M. Betelgeuse ?

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Does anyone know what the spider and/or tarantula genus and species is in the beginning of Betelgeuse????

It's gorgeous and I hope to obtain them. (I say "them" because I think I'll want quite a few of them!)

Also any clue as to what their average price is ???

Thanks,
Fix

ALSO THE SPIDER THAT LILLIA, or LIDIA (sp..??) HAD SEEN WHEN SHE FIRST MOVED INTO THE HOUSE???

Thanks much in advance. Super advanced since I'll probably be the only one up at this terribly late/early post! :)

Using Tapatalk on my iPhone 4S.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So no one knows huh? ...

Sorry. You're going to have to give me time to buy some more popcorn, dig out the DVD from the belly of my motorhome, then watch the whole bloody movie to refresh my seriously fading memory. You seriously don't think I'm going to go through all that trouble and not watch the whole bloody movie, do you?

I'll get back to you tomorrow. {D

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/explodingkinetoscope/spidermodel.jpg
screen shot, but i need to lighten the pic to see what it looks like . i see markings but eh...it really is too dark a shot.

heres the edited shot but its not any better...
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/nikki9093/spidermodel-1.jpg

it is indeed in the opening scene...look carefully cuz i cant tell...tiger rump maybe???someone needs to watch that first scene on a big screen tv and get bact to us, OR youtube it. literally its in the first 5-7 seconds of the movie. well...i havent gotten to the other part yet...so yeah...

OK...at about 11.50 minutes into the movie is a spider on a web. well, i know that Ts dont spin. so i cant help ya there. it IS a pretty big spider tho.may also be movie effects.

Last edited:

jim777

Arachnosquire
I think you mean Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice is a character played by Michael Keaton in the movie of the same name.

Betelgeuse is a red giant star that can be seen in the winter (in the Northern Hemisphere) as the shoulder point in the constellation Orion. Fun fact, while Betelgeuse only has about 20 times our Sun's mass, it is 1000 times larger and 50K times brighter than our Sun. Further, it is so large and so bright (and unstable - a function of its size and temperature), it is almost impossible to tell how far away it is. Estimates place it between 300 and 600 light years away, with the most recent guess at 430 light years from us. :)

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice!

Also, it looks like a generic tiny brown tarantula. It's a little grainy though, and I'm sure my VHS isn't much better. I remember it being much, much bigger. Funny how that's always the case.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I think you mean Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice is a character played by Michael Keaton in the movie of the same name.

Betelgeuse is a red giant star that can be seen in the winter (in the Northern Hemisphere) as the shoulder point in the constellation Orion. Fun fact, while Betelgeuse only has about 20 times our Sun's mass, it is 1000 times larger and 50K times brighter than our Sun. Further, it is so large and so bright (and unstable - a function of its size and temperature), it is almost impossible to tell how far away it is. Estimates place it between 300 and 600 light years away, with the most recent guess at 430 light years from us. :)
That's how his name was advertised on the movie and I thought it would be a clever title for this post. I was actually just referring to the spider being shown at the beginning of the movie. :)

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice!

Also, it looks like a generic tiny brown tarantula. It's a little grainy though, and I'm sure my VHS isn't much better. I remember it being much, much bigger. Funny how that's always the case.
The markings on its rump are closely resembling a tiger rumps markings .. So I'm not sure it's a common brown T.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The second pic, where it's lightened up, looks like a GBB spiderling. They have tiger rump like markings.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
How long do GBBs keep their spiderling coloration though? When the man had picked it up it was a substantial size.

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
it did have a big abdomen...bit it WAS a smaller spider too. hard hard hard to ID. and theres nothing on the web that says "this is the spider we used in that movie" grr. lol.

Transient

Arachnosquire

Actually Betelgeuse is how his name is spelled, not to nitpick :)

I always thought the spider was a Wolf spider until I watched it again recently.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
What, no its not.
It's Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!
Beetlejuice!!

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
What, no its not.
It's Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!
Beetlejuice!!
:p

If you watch through the movie, his advertisement on the flier and on the television has the spelling of his name.
Betelgeuse.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Bah! It'll always be beetlejuice to me!
It fits him better!:p

Oh, uh, anyway...
yeah, that tarantula... is a tiger rump probably.

[SUB]Beetlejuice is awesome.[/SUB]

jim777

Arachnosquire
eh, a little giant red star trivia never hurt anyone :) Especially when Betelgeuse is so plainly visible in the night sky right now.

As for the GBB keeping its sling coloration, mine kept its leg colors for about 4.5 months before they turned darker. The rump is still striped and the carapace still orange though, at just under 2" (a thinner than a pencil carpace 2" too, not a chubby 2 ").