Meanest Nastiest T Ever

Halftrak

Arachnopeon
Out of my "usual suspects" one would consider defensive; an OBT, an Ephebopus murinas, a Phlogius sp "Stents", and a G Rosea... its actually my Rose Hair that throws the biggest tantrums. If it senses anything, it runs around its enclosure and fluffs up all its substrate. I've never seen it throw a threat pose, but it bites at EVERYTHING. Youd think it was starving to death if it wasn't such a chub lol. The rest are super well behaved even during transfers. Think I lucked out on the specimens in my gang. I do have four King Baboons in the mail though and some tiny H macs that may become boisterous =)... so that could change lol.

I also imagine a lot of it depends on the person working with them too and their overall patience and "tact".

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Out of my collection; H.maculata, OBT, and my Blue-Fang are the most easily agitated. I have a C.darlingi whom I can already tell will probably grow up to be like these others as well.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Of the 22 in my collection, I'd have to say the grouchiest is also the biggest: My 9 inch MF LP. She definitely DOES not like me being in her enclosure for any reason. I've haven't been bitten (yet), but I've been slapped with those massive front legs of hers plenty of times.

On the other hand, I have 4 T's (G. pulchra, B. emilia, one B. albopilosum, and one G. rosea) that, when they sense my hand in their enclosures (to change water, etc), will come right over and put their front legs on my hand. :)

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Of the 22 in my collection, I'd have to say the grouchiest is also the biggest: My 9 inch MF LP. She definitely DOES not like me being in her enclosure for any reason. I've haven't been bitten (yet), but I've been slapped with those massive front legs of hers plenty of times.

On the other hand, I have 4 T's (G. pulchra, B. emilia, one B. albopilosum, and one G. rosea) that, when they sense my hand in their enclosures (to change water, etc), will come right over and put their front legs on my hand. :)
See thats the kind of reaction I'm talking about. One of two reasons, either they are getting you in range for a bite or they know, however how, that you're not a threat and only good happens when your hand is there, food, water, cleaning. True they don't reason in their mind like we do, but I really feel there is something there that says "your ok".

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Not a tarantula, but Calisoga is pretty much the meanest spider in existence.. they make OBT's look tame! Just getting a few feet away from one will provoke a threat posture.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
None for me. I can hold everything in my collection without an issue. I've always had bad luck getting defensive t's even my old 9 inch ornata female is docile. My t's seem to tolerate me and don't seem to feel threatened, since they aren't as skittish even when you make noises in my room.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
None for me. I can hold everything in my collection without an issue. I've always had bad luck getting defensive t's even my old 9 inch ornata female is docile. My t's seem to tolerate me and don't seem to feel threatened, since they aren't as skittish even when you make noises in my room.
I wouldn't hold my 7.5" P ornata even if it was docile, It has one of the worst pokie bites. I have held several others only during rehouse.
I might have held her when smaller during rehouse though.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They have the worst venom in tarantulas.

And I usually only hold my avics and brachy, since most of the time my avics run out on to me like I'm a tree they can climb lol.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I think there's a number of contenders for that honor.
S calciatum also but I wouldn't want to get bitten by both too see who won lol ! H mac, OBT, Old worlds in general have potent venom, due to lack of hairs.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've done some online research and gone by some hobbyists who have been in the hobby for a bit. I guess you can go test yourself ;)

I would love to hear your contenders for the worst vemon? Advan you seem to know everything, so you should inform me.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've gone by some hobbyists who have been in the hobby for a bit.
Whatever they've said is anecdotal and subject to many variables (spider size, spider irritation, person's weight, person's health, pre-existing conditions, place they're bitten, medication they're on, etc), you can't get anything firm from them, other than 'Don't get bit by this one.'

Last edited:

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was going to say there was too many variables. Poec, what do you think is the top contenders?

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
I've done some online research and gone by some hobbyists who have been in the hobby for a bit. I guess you can go test yourself ;)

I would love to hear your contenders for the worst vemon? Advan you seem to know everything, so you should inform me.
You did the only thing you can do, research. Just because someone here says it is or isn't, that means almost nothing. I don't think you need to justify yourself. Research on the internet involves a lot more people than are on this board, and the vast majority of them say it is in the top 5.

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 12:43 PM ----------

I was going to say there was too many variables. Poec, what do you think is the top contenders?
Variables rhymes with opinions.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Research on the internet involves a lot more people than are on this board.

'Research' also involves a lot more than people's rambling stories about being bitten. Almost none of them would be considered to be written up to any kind of medical or scientific standards. They have value as a rough guideline, but you can't draw much in the way of conclusions from them.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
'Research' also involves a lot more than people's rambling stories about being bitten. Almost none of them would be considered to be written up to any kind of medical or scientific standards. They have value as a rough guideline, but you can't draw much in the way of conclusions from them.
Just like research on vaccines and GMO's. "I read on a site that...."

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I don't think you need to justify yourself.
When you make a statement without any data, resources or studies to back up your claims, you do need to justify such a statement. We don't need another 'hearsay statement' to be spread around as a "fact". Many of us are sick of correcting them and would like to nip them in the bud when we can. Cheers.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Whatever they've said is anecdotal and subject to many variables (spider size, spider irritation, person's weight, person's health, pre-existing conditions, medication they're on, etc), you can't get anything firm from them, other than 'Don't get bit by this one.'
Maybe we can start a "Don't get bit by this one" list. Also, bite reports are great and all, but they lack information that no keeper can supply......the amount of venom (by potential percentage?) that they were injected with from said bite. We can't measure it plain and simple.......so unless you own a biology PHD and study tarantula venom, then you have no idea the effects of any given species. Heck, even obtaining enough venom to study is a tall order. And like poec54 said here, lots of other factors involved.

End of story....no way to tell for sure.....but that "Don't get bit by this one" list, I think most can agree, contains mostly old worlds.