Massive Die off in 24 hours

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like I said in my original post. I'm not buying it. The OP is to vague and seems almost uninterested in our questions and suggestions.
I was just about to quote your original post - because I'm beginning to think along the same lines. The OP has provided very few details, and has not been participating in the discussion of this "critical" concern.

Not yet saying he's a troll. But there's obviously more to the story than we are being told, and he doesn't seem terribly interested in telling us the rest.

Randomhero148

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
taking a shot in the dark here.. But could of there been something possibly on your hands? I dont know if you grab your feeders one by one like i do. But i always make sure i wash my hands properly and then properly rinse them off to make sure there is no soap left on them.

Im throwing out random things here that might be completly off K.

Gas leak? stove or heating pilot.
Maybe someone purposly killed your tarantulas.
Some sort of tarantula disease that can be passed to one and another.
Mold.
Maybe something in the substrate.

Recently using any products in your house, fabreeze, wood polish, air fresheners, deoderants.

Maybe fed your feeders something bad, or have something on them. Check the feeders out.

Thats all I really can think of, something dramatics happend. Something that severe I would think would be obvious.

Like everyone said provide as many details as you can so we all can think of what possibly happend. You have so many people on these boards that we all can narrow it down if you provide even the dumbest information. I mean like when did you replace the substrate to last time you cleaned the tanks to where you get your feeders to what you put them in, what do you feed them, do you wash off their food. I dont know if the rest of them might pass it sounds like a possibility but if you want to possibly save them you need to give as much information as humanly possible so everyone can help.

Hope this helps and good luck, and sorry for your loss.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow! that sux!

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you............hang in there, man....try to learn from situation...Jason

Vaughn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
taking a shot in the dark here.. But could of there been something possibly on your hands? I dont know if you grab your feeders one by one like i do. But i always make sure i wash my hands properly and then properly rinse them off to make sure there is no soap left on them.

Im throwing out random things here that might be completly off K.

Gas leak? stove or heating pilot.
Maybe someone purposly killed your tarantulas.
Some sort of tarantula disease that can be passed to one and another.
Mold.
Maybe something in the substrate.

Recently using any products in your house, fabreeze, wood polish, air fresheners, deoderants.

Maybe fed your feeders something bad, or have something on them. Check the feeders out.

Thats all I really can think of, something dramatics happend. Something that severe I would think would be obvious.

Like everyone said provide as many details as you can so we all can think of what possibly happend. You have so many people on these boards that we all can narrow it down if you provide even the dumbest information. I mean like when did you replace the substrate to last time you cleaned the tanks to where you get your feeders to what you put them in, what do you feed them, do you wash off their food. I dont know if the rest of them might pass it sounds like a possibility but if you want to possibly save them you need to give as much information as humanly possible so everyone can help.

Hope this helps and good luck, and sorry for your loss.
Maybe you are on to something , it might be a furnace or a heating problem . Here in Michigan we have had to turn on the heat this past week . The first time you run the furnace theres that terrible smell and God only knows what you put into the air . It burns off rather quickly but maybe its enough to kill a T . Not knowing where the OP is from it might not be an issue . Just a guess .

pturski

Arachnopeon

Sorry I dont reply often I only have the internet at work. But no the crickets did not have calcium on them. Also I did turn the heat on over the past week that may have done it. But I would think that the amphibians would be affected. Also my friend lives in the next apartment over and he has a massive collection and all of his animals are fine so I do not think it is the apartment complex. I did treat my cat within the last week for fleas with the stuff that goes in between his shoulder blades. But that stuff is not supposed to be air born because if it was then people would be affected.

Daehon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The stuff you put on your cat was it advantage? If so I use it on my dogs all the time with no ill effects to my T's.

pturski

Arachnopeon

I live in Ohio the weather is cool right now. I feed crickets and get food from the local pet store.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That Advantage/Frontline/whatever is some nasty stuff. It's made to kill arachnids (ticks) so it will annihilate spiders as well. It's also made to stick to skin/fur and absorb into the skin. If you didn't really scrub your hands well after treating your cat then fed some spiders you could have spread it via contact with the feeders to all those T's. We've seen it happen before.

I think this is a likely scenario seeing how it didn't affect any of your 'phibs or herps.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That Advantage/Frontline/whatever is some nasty stuff. It's made to kill arachnids (ticks) so it will annihilate spiders as well. It's also made to stick to skin/fur and absorb into the skin. If you didn't really scrub your hands well after treating your cat then fed some spiders you could have spread it via contact with the feeders to all those T's. We've seen it happen before.

