Macropanesthia rhinoceros

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I woke up and just wasn't sleepy, went to look in the bug room and saw some babies. Obviously they've been around a while, a little bigger than I expected even though I didn't even know they were in there. Don't know if the mom is still around or not.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I woke up and just wasn't sleepy, went to look in the bug room and saw some babies. Obviously they've been around a while, a little bigger than I expected even though I didn't even know they were in there. Don't know if the mom is still around or not.
Nice, glad to see this species is doing well for you! :D Keep us updated on them!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They do seem a little expensive even in au. So when is the best time to thin them out to their own pads, wait until I see them out at night?

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats on the nymphs! The more people breeding these the merrier. A sweet species to get spread out into the hobby.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It says on an Australia site that they are in the upper 60's underground there but it's 80 degrees in the room they are in and they have done just fine over here.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
It says on an Australia site that they are in the upper 60's underground there but it's 80 degrees in the room they are in and they have done just fine over here.
Ooh, make sure it doesn't get too hot in there, I've heard that temperatures above 85 can be harmful to this species...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm, OK, maybe they are getting some evaporative cooling going on, there is a fan in there but will keep an eye on it.

stingray

Arachnobaron
Ok. They must be more hardier despite what you read on them.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OH no!! I only found 4 juvs. I think I waited to long to go through the substrate. There are also 100s of Arenivaga in there, hope that didn't have anything to do with it. I don't know what species of Arenivaga they are. Anyway, the 4 juvs look very healthy, yeah but only 4. Can they be sexed out when young? I can take pics of underneath for people to sex out here if it's possible to do so. I won't feel so bad if I at least have one pair. It's kind of a mess here with mobility probs recently, a bad knee so I've been letting some things get out of hand.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
OH no!! I only found 4 juvs. I think I waited to long to go through the substrate. There are also 100s of Arenivaga in there, hope that didn't have anything to do with it. I don't know what species of Arenivaga they are. Anyway, the 4 juvs look very healthy, yeah but only 4. Can they be sexed out when young? I can take pics of underneath for people to sex out here if it's possible to do so. I won't feel so bad if I at least have one pair. It's kind of a mess here with mobility probs recently, a bad knee so I've been letting some things get out of hand.
Yikes, that sucks, especially since this species usually only gives birth once in captivity. Did you have the male housed with the female? According to @Elytra and Antenna, you can't sex them until the fourth instar, so it'll be a while until you can get them sexed. Remember that for the nymphs you want a substrate about half an inch thin, as thy suffer extreme molting deformities if they are buried, they aren't substrate swimmers like the other burrowing roaches in the hobby.

BTW, why do you have Arenivaga housed with Macropanesthia, they have totally different needs in regards to humidity, Arenivaga usually like it a lot drier. Don't mean to sound harsh or anything, I'm just genuinely curious, maybe you have a particularly moist-tolerant species of Arenivaga.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had no intentions of raising Arenivaga, I don't care much about those, I just threw some in there I found, devil may care, forgetting about it and now there are 100s, moist in there and they obviously didn't mind. The male rhino was injured and died before female had babies. They must be 4th instar or more because I think I just sexed them out, more evidence they were prob in too long together. Those Arenivaga take advantage of molting things also, saw them devouring an Arenivaga dying male freshly molted but maybe only because it was injured. I'll post pics I just took for others to see, pretty sure I have two pair so I'm OK with it. Honestly I don't need more animals atm even though these are to be appreciated since so hard to get.

OK just uploaded pics, I think it's female, male, male, then the last female.

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I had no intentions of raising Arenivaga, I don't care much about those, I just threw some in there I found, devil may care, forgetting about it and now there are 100s, moist in there and they obviously didn't mind. The male rhino was injured and died before female had babies. They must be 4th instar or more because I think I just sexed them out, more evidence they were prob in too long together. Those Arenivaga take advantage of molting things also, saw them devouring an Arenivaga dying male freshly molted. I'll post pics I just took for others to see, pretty sure I have two pair so I'm OK with it. Honestly I don't need more animals atm even though these are to be appreciated since so hard to get.
Sorry to hear that about the male, that's a shame, at least he fertilized your female before he died. Well if they are at least four instars old then I'd like to see those pictures, if you have two pairs then that's great, if taken care of well it's highly likely that all four will make to adulthood! :)

Interesting, what species of Arenivaga do you have, again just curious. I have A.bolliana, genitalis and tonkawa, if what you have is not one of those species I may be interested in buying some from you, (when I have money again that is).

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Go check out the pics, I already loaded them. I don't know what species of Arenivaga they are, just not interested in them so never looked into it but I suspected they are bolliana, found in central tx(?) I'll prob throw a pic of them in this thread.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Go check out the pics, I already loaded them. I don't know what species of Arenivaga they are, just not interested in them so never looked into it but I suspected they are bolliana, found in central tx(?) I'll prob throw a pic of them in this thread.
Oh OK, I see them now. Yup you got a nice 2:2 ratio right there, hope they do well for you! :)

If you could get a picture of the Arenivaga, (especially an adult male), that'd be awesome, thanks!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Those Macropanesthia babies are certainly 4th instar or older so they're probably six months old or more. They are dark colored and large so you'd know they're somewhat old even if you couldn't sex them. When was the last time you dug them up? How is the mom doing?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not so disappointed now, though I hate dead-ends with breeding though. I have so much going on right now, a little overwhelmed with stuff, have to set things up better later with all this stuff. But I now have the youguns set up in separate containers, looks good. I read Orin's experience there also with reproduction, hoping it's his experience and not natural law there but whatever. Here are the Arenivaga that took over.