Most hated common names

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Singapore blue and Gooty sapphire. The damn spiders aren't even found there! Although I do think there's probably a good history behind the two names! I think I've read something about a mad scientist (as in angry) trying to get revenge on someone by messing up all of their labels. To think people used to be so petty, glad that's changed! :meh:

milky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Barking bird eater (I am not making this up)

... Oh really, does it chase the mailman to?

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
I always thought C. andersoni was Malaysian Mahogany? Which describes the color much better than mustard...

And on the plus, every time I hear the name I think of this:
Good to know! I just googled Burmese mustard tarantula and C andersoni was what popped up first. Add another one to the list! One of them can be Honey Mustard or even Dijon :D

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I have to say, I despise common names altogether, for multiple reasons.
Being stereotypical German in some ways, there are things I just want to be done right.
There must be order, after all. :rage:
And that is, for example, using the right names for the right things, pronouncing them right, if possible.
However, there's one exception, but that one has less to do with it being a common name made up by indifferent people that cannot be arsed to remember/learn a few Latin names.
It rather is more a "pop-cultural" kind of nick-name: Orange Bitey Thing. :vamp:
That one is just... I don't know it just works.

*looks to the right*

Especially since my OBT is glued to its enclosure's wall right now staring at me like Dr. Okun in Independence Day...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ddannison

Arachnopeon
At last month's remote show I saw a vendor with many containers individually labeled "baboon tarantula." I don't even think they were trying

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
I hate the common name for the LP: the "Salmon-pink Birdeater". Pink? Where's the pink part? If it WAS pink, that would actually be really cool, but the LP is not pink. Every LP I've ever seen is either a navy blue or a purplish color. It looks awesome, but it ain't pink. Please, pinch-grab an LP and closely examine it for a pink color. I guarantee you will not find it.
I always get this image in my head when I hear that name.
Pink-salmon.jpg

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I hate the common name for the LP: the "Salmon-pink Birdeater". Pink? Where's the pink part? If it WAS pink, that would actually be really cool, but the LP is not pink. Every LP I've ever seen is either a navy blue or a purplish color. It looks awesome, but it ain't pink. Please, pinch-grab an LP and closely examine it for a pink color. I guarantee you will not find it.
Oh yeah, the first time I found out about LPs that irked me too, even though they're now my favorite New World species. I believe the pink it's referring to is the hairs on it's body but that's as dumb as calling an A. Metallica a 'Frosty White Birdeater'.

Eva

Arachnosquire
Common names should ALL be banned.
Not only do they sound ridiculous, but their existence makes no sense either. If you want to learn a new spider, why make up stuff like "The salmon red knee birdeating chevron goliath beauty", when there's a perfectly good name for it already and it actually tells you something about its place in the taxonomy?
That said, the "Pink zebra beauty" has to take the cake. It sound like a pedigree name for a gay horse :rofl:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my favorite is when people argue on the correct common name. :banghead::meh:

least favorite common name has to be "King Baboon". like, its only the females that are worth owning at all. King does not equal female! :mad:

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I think common names are important because it makes it easier to talk about T's to people not in the hobby because scientific names seem to confuse and enrage some but I don't like how many "birdeaters" there are. Hey this spider get to be 4 inches lets give it a super sweet name like rainbow maroon birdeater redleg... *face palm

Devin B

Arachnobaron
my favorite is when people argue on the correct common name. :banghead::meh:

least favorite common name has to be "King Baboon". like, its only the females that are worth owning at all. King does not equal female! :mad:
Not only that but the common name king baboon implies that is better than all other baboon tarantulas which is crazy.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I think common names are important because it makes it easier to talk about T's to people not in the hobby because scientific names seem to confuse and enrage some but I don't like how many "birdeaters" there are. Hey this spider get to be 4 inches lets give it a super sweet name like rainbow maroon birdeater redleg... *face palm
I agree for the most part, but also, who that ISNT in the hobby care enough anyways? You could lay out the easiest to know common name and theyre only going to think "HE SAID TARANTULA. HE SAID IT. ITS IN HIS BAG, ISNT IT!! HE HAS IT RIGHT NOW! ITS GONNA JUMP ON MY FACE, I KNOW, BECAUSE ITS AS BIG AS A DINNER PLATE"
Thats another thing. I dont like that either. Maybe i just need to measure a dinner plate, but that seems a little too large for a looot of species. Talking about a dwarf species, some average civilian in the background yells "Those get huuuuuge!" Because thats all they think of. So frustrating.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Not only that but the common name king baboon implies that is better than all other baboon tarantulas which is crazy.
doesnt need to imply anything. a giant 8" chocolate brown queen hissing and striking at you with those back legs is enough to convert anybody. im not much for terrestrials, but that is one i will never sell.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I agree for the most part, but also, who that ISNT in the hobby care enough anyways? You could lay out the easiest to know common name and theyre only going to think "HE SAID TARANTULA. HE SAID IT. ITS IN HIS BAG, ISNT IT!! HE HAS IT RIGHT NOW! ITS GONNA JUMP ON MY FACE, I KNOW, BECAUSE ITS AS BIG AS A DINNER PLATE"
Thats another thing. I dont like that either. Maybe i just need to measure a dinner plate, but that seems a little too large for a looot of species. Talking about a dwarf species, some average civilian in the background yells "Those get huuuuuge!" Because thats all they think of. So frustrating.
I will admit that its a very small amount of people, but I know a few people that arent freaked out by them.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I will admit that its a very small amount of people, but I know a few people that arent freaked out by them.
I would like to meet them. All of the ones I know are under the pet store brain wash impression that they like being held, which is less tolerable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devin B

Arachnobaron
doesnt need to imply anything. a giant 8" chocolate brown queen hissing and striking at you with those back legs is enough to convert anybody. im not much for terrestrials, but that is one i will never sell.
I never said that it needs to imply that its better than other baboons. It just does since the word "king" is synonymous with "best" or "most important".

Devin B

Arachnobaron
That... makes me very sad. I actually teared up a little. I long for the day that I may join the noble order of the Goddess 0.1 P. muticus PBUH in his honor and hope that he may return to ordain me when that day comes.
I would like to meet them. All of the ones I know are under the pet store brain wash impression that they like being held, which is less tolerable.
Its just a few friends of mine. One of them got me a GBB for my birthday last year. It was also my second T