I think this is a likely scenario seeing how it didn't affect any of your 'phibs or herps.
Does your cat have access to the area where your cages are? Were the tarantulas that died ones that you fed right after treating your cat? I agree with Moltar - so far this is the best scenario you've presented us with.

Whatever happened, it was sudden. I think we can rule out diseases - they take a while to spread. There was a sudden introduction of some environmental change. Either a heater kicked on and cooked the victims, or something toxic reached their cages. And the one toxin you've mentioned was designed to kill arachnids and appeared immediately before the deaths.

Daehon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Good call, Moltar, when I use any of that kind of stuff I make sure I wear rubber gloves just so I don't spread it at all, because it will absorb into your skin as well.

pturski

Arachnopeon

Yea it was advantage. But I cant recall touching the cat then touching my spider cages and the cat does not have access to the room.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yea it was advantage. But I cant recall touching the cat then touching my spider cages and the cat does not have access to the room.
Well, maybe you messed with the feeders, or some contaminated hairs got in the room, or something of that nature. You said nothing was out of the ordinary, so you may have not noticed. Easy to do, especially when everyone appears fine. I don't use the stuff on my dogs anymore, I switched to Comfortis, which is a tablet. (although I shudder at the memory of making a cat swallow a pill lol)

That is a massive die off, and I'm very sorry for you loss. Just don't let it discourage you!
I once lost a Veiled Chameleon, a Savannah Monitor, and a Corn snake within three days of a new gas heater being installed in my apartment. The ones positioned closest to the source were the first ones to go. I'm thinking it was some sort of chemical coating burning off the brand new element. Needless to say, I didn't get back into herps until I moved out of there.
Something happened, and it apparently isn't poor husbandry practices. Once again, sorry for the loss!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently used some of my CBB slings (P.irminia and P.cambridgei) to test the toxicity of "Quick Bayt" and "Golden Malrin" flybaits. I had loose granules in a bowl and the slings in ventilated vials locked inside 1/2 gallon ice cream containers for 3 weeks without ill effects. Temps in the office where I kept them ranged from upper 60's to 82F. I am now using these 2 products in my home for phorid fly control. The Quick Bayt contains the same active ingredient (pesticide) used in Advantage which is (imidacloprid). The Golden Malrin contains the pesticide methomyl. Unless your treated pets are in direct contact with your tarantulas these products appear safe. Di

iluvcreepystuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anything you came in contact with before doing any thing t related activities could have done it. (ex: bug spray,those pesticides you put on your yard,gardening chemicals,anything like that.)
Whatever cause this I am so srry for your loses and if I were you I would all of the animals you can out of that house as it could still be around.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pturski.

I have am pretty sure I have a female b. vagans about 1.5-2" as well as a bunch of Nhandu chromatus about 1/3" slings you can have for free. p.m me if interested..

Kris

iluvcreepystuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pturski.

I have am pretty sure I have a female b. vagans about 1.5-2" as well as a bunch of Nhandu chromatus about 1/3" slings you can have for free. p.m me if interested..

Kris
You are one of the most caring non-selfish people I no of. Im sure god is happy with you rite now.;)

pturski

Arachnopeon

Well what ever it was I learned my lesson and I am very careful now. I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.

pturski

Arachnopeon

All of the spiders that survived the die off seem to be doing great and I have to feed them tonight.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, maybe you messed with the feeders, or some contaminated hairs got in the room, or something of that nature. You said nothing was out of the ordinary, so you may have not noticed. Easy to do, especially when everyone appears fine. I don't use the stuff on my dogs anymore, I switched to Comfortis, which is a tablet. (although I shudder at the memory of making a cat swallow a pill lol)

That is a massive die off, and I'm very sorry for you loss. Just don't let it discourage you!
I once lost a Veiled Chameleon, a Savannah Monitor, and a Corn snake within three days of a new gas heater being installed in my apartment. The ones positioned closest to the source were the first ones to go. I'm thinking it was some sort of chemical coating burning off the brand new element. Needless to say, I didn't get back into herps until I moved out of there.
Something happened, and it apparently isn't poor husbandry practices. Once again, sorry for the loss!

don't mean to stray off topic here but what did you do? did you call the gas heater company and get compensation or anything.

to the OP i got G.rosea slings coming way and ill give you a couple no charge. the mother has a blue tinge to it dont know if that make s a difference