Meanest Nastiest T Ever

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
This has probably been ask before. What would you name the meanest, nastiest, hates everybody and everything, T a person could have.
not that it is your intention, but this question always seems to mean, "What spider can I get that will make me look like a badass?"

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
not that it is your intention, but this question always seems to mean, "What spider can I get that will make me look like a badass?"
If I would have wanted to know that I would have ask. If someone thinks a spider makes them look badass, then they got more problems than can be cured.

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 10:05 AM ----------

Mine would be my H. lividum, the slightest touch of her enclosure results in a threat pose. She's not a "pet hole", as most (3/4) of the time she is on the surface, especially Tuesdays, food day. Lol! Close 2nd is my G. rosea (RCF), been doing "threat pose" since 2" dls and now at 5" dls will occasionally charge a couple of steps toward tongs while doing maintenance. Too cute. Lol!
My MF G porteri is the same. All my other Ts will run for cover when you move their box. Touch hers and out she comes, and will run to any sounds or movement she sees. She moves quick to get there to. If she gets close she will raise a leg or two but has never did a real threat pose or attacked. It's almost like shes saying, oh boy somebodys here to play with me. Maybe I'll get one of those metal butcher gloves and see if she wants to play!! The first time I put the male in with her she took 20min to go to him. Second time she ran to him like she was glad to see him. Whole thing took 3-4 min. She took control. WOW, thats almost like my sex life.

awiec

Arachnoprince
P.cancerides (or really, Phormictopus sp. in general); it's one of the things I love about them. They're defensive to the point that it wouldn't be too far off-base to call them aggressive. And there's just something about a feisty tarantula that strikes me as adorable, rather than frightening. My Phormictopus sp.purple slings have threated at me...they're a little over 1"...
Mine is a pansey, he ducks for cover as soon as I touch the cage, I've seen him teleport more than my pokies and tap.

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately that's an attraction for some people to get a first spider, especially OBT's.
I've got OBTs and a couple OW. I know I don't feel like a badass cause I know who's boss and it sure aint me !!!

gobey

Arachnoknight
I feel like if it weren't for the fact that her venom is stronger, my G. porteri would kick my OBT's ass.

My OBT is relatively calm. Never a threat display. Even before she settled into her hide and she was out all the time she would remain still during maintenance and feeding. Now she's a bit more of a recluse.

My G. porteri however. She was a real sweetheart for about a month. Then she decided I had my grace period as a new keeper and she showed her true colors. She's greeted me with a full threat display upon opening the enclosure, she runs to any disturbance in the substrate, she will confront and bite anything that touches her, and I've seen her kick hairs too.

She thinks everything is food, and if she finds out it's not, then she's prepared to fight it to the death.
She's pretty intense.

PlaidJaguar

Arachnoknight
My B. albo. She's a bite first, ask questions later type of gal. They say Ts aren't aggressive but Quixote will fly across her enclosure to bite anything that touches down, lol.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
My B. boehmei girl kicks hairs whenever I move her enclosure, definitely the most vicious!! ;)

awiec

Arachnoprince
+1. They aren't angry by themselves. They react to intruders. Keep intrusions as minimal and infrequent as possible.
This is why my Tap and my OW have a beautiful relationship with me. I set up their cages to where I can do what I need to without cornering them; I don't scare them and they don't bite me.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I set up their cages to where I can do what I need to without cornering them; I don't scare them and they don't bite me.
That's the kind of relationship to have with spiders. Let them carry on with their lives, and you can get a glimpse of their secret worlds.

gobey

Arachnoknight
+1. They aren't angry by themselves. They react to intruders. Keep intrusions as minimal and infrequent as possible.
I learned this around my 1 month mark. Shortly after joining this forum. I had my G. porteri for a month, and my A. avic for only 5 days less than her. I handled them each about 3 times, and had touched my porteri more. All sorts of really dumb stuff. I had rehoused them each too. I had the 1998 version of TKG... So I was learning. But we know what that book says about handling.

But I was going to receive my 2 L. parahybanas I ordered. And I discovered the enclosure my porteri was in was actually TOO big and she wasn't happy in it. And I needed it too because I had only planned on one L. parahybana. But my first trip tp the classifieds here was a sign of my T purchasing habits to come...

Anyways... It was rehousing my porteri into a slightly larger version of what she came in to make her more comfortable, that she actually took a fall and I kid you not that seemed to be wbat triggered her grumpy switch. She's been the way I described since that day. I tested ger temperament out a few times after, not wanting to believe my T was no longer docile and handlable like I was promised she would be.

And upon unpacking the larger LP (4" at the time), I took my first urticating hair and had my first escape attempt.

I started to agree with the hands off approach.

Let them be as often possible. Watch. Interact with the environment when they are retreated or away from where I'm working.

This is how my Ts and I seem to do well enough right now. I'd never change the formula because I'm not looking to experience my OBT proving me wrong that she's less defensive than the porteri.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Depends on the T also, some OBT are not very defense. Others are crazy, and will show fangs if you even go near them.

They all behave fine when , unprovoked.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Depends on the T also, some OBT are not very defense. Others are crazy, and will show fangs if you even go near them.
I've seen different behavior from,my friend's MM. It was very reclusive, but it had a little bit of a larger personal space bubble that if violated would cause him to flip out.

I have 2 slings that are spazballs. They both just molted. One focused it's efforts on regenerating 2 lost legs. The other on adding some,serious size. Maybe it's male. I'm curious to see how they'll behave.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I've seen different behavior from,my friend's MM. It was very reclusive, but it had a little bit of a larger personal space bubble that if violated would cause him to flip out.

I have 2 slings that are spazballs. They both just molted. One focused it's efforts on regenerating 2 lost legs. The other on adding some,serious size. Maybe it's male. I'm curious to see how they'll behave.
I've had some radical personality changes after molts. My P.metallica used to be a pretty chill spider when younger, the past molt has seen it (him) turn into a very excitable threat posing ball of blue; he's due for another molt so we'll see if he changes again.

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Very interesting replies. Very glad I started this thread. Seems like they do change their attitude after molts. Good for everyone to know.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Very interesting replies. Very glad I started this thread. Seems like they do change their attitude after molts. Good for everyone to know.
I've had some positive changes too, my T.gigas and P.vitatta both drastically calmed down after one molt and are probably some of my easiest to care for wards; so it's not all bad.