Jungle Carpets

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed her at night. I never hold her past evening. My buddy was over and didn't believe that it would bite me. Well, I stuck my hand in there, and she bit, and let go. There were 6 little pinpricks in my arm. That is the only time she has bit me. Every time I reach for her in the daytime, she smells me and thats it.

Awesome youngins you got BTW man. Especially the female.

Oh ok thanks..do you plan on breeding?

scorpio1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
those are some beautiful snakes i see one of them has a real puzzle like pattern goin on, i feed my boy f/t rats one every two weeks, i can feed him in the tank in a feeding tub, anywhere and he doesnt mind me going in and out of his tank any time of the day or night, he wont bite atall

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those are some beautiful snakes i see one of them has a real puzzle like pattern goin on, i feed my boy f/t rats one every two weeks, i can feed him in the tank in a feeding tub, anywhere and he doesnt mind me going in and out of his tank any time of the day or night, he wont bite atall
I hope my two end up being that nice. I took the female out today for close to
Two hrs she did real well no nips at all. I gotta take the male out tomorrow hopefully he'll be as good as the female was. When you first got yours did you start it on mice or rats ? What size? And did you wait a week before trying to feed it?

scorpio1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hope my two end up being that nice. I took the female out today for close to
Two hrs she did real well no nips at all. I gotta take the male out tomorrow hopefully he'll be as good as the female was. When you first got yours did you start it on mice or rats ? What size? And did you wait a week before trying to feed it?
it sounds like yours are already starting to get used to you and understand that you mean them no harm, i started myn on rat pups and worked my way up so i have never had the problem of trying to get them to change from mice to rats, i didnt stay on rat pups for very long that was just to make sure they would eat rats, but i know that if you are feeding mice and wish to switch over to rats you can just rub the mouse all over the rat so it has the smell of a mouse, until adventually they will just take rats no problem, i probably waited a bit more than a week before i fed mine but a week should be ok, i just like to make sure that they are hungry so there is more of a chance of them eating, i would say yours could eat rat hoppers no probs

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that would be Morelia spilota cheneyi (jungle carpet python) they come from places like irian jaya in malasia and also other places but that is one of the main places that wild caughts of that subspecies come from, but also now with so many breeders for carpet pythons it could be possible to pick up many cross breeds with bright yellow markings, like for example the jungle jaguar carpet python which is a colour morph made by breeders not a naturally occuring species, i have not given the latin name as these can occur by using animals with copletely different blood lines like for example you could breed a coastal x diamond x Jungle carpet, diamond x jungle carpet
Do they get brighter as they grow or the opposite?
Cus' I've seen some babies that aren't that bright.

scorpio1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do they get brighter as they grow or the opposite?
Cus' I've seen some babies that aren't that bright.
they usually fade as they get older, coastals (morelia spilota mcdowelli) are particaly well know for this, and even just after a slough(shed) they can apear bright again but still not as bright as when they were juvies, but in sum cases they can get a big brighter, but this is usually the new man made color morphs that exhibit this characteristic, generally speacing they do fade as they age, although in the jungle caprets, diamonds, jungle jags, diamond jungle etc it is not as clear as in the coastals, still beautiful snakes though, i will try and post pics of my boy if you like?(he is a coastal)

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they usually fade as they get older, coastals (morelia spilota mcdowelli) are particaly well know for this, and even just after a slough(shed) they can apear bright again but still not as bright as when they were juvies, but in sum cases they can get a big brighter, but this is usually the new man made color morphs that exhibit this characteristic, generally speacing they do fade as they age, although in the jungle caprets, diamonds, jungle jags, diamond jungle etc it is not as clear as in the coastals, still beautiful snakes though, i will try and post pics of my boy if you like?(he is a coastal)
Yes please

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Really Nice.

Yesterday, I took i my male out which nipped me about three times no problem of course. I remembered that they are semi aboreal so to see if he trusted me fully I did a test. While he wrapped around one wrist i held my other wrist much higher than the other one and what he did was SLOWLY try to slither up to the higher wrist however because he doesnt fully me trust me yet, every time he got closer to my other wrist he'd keep retreating to the wrist he was currently wrapped around lol. I found this very funny because its like carpet pythons can't resist climbing to something higher than what they are already on. they seem to be very curious snakes. i think it would be ironic if they put a jungle carpet snake in