Just found her/him like this...

jaycied

Arachnoknight
I was the same way with my first T, an Avicularia I picked up in a lps :banghead: that has since matured and died. (RIP Aragog). I knew nothing, and at this point in time I trusted pet store employees (hahahahhahaha). I didn't know a thing about molting; I did do more research when I got it home (in a KK with a 1/2 in of substrate, dead crickets everywhere, and a water bowl with pebbles) changed the enclosure to a more suitable one, but for whatever weird reason never ever came across good husbandry tips and absolutely nothing about molting!

After aragog's first molt I was so freaked out. I didn't notice any of the actual molting process, but I looked in one day and was really confused as to why there was another T in the enclosure with him.

Side note: same pet store told me that the boli from food remains were infertile eggsacs "because your female still ovulates":rofl:

jaycied

Arachnoknight
After his molt I looked up probably something along the lines of "why do I have 2 tarantulas now when I had one". Pet stores don't tell you anything useful. This search somehow led me to Tom's Big Spiders, I've changed a lot, and am keeping 20 Ts with good husbandry currently.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I was the same way with my first T, an Avicularia I picked up in a lps :banghead: that has since matured and died. (RIP Aragog). I knew nothing, and at this point in time I trusted pet store employees (hahahahhahaha). I didn't know a thing about molting; I did do more research when I got it home (in a KK with a 1/2 in of substrate, dead crickets everywhere, and a water bowl with pebbles) changed the enclosure to a more suitable one, but for whatever weird reason never ever came across good husbandry tips and absolutely nothing about molting!

After aragog's first molt I was so freaked out. I didn't notice any of the actual molting process, but I looked in one day and was really confused as to why there was another T in the enclosure with him.

Side note: same pet store told me that the boli from food remains were infertile eggsacs "because your female still ovulates":rofl:
Oh my good lord, I've heard it all now, in all my life I've never heard such nonsense, that's why I would always research the species that I am about to get on this forum of course. Thank goodness for AB.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Oh my good lord, I've heard it all now, in all my life I've never heard such nonsense, that's why I would always research the species that I am about to get on this forum of course. Thank goodness for AB.
Agreed. I had no idea even about basic tarantula care so I didn't know I was missing. I'm so glad I stumbled across Toms blog and arachnoboards.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Agreed. I had no idea even about basic tarantula care so I didn't know I was missing. I'm so glad I stumbled across Toms blog and arachnoboards.
Yep I talk to Tom quite often, a very informed, intelligent, gentleman, we speak quite often over YouTube comments and discussions, his uploads are second to none, he's been in the hobby for a looooooong time now, he just made an upload regarding sling husbandry, buying, setup, do's and don'ts, I have a great affinity with Tom, it makes a huge difference that he is a true scholar and a gentleman, haha I just remembered he's a teacher so yeah a true scholar.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I like to keep larger exos as the small ones seem to break far too easily, I have been told hairspray is a great way to preserve them intact, then they can easily be mounted/displayed. I've got to try this soon as I've got so many I am running out of little containers to keep them in, when the kids were babies, their dummy containers were the perfect size, alas they're no longer babies. Just a nice way to display them. Not the kids the exuviae....
@ShyDragoness I'm glad someone finally got the joke - eventually, not you I must add you obviously got it immediately.....lol