L. Parahybana hanging from its screen lid by back two legs

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I suggested a cheaper solution that you have never tried before. Then you try shoot me down.

Nice.

cold blood

Staff member
Not all of us can afford thick acrylic or the tools to cut it to size and drill holes in. No dramas
Acrilic is cheaper in the states. I am using 1mm sheet and the screen top. Cheaper than cutting your own 4/5mm escape proof.

The assumption that i have more $$ than you is redic. This is a forum. You dont know me.

Here the 'acrylic' we get in hobby stores is called plexiglass. So i'm stumped at what you mean.

As i said before its not worthless. It works, and your above comment doesnt make sense.
As I quoted, it was you, with the "not all of us can afford" comment that led me where it did...but youre right irrelevant...what I did was point you to a cheaper alternative, but if that cheaper alternative is what's sold to you as acryic, then :banghead:...plexiglass is a form of acrylic, but there are differences. Plexi is harder, so it allows for easy drilling...so here we can go get it cut to our specifications, take it home, and in 5 minutes with a drill, create any ventilation pattern we choose.

Here a cut piece of plexiglass is $15-20 and is generally cut upon request at most hardware stores.

My assertion wasn't that it doesn't work, its that it would work exactly the same without the screen.....now that I think, you may be mounting it to the screen, as that would make a lot more sense, although not what I had originally pictured.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Side note - they can also easily chew through the screen.
what kind of screen do you have in the states?? mines made of metal, i doubt any spider can get through that.

as for using screen lids, the only issues ive ever had were with MMs, once they wear out their feet and cant climb glass, the screen is totally safe. for my other tank set ups, i use screen for all of them, 6 in total. for my G porteri, Hysteocrates sp., P striata, P regalis, A avic, MM B boehmei. zero issues.

crlovel

Arachnopeon
I'm dealing with the same problem right now. The reptile shop where I purchased my first T suggested the Exo Terra Nano for a sub-adult A. Avicularia. The size is good, but it has a screen mesh top. I want to replace the screen top with acrylic, but I'm having a really hard time doing so. The screen that needs to be replaced is about 1 cm short of 8 in. A size that is not sold anywhere.

Home Depot will not cut acrylic.
Lowes will not cut acrylic.
I do not own any power tools myself.

I've never done a DIY project in my life. The whole situation is very frustrating right now.

EDIT: I should mention that so far my Avic has not had any problems with the screen top, but I know it's just a matter of time.
My Lowes, if you buy the sheet of acrylic from them, will cut it. They have a full station set up, just for acrylic cutting.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
what kind of screen do you have in the states?? mines made of metal, i doubt any spider can get through that.

as for using screen lids, the only issues ive ever had were with MMs, once they wear out their feet and cant climb glass, the screen is totally safe. for my other tank set ups, i use screen for all of them, 6 in total. for my G porteri, Hysteocrates sp., P striata, P regalis, A avic, MM B boehmei. zero issues.
@viper69 do you have the picture of the shredded metal screen? I have it at home, but I'm on my phone at the moment.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Lowes will not cut acrylic
They're lying to you. My cousin is a store manager of a Lowe's, and every store comes standard with acrylic cutting tools. Call again - ask for a supervisor of you need to. Or just walk in, their cutter is likely right next to the acrylic and glass sheets.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i could do that with my teeth. i know they can rip cork bark and whatnot, but ive yet to see one get through metal screen. this stuffs like a millimeter thick.
I'm just the messenger. I can't tell you what gauge that is. The standard screen vents I see on T containers, I wouldn't trust at all. All they have is time ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
i could do that with my teeth. i know they can rip cork bark and whatnot, but ive yet to see one get through metal screen. this stuffs like a millimeter thick.
Not being able to chew through it doesn't negate the tarsal claw issue, though.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Not being able to chew through it doesn't negate the tarsal claw issue, though.
my arboreals avoid the screen, i almost never see them on it. my pokie tanks are on the side so the cage is taller, one entire side is screen. they go everywhere but on it. being arboreal, they are much more agile climbers, i dont think they could ever get stuck on it. my A avic and G porteri have never has any issues. my Hysteocrates almost never leaves the burrow, besides, the sub in its 5 G tank is filled up to the point where if it did get stuck it couldnt hang and lose any legs. my MM boehmei cant climb glass anymore and theres nothing to help him climb to his screen lid. mt porteris been in the same tank since 2012, i think its okay.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my arboreals avoid the screen, i almost never see them on it. my pokie tanks are on the side so the cage is taller, one entire side is screen. they go everywhere but on it. being arboreal, they are much more agile climbers, i dont think they could ever get stuck on it. my A avic and G porteri have never has any issues. my Hysteocrates almost never leaves the burrow, besides, the sub in its 5 G tank is filled up to the point where if it did get stuck it couldnt hang and lose any legs. my MM boehmei cant climb glass anymore and theres nothing to help him climb to his screen lid. mt porteris been in the same tank since 2012, i think its okay.
I had a wonderful A. metallica that would often get stuck on screen mounted on top. After seeing him struggle and rescuing him once. I said no more. Especially after raising him from a tiny 1/2" sling. There was no way I was going to let all those years of caring go down the drain once he arrived into full adult colors.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Just think about it Venom ;)

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Has this ever happened to anyone who uses 10 gal tanks?
This often happens to anyone who uses screen tops. It's not a function of owning a glass aquarium tank.

I'm dealing with the same problem right now. The reptile shop where I purchased my first T suggested the Exo Terra Nano for a sub-adult A. Avicularia. The size is good, but it has a screen mesh top. I want to replace the screen top with acrylic, but I'm having a really hard time doing so. The screen that needs to be replaced is about 1 cm short of 8 in. A size that is not sold anywhere.

Home Depot will not cut acrylic.
Lowes will not cut acrylic.
I do not own any power tools myself.

I've never done a DIY project in my life. The whole situation is very frustrating right now.

EDIT: I should mention that so far my Avic has not had any problems with the screen top, but I know it's just a matter of time.
Cutting acrylic is not hard. There are many videos on it, and if you wanted to, you could even order a pre-cut piece from a plastics company.

Heck, you could buy the sheet, and a handy-man would cut it for you, probably for free or for a few dollars.

There's no reason for you NOT to have it simply because you don't believe you have the skills to use some tools. This isn't building an acrylic T container after all ;) No one is expecting you to design and build a rocket to Mars ;)

If you can count, you can use a ruler.
If you can move your arm back and forth, you can use a saw. What more are you worried about?

You could even measure for slightly larger pre-cut piece, and sand down the sides till it fit if you had to. It doesn't take any knowledge to use sandpaper or a sander.

Do something like this> http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ex...rom-arboreal-to-terrestrial-pic-heavy.259864/

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

I have had similar experiences! Use 10 gallons for several Ts and like you said the MMs tend to lose grip over time, a lot of my ten gallons are used for burrowers like H. gigas and P.muticus wich avoids the scenario altogether. My LP has calmed down since the incident and is available for loan if anyone has a female that's ready, he's a big boy at least 8 inches but my girl is only about 5.5 atm so kinda sucks.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
the is precisely the reason screen lids are unacceptable in this hobby, 10g tanks are already horrid enclosures for tarantulas in most circumstances, but the screens make them 10x worse for this exact scenario. youre lucky she didnt lose her legs or suffer from a fatal fall.

you NEED to fix this tarantulas housing. either change it into some other enclosure (something with more controllable ventilation and not as much height, this species is from a region the gets frequent rainfall and a high average humidity so screen tops are worthless as they let all humidity escape almost immediately) or buy a sheet of clear acrylic plastic, cut it to size, and drill some ventilation into it to replace that screen.
@Jaxxfunk @REEFSPIDER

May I ask what the dislike and disagree were based on?

Rocky

Arachnopeon
@Jaxxfunk @REEFSPIDER

May I ask what the dislike and disagree were based on?
I'm just going to assume the fact you said 10 gallon tanks are horrible for tarantulas. Considering not all grow as big as the lp. That's the only thing I read. That or you can't keep humidity in a screen top but the best way to do that is cover 2/3rds of the screen in wrap so your words still ring true. But yes mesh screen is bad for a t I agree with that for sure. But I prefer acrylic or a fish tank for an enclosure so I can get a clear picture of my 8 legged babies.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I'm just going to assume the fact you said 10 gallon tanks are horrible for tarantulas. Considering not all grow as big as the lp. That's the only thing I read. That or you can't keep humidity in a screen top but the best way to do that is cover 2/3rds of the screen in wrap so your words still ring true. But yes mesh screen is bad for a t I agree with that for sure. But I prefer acrylic or a fish tank for an enclosure so I can get a clear picture of my 8 legged babies.
10g just don't work well. Their proportions aren't ideal, they are almost always too high, so they require a ton of sub. To keep humidity in on a screen top you sacrifice ventilation and you have zero cross ventilation. So they just aren't ideal.