Jungle Carpets

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
have they fed on rats atall yet? i mean before you got them?
They are on fresh pre killed mice. But I was trying to change them over by mouse scenting them with mice bedding but that clearly didn't work lol. Is my next step is trying to feed them a mouse then a rat directly after because their feeding response usually takes over.

scorpio1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are on fresh pre killed mice. But I was trying to change them over by mouse scenting them with mice bedding but that clearly didn't work lol. Is my next step is trying to feed them a mouse then a rat directly after because their feeding response usually takes over.
u could try that but have u tried actually rubbing the mouse all over the rat and make sure some of the mouses blood ends up on the rat, if they dont eat thought dont wory just try again in another week using the pre mention technique

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
u could try that but have u tried actually rubbing the mouse all over the rat and make sure some of the mouses blood ends up on the rat, if they dont eat thought dont wory just try again in another week using the pre mention technique
do I HAVE to feed them at night since they are nocturnal? Or they will eat regardless of time of day if they are hungry

scorpio1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
do I HAVE to feed them at night since they are nocturnal? Or they will eat regardless of time of day if they are hungry
u should be able to feed them whenever if they are hungry enough, but try and feed them at the same time they were bein fed before u got them, atleast until they are a bit older and not such fussy eaters (i feed my boy any time of the day and he eats, when im rushing, but he gets fed every 2-3 wekeks so hes always hungry and will eat during the day) it will minimise stress while they get used to feeding (i would feed them at knight if not already doing so, seen as that is how they were supposed to feed), have u tried puting the snake and the mouse scented rat in a dark box and leaving the snake in there for a while to see if it eats

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
u should be able to feed them whenever if they are hungry enough, but try and feed them at the same time they were bein fed before u got them, atleast until they are a bit older and not such fussy eaters (i feed my boy any time of the day and he eats, when im rushing, but he gets fed every 2-3 wekeks so hes always hungry and will eat during the day) it will minimise stress while they get used to feeding (i would feed them at knight if not already doing so, seen as that is how they were supposed to feed), have u tried puting the snake and the mouse scented rat in a dark box and leaving the snake in there for a while to see if it eats
no I havent tried that, i'm gonna stick to feeding mice for a while so at least then I know they are eating I dont want to try to change them over so quickly but if I need to I know what to do. thanks.

Ok so last night I tried to feed one if them. I pre-killed it then made it dance accidently I dropped it in the water dish after that he'd strike it I'd let go of it then he wouldn't bother with it any more. Can mice lose their smell if they get wet?

Last edited:

scorpio1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
slightlly but not entirely, i used to have the same issue with mine not eating when the food was wet, its just an unusual habit that carpet pythons seem to have

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
slightlly but not entirely, i used to have the same issue with mine not eating when the food was wet, its just an unusual habit that carpet pythons seem to have
Ok I'll try again next weekend TBH this is frustrating to say the least LOL.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i no dude but dont let it get to you there not starving to death, jus take it nice n slow
So far I'm 1/2...I put a live mouse in with my male and left
the room for an hour or so came back the mouse was gone.
From now on it's live all the way. I'm going to try the female later
tonight.

I feel much better thanks everyone for the help.
Thanks scropio!

scorpio1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So far I'm 1/2...I put a live mouse in with my male and left
the room for an hour or so came back the mouse was gone.
From now on it's live all the way. I'm going to try the female later
tonight.

I feel much better thanks everyone for the help.
Thanks scropio!
thats great news usually u have to be careful when live feeding, because the mouse or rat can do a lot of damage to the snake if given the chance, but it doesnt seem like you will have that problem lol, again thats great news i hope yer females eating too

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats great news usually u have to be careful when live feeding, because the mouse or rat can do a lot of damage to the snake if given the chance, but it doesnt seem like you will have that problem lol, again thats great news i hope yer females eating too
Alright scorp! All set the female finally ate after being here since 6/18. So i guess shell be on a early morning eating schedule and him on an afternoon feeding time hopefully after a while I can feed them any time I want. I'm so relieved she finally ate. Oh yea she only eats live too. I also notice they are food shy and won't hunt/eat if I'm watching.

scorpio1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alright scorp! All set the female finally ate after being here since 6/18. So i guess shell be on a early morning eating schedule and him on an afternoon feeding time hopefully after a while I can feed them any time I want. I'm so relieved she finally ate. Oh yea she only eats live too. I also notice they are food shy and won't hunt/eat if I'm watching.
yes myn also is shy about feeding while im there but hopefully yours will grow out of it as they get used to you being around

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes myn also is shy about feeding while im there but hopefully yours will grow out of it as they get used to you being around
Scorp, I don't know if my male was really hungry or just not a shy feeder afterall but tonight he is out roaming his enclosure and I just thought I'd try to
feed him again to see if he'd eat and I dropped the live mouse on the opposite side of the tank once he got wiff of it and it got closer he striked, grabbed, constricts, wrings the life out of the mouse like water out of a wash clothe and ate it. I guess after his first taste of mouse in a new environment kicked in it started his food drive (for me). Below is a picture of the male after eating last night I think it was..You can see the lump at the top of his stomach in the middle

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=60035132&albumID=2667458&imageID=51377220

Last edited:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scorp, I don't know if my male was really hungry or just not a shy feeder afterall but tonight he is out roaming his enclosure and I just thought I'd try to
feed him again to see if he'd eat and I dropped the live mouse on the opposite side of the tank once he got wiff of it and it got closer he striked, grabbed, constricts, wrings the life out of the mouse like water out of a wash clothe and ate it. I guess after his first taste of mouse in a new environment kicked in it started his food drive (for me). Below is a picture of the male after eating last night I think it was..You can see the lump at the top of his stomach in the middle

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=60035132&albumID=2667458&imageID=51377220
Ok I'm all set with my carpets, I fed the female last night (second feeding since) I have had her and she took down the mouse within minutes so I guess I can say they are officially on their way to growing into boyfriend/girlfriend to make some good babies

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=60035132&albumID=2667458&imageID=51510946

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=60035132&albumID=2667458&imageID=51510990

Last edited:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't been using a heat lamp cause I thought the one I had was broken
But it's not so now I'm using the heat lamp with a black light in it until I
get a CHE....How much more heat is the black light giving off compared to me
using room temperature as the heat?

Side note - even though before tonight I wasn't using an UTH or a CHE the snakes still were eating/digesting/eliminating without issue.