Lighting? Yes or No and why?

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do Ts like or dislike light or does it depend on the T? Is it necessary or is it a cause of stress and discomfort?

slinky1000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mm

i keep getting told they don't like too much light, but i'm new to T's and keep getting shot down when i say anything!

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well i am going to side with the no light category

im sure it doesnt hurt them or anything but if i was that small id feel safer hiding in or under something

especially with a big monkey looking thing peeking in to see me every day;) {D

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i keep getting told they don't like too much light, but i'm new to T's and keep getting shot down when i say anything!
If I happened to be one that "shot you down", I apologize. Didn't mean to do that.
And you are right to say that many people believe too much lighting is bad. I agree with that because T's are nocturnal. The argument here is how much is "too much".
From my perspective, too much = direct hot sunlight and/or enough light to heat the enclosure up without anywhere for the T to hide from the heat. Other than that, I haven't seen any sign I would consider stress/discomfort by normal room lighting on my T's. Basically nothing to worry about.

slinky1000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no

no, a few guys on here seem to revel in shotting down 'noobs'.
i dont use lighting as was told T's are nocturnal and dont like direct light. she does see natural daylight, but have no night lighting. i have been told they dont see red light so could use that at night

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, they're nocturnal so... they prefer dark. Different species will react differently but i'd say direct lighting is not going to help anyway.

My P regalis and P striata for example both RUN from the flashlight if it's been dark in the room. Some others like brachys and grammies don't seem to mind as much.

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My H. Liv for example, hates light with a passion. My L. Parahybana on the other hand doesnt seem to mind as much. Shes always out in the open. I feel it depends on the T. The only time I see that mine tend to favor light is when it is cool. They are there for the heat only. And its mostly my arboreals.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My vote is no on lighting. Use the search function, you'll find tons of threads about this.

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And you are right to say that many people believe too much lighting is bad. I agree with that because T's are nocturnal. The argument here is how much is "too much".
Are all T's nocturnal in the wild? Is the nocturnal habit hard wired or imposed by day-time activity of other animals in the T's vicinity? For obligate burrowers, it makes sense that avoidance of light has a selective advantage. But for species that are more motile, is nocturnal activity more facultative? These differences might better explain why there is variation in activity relative to lighting between species.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why bother. The tarantula could care less. It would only be needed if you plan on haveing a planted tank.

John

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Why bother. The tarantula could care less. It would only be needed if you plan on haveing a planted tank.
Like many animals, T's might rely on light cues, which regulates nocturnal and crepuscular activity.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think different Ts will need different amounts of light:
1. Would I ever buy a light to put on a T cage? NO.
2. Will I go out of my way to make sure they are not getting direct sun light? NO.
3. will I give them enough earth to burrow in or something to hide under? YES.

In short let the T choose what he or she would like. :)

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was just looking at page 77 of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. They provide some information on diurnal activity.

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with gumby also. Im not gonna go and stick stick a light on my cobalts enclosure. The thing lives in a hole for cryin out loud!! As long as they are in a room that gets some kind of outside light, the T will know day from night and be able to determine seasons ect. from the length of the day.

Cant wait for the new Tarantula Keepers Guide! Gotta have the most up to date info! Not to mention I keep giving my copies away to new T keepers that I have introduced to the hobby.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Id be interested in what some of the members from outside the united states have to say as it has been expressed by a least one of them in another thread that they tend to have exact lighting they set up for their Ts and are encouraged to set up lighting.

thread I was talking about Tharry mentions lighting http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=143536

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMO Ts don't normally like bright light. But they do need some light. I have heard that they might get reproductive cues from photo duration.

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a light during the day. It's more of an indirect setup. I wouldn't place a light directly above them like petstores do. I have one that sort of casts a little bit of light towards the front of the tanks. This is more or less so I can see what's happening while doing HW in the office. All of mine are NWs and they still seem fairly active even with the lights on.

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have lights in most of my enclosures, but they are really only there so I can show the T and enclosure to others. My Ts get a light cycle from the windows.