Just found her/him like this...

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its moulting. Leave it alone. It is essential that you do not disturb it.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Hooray for molting day!

Leave it alone. It knows what to do.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Hoping for a successful moult. Like others said... leave it alone. When complete, he will flip back upright, do some yoga poses for you and take about 7-12 days (less for slings) to harden back up -- so don't touch him at all!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Read up more on your pet. That's a very basic part of owning a tarantula.

Congrats. I remember my first molt fondly.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Just wanted to be sure. But thanks anyway?
My first moult was a sling -- less anguish -- over in like 30 - 45 minutes. Easier for a first time impatient owner to witness.

Yours looks like a much bigger T than my sling -- so could take a few hours -- longest moult I remember mine having was well over 14 hours and so I became concerned.
But it turns out, tarantulas are experts at moulting and most moults go well.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Bahahahahahaha XD the innocence of a first time tarantula owner
I know, right!?
I knew in theory they flipped over - had read and studied. Watched a hundred youtube videos of moults -- including some amazing time-lapse ones.

But first time seeing it? No Ms. Cool, Calm & Collected here. "Is my T dying? OMG?" I wasn't posting here yet... thank goodness. rofl

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
My first molt was my Avicularia avicularia. I woke up and checked on her and said "WOOOOOO". I wasnt even remotely worried. Idk, i guess because id been expecting it since i bought it and had read/watched so much beforehand.
Anyways, yeah, from what ive gathered, tarantulas dont often die on their backs unless a molt goes bad. They usually either curl up oooorrrrr go limp, depending on reason. Not saying its an unfounded concern, im sure it could and has happened quite a few times. I also feel like more research could have prevented you from panicking. I would also like to request some clearer pictures of the T and the enclosure when the molt is complete and its hardened up a bit. Just to see :happy:. Hope the molt goes well!

sasker

Arachnoprince
Just wanted to be sure. But thanks anyway?
What @viper69 and @Venom1080 meant is that this is among the most basic aspects of keeping tarantulas. The fact that you don't seem to know this may be an indication that you lack some basic - but crucial - knowledge about the care of your tarantula.

It is a bit like stepping into a car with someone who claims to have a drivers license, who then asks what these pedal things on floor are for ;)

I also strongly suggest you do some more reading on keeping tarantulas, just to be sure. It is a great way to pass the time and you will be able to enjoy keeping your tarantula even more.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Molting was one of the first things I ever read up on, it's such a basic part of tarantula husbandry, TBH the OP should know all this and more, if you're going to own and attempt to care for such a wonderful animal the least you can do is read up on the basics of how to keep them. It's common sense to gain knowledge about any pet you are going to be caring for, never mind a tarantula that needs much more knowledge from the owner to raise it successfully - research, research and research.

AshS

Arachnosquire
Bahahahahahaha XD the innocence of a first time tarantula owner
I know, right!?
I knew in theory they flipped over - had read and studied. Watched a hundred youtube videos of moults -- including some amazing time-lapse ones.

But first time seeing it? No Ms. Cool, Calm & Collected here. "Is my T dying? OMG?" I wasn't posting here yet... thank goodness. rofl
We have all been there. I was the same when I witnessed my first moult even though I had read the books and watched the videos, it still scared me. Now this week two of mine have both moulted and one is going into pre-moult.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
We have all been there. I was the same when I witnessed my first moult even though I had read the books and watched the videos, it still scared me. Now this week two of mine have both moulted and one is going into pre-moult.
Yep it's always daunting the first time, now that you're used to it, it doesn't come as such a shock, having said this it's still amazing to watch - even alien like, never ceases to amaze me, no matter how many times I've seen it in person, absolutely amazing way to grow.

Last edited:

Eek

Arachnosquire
One thing I'd also suggest is using these forums to look up "bad molt" problems. THESE are the problems that you should watch out for. Most of the time as long as environmental essentials are met there are no issues...but its always good to be prepared. The search can also help you identify how long to wait before worry should encroach.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My first moult was a sling. He was upside down in the very narrow chute opening to his burrow -- with all 8 legs squished together and up in the air (his chute was against front enclosure wall -- so I had a front row seat). The "legs" turned out to be the exo legs - forced together due to narrowness of chute.

I flit between "is he okay?" to "could it be a moult?" to "is he dying?" and even a concerned "maybe he's stuck" (stuck in chute - not moult-lol) until he had finally emerged enough I could see a pale skeletal-looking creature emerging with white joints and a red mouth. Not reassuring. I had wrongly been immersed in watching exo for any sign of movement before noticing my real T was below that. And for a newbie, let's face it -- all those yoga poses and stretches once moult is complete... sorta looked like that dreaded dks I'd been reading about. lol

And now I've got a large container filled with discarded exos.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
And now I've got a large container filled with discarded exos.
I like to keep larger exos as the small ones seem to break far too easily, I have been told hairspray is a great way to preserve them intact, then they can easily be mounted/displayed. I've got to try this soon as I've got so many I am running out of little containers to keep them in, when the kids were babies, their dummy containers were the perfect size, alas they're no longer babies. Just a nice way to display them. Not the kids the exuviae....

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Never tried hairspray. I have mine stored in large clear container -- so I can see them. The lid has helped keep them clean and dust-free. Would love to find a prettier way to display them. I don't bother saving maimed exos destroyed by the Ts....