Macropanesthia rhinoceros

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Yikes, that sucks, especially since this species usually only gives birth once in captivity.
The one female I thought would have a second brood finally did a few weeks ago but from my experience the production of multiple broods is unusual. You (Galopheros) could send me your female if you want to see if she's exceptional and I'd split any offspring produced. I have some adult males.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
The one female I thought would have a second brood finally did a few weeks ago but from my experience the production of multiple broods is unusual. You (Galopheros) could send me your female if you want to see if she's exceptional and I'd split any offspring produced. I have some adult males.
That's great to hear, too bad that's the exception rather than the rule though.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I'm not so disappointed now, though I hate dead-ends with breeding though. I have so much going on right now, a little overwhelmed with stuff, have to set things up better later with all this stuff. But I now have the youguns set up in separate containers, looks good. I read Orin's experience there also with reproduction, hoping it's his experience and not natural law there but whatever. Here are the Arenivaga that took over.

Those are definitely not A.bolliana, they may be tonkawa, but that mature female in the first pic looks pretty red colored, which seems unusual for tonkawa, (or at least for the individuals I've seen). @Lucanus95, what do you think?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Orin that was the first time I dug them up. Earlier I was seeing signs of them on the surface, new holes, less leaves, but then I saw nothing was changing in there. I've gotten behind on everything, knee surgery and crutches and the thought of doing it again is dragging me down a bit. I finally dug them up late last night hoping to see at least 10 or so and only saw 4. I don't know when she had the babies, I took the male out as he looked like he had been "kicked out" and noticed an injury on his exo, he eventually he died. Yeah the female looks fine, I'll consider your option there. Sure is nice to have 2 working legs, I don't realize what I have until I don't have it anymore.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Hisserdude, there maybe be 2 diff species in there, I don't really care about them but when I found a few I just dropped them in, from different localities. They used to be hard to find for me but now I can find them pretty easily ...when I can walk anyway! haha. Do what appears to be diff species interbreed?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
@Hisserdude, there maybe be 2 diff species in there, I don't really care about them but when I found a few I just dropped them in, from different localities. They used to be hard to find for me but now I can find them pretty easily ...when I can walk anyway! haha. Do what appears to be diff species interbreed?
If there are two species in the enclosure then it's possible they could hybridise, however species that have overlapping ranges usually can't breed with each other, otherwise there would be tons of hybrids in the wild.
Can you specify the localities of the Arenivaga? (At least down to county?) Range can help a lot when trying to identify these.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If there are two species in the enclosure then it's possible they could hybridise, however species that have overlapping ranges usually can't breed with each other, otherwise there would be tons of hybrids in the wild.
Can you specify the localities of the Arenivaga? (At least down to county?) Range can help a lot when trying to identify these.

Waller county and Burnet county

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Waller county and Burnet county
Thank you very much. They could be either Arenivaga tonkawa or A.erratica, both have records from Burnet county, however I did not find any records of any Arenivaga from Waller county. Do any of your males ever have black pronotum markings, as opposed to the reddish brown that was on the specimen pictured?
Sorry about hii-jacking this thread BTW, we can continue this in a PM if you prefer.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I found 3 at the base of a fixer upper I bought in northern Waller county, where it's humid and has a semi-tropical feel at times. I was removing grass away from the foundation with a grubbing hoe, it's really an antique pulaski axe(never knew), accidently killed the first one but like you I was surprised to find one there so wanted to see another even though I'm not real interested in them. I let the next one I saw get away but managed to grab the next one I saw. It may be the diet, temp, don't know but both from Burnet co and Waller females were darker and bigger, looked similar. Don't know what's going on with the reddish pronotum either.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I found 3 at the base of a fixer upper I bought in northern Waller county, where it's humid and has a semi-tropical feel at times. I was removing grass away from the foundation with a grubbing hoe, it's really an antique pulaski axe(never knew), accidently killed the first one but like you I was surprised to find one there so wanted to see another even though I'm not real interested in them. I let the next one I saw get away but managed to grab the next one I saw. It may be the diet, temp, don't know but both from Burnet co and Waller females were darker and bigger, looked similar. Don't know what's going on with the reddish pronotum either.
Interesting, well they look cool, don't know if they are A.tonkawa or not, or if you have two species cohabitating in the same enclosure, once I have some money to spend on bugs I may want to buy a dozen or so from you, will definitely let you know if I'm interested! :)