Massive Die off in 24 hours

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's definitely not something due to husbandry. For 1/2 a collection to be lost it would have to be so atrocious that the T's would have died long ago. T's won't just die overnight because husbandry requirements are a little off. I agree with most other posters that it is likely due to some sort of poisoning. Whether it is from chemicals in the air, food or water will be very difficult to say.

Did anything change before this happened? New food source? New T room?

pturski

Arachnopeon

I also think that if it was a chemical thing in the air that my poison dart frogs and other amphibians that are in the room would be affected but I know that all chemicals affect all animals differently.

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
None of the T's were on there back so I know they were not molting. Also I do check them to make sure that they are humid through out the week so if one was a little dry before I watered on thursday I watered it. The food should have been fine I have no idea if that was the cause. Nothing was sprayed. I dont know if it is possible to have neurological issues but one of the versicolor was fine friday and yesterday was slow and sluggish and could bairly move. It wanted to strike but it tried and then fell to the side. Im lost for thoughts.
You are really not giving us much to work with here. Some pics of the room, some more info, anything. So you water once a week. What is different this week as apposed to other weeks. the control was the way thing were and the variables would be the things that have changed to cause this terrible tragedy. So what is different.

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What were you feeding? Did you JUST feed all your T's? or just that half of the population?

pturski

Arachnopeon

I feed all the Ts the same food source and nothing this week was any different then any other weeks.

pturski

Arachnopeon

I dont know how the food would be the problem because I give some of my frogs the same crickets as the Ts also I give the same water to all my amphibians and herps that I give my Ts. I will try and post pictures of the room. It is roughly a 6x8 room with wire racks full of frog, snake, and lizars tanks

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
no offense, but i am about to give up

it is like expecting a police detective to be able to solve a case with no clues!

detail what you feed, how you feed, where you get feeders from.
detail what you water, how you water, where you get you water from (possibly even down to city and district if you use tapwater).
detail conditions of where cages are. what country, what climate, what state, what room, what floor, etc.

edit:
i didn't see any of the OP's 12:4X posts. that is a bit of start, but not nearly detailed enough.

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone smoke in your household?

I think everyone just wants to know more details so perhaps we can help solve what happened.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no offense, but i am about to give up

it is like expecting a police detective to be able to solve a case with no clues!
Agreed. I'm not a fortune teller or a psychic. Without information to analyze, there's nothing to be done here.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i can pretty much guarantee that it wouldn't be someone smoking

my collection used to live a recording studio =P

though maybe crack smoke or something harsher would be much quicker in action

i had a pet black widow (L. hesperus) named sPot that was my smoking partner for many months. she probably had ~5 cigs a day blown on to her... and was doing great until i accidentally left her cage in the sun

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Agreed. I'm not a fortune teller or a psychic. Without information to analyze, there's nothing to be done here.
i *am* psycho and it isn't helping

oh, psychic. the results are still out on that one

hehehehe

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would check water first. Maybe there was a problem in the water distribution network and either some drug got into this from outside, or some drug was added for sterilization purpose, after a break sealing in a tube.

Another possibility is a drug through aircraft wide area spray, against some common pests like mosquitoes for example, done this particular day (or a day before). This depends on the area you are living and the weather conditions as well.

Maybe the dose was enough to kill not all the spiders but those that were more sensible to the poison. I suppose that other animals, as bigger ones, could come through it.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Did you recently change any substrate? What do you use for substrate? Sounds like some kind of toxin to me. Does anyone in your house hate T's who might have sabotoged you? Did you have the windows open? Are you in an apartment or shared house with vents that might come from the other side?

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You say you have amphibians, but do you have reptiles also? Cricket feeders for reptiles (lizards) are often coated in a white calcium supplement because it's great for vertebrates like lizards, but it's not beneficial and can in fact be harmful to T's. It can get stuck in their booklungs. I don't know if this may be the case with you. If you do this, it may be contributing factor? (Just speculating).

Last edited:

Moose9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss. I can't think of anything to ask or add, as it seems to of been covered. Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of this mystery.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The fact that the OP had pokies and psalmos that died mysteriously makes me wonder about sabotage/chemicals or drugs, too. Aren't those species supposed to be really tough? (moisture and warmth) :?

What do you make your substrate of? Just throwing some other possibilities out there.. maybe fertilizer..

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Like I said in my original post. I'm not buying it. The OP is to vague and seems almost uninterested in our questions and suggestions.