Most hated common names

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Do I have any votes on changing "Red Slate Ornamental" to "Emerald Ornamental?" When I first heard of them, I was praying that a red pokie actually existed:sorry:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Its just a few friends of mine. One of them got me a GBB for my birthday last year. It was also my second T
You have the best friends. All of mine would probably shake my enclosures until the legs fell off.

Timc

Arachnosquire
Do I have any votes on changing "Red Slate Ornamental" to "Emerald Ornamental?" When I first heard of them, I was praying that a red pokie actually existed:sorry:
I would vote to change it because there're not a speck of red on them. The hairs have a beautiful pink/purple hue to them. But they're not quite emerald either. I'd go more with "Green bastard tarantula; from parts....unknown"

Anyone?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I don't really get "Green Bottle Blue". I mean, is it derived from green bottle fly? If so, would Green Bottle Orange not make more sense? Is it derived from Cockney rhyme slang ('Bottle and Glass') and if so, the abdomen is not green, it's orange. Perhaps it's perfectly understandable for native English speakers, but I always thought it is confusing. :confused:
I call it the Green Orange Bottom Blue just cause.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I don't know if I have a least favorite common name, but there are a couple of common... common name features that irk me. First is birdeater. Most of the spiders called that don't come near birds, how in the world would they eat a bird‽. I mean, there was that paper where someone caught a wild LK carrying off a lizard. Maybe it should be the Bahia scarlet lizardeater? At least that's reasonably accurate. LK's are from Bahia; they have reddish/scarlet setae; they occasionally eat lizards.

That brings up my other common complaint: using "Brazilian" to signify where the spider is from. Brazil is a big country with many different biomes. It's like calling the Aphonopelma chalcodes the "American blonde". that's less than helpful. Brazil has states. I wish they were used more in common names. While they do use "birdeater", that's why I have some appreciation for "Bahia scarlet birdeater" and "Itabuna scarlet birdeater".

TarantulaArvind

Arachnopeon
However, there's one exception, but that one has less to do with it being a common name made up by indifferent people that cannot be arsed to remember/learn a few Latin names.
It rather is more a "pop-cultural" kind of nick-name: Orange Bitey Thing. :vamp:
That one is just... I don't know it just works.

*looks to the right*

Especially since my OBT is glued to its enclosure's wall right now staring at me like Dr. Okun in Independence Day...
Green bottle blue works just fine too.. Not that people are going to confuse it with a P. metallica that's having an orange butt .. :D:p

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I think common names should just be the English translation of the scientific. For example, Aphonopelma seemani would be Seeman's Silentfoot. Sounds good to me.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I think common names should just be the English translation of the scientific. For example, Aphonopelma seemani would be Seeman's Silentfoot. Sounds good to me.
Somehow I doubt that the "Diamantina long-nipple" (Dolichothele diamantinensis) would catch on.
Dolicho is derived from the ancient Greek δολιχός ‎(dolikhós), which means "long." Thele is derived from the ancient Greek θηλή ‎(thēlḗ), which means "teat" or "nipple." The name diamantinensis refers to Diamantina, a nearby city.​

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@sasker I think 'green bottle blue' is the common name because the green colour is the same colour if a green glass bottle.
Still doesn't make sense though.

Last edited by a moderator:

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Somehow I doubt that the "Diamantina long-nipple" (Dolichothele diamantinensis) would catch on.
Dolicho is derived from the ancient Greek δολιχός ‎(dolikhós), which means "long." Thele is derived from the ancient Greek θηλή ‎(thēlḗ), which means "teat" or "nipple." The name diamantinensis refers to Diamantina, a nearby city.​
But so fun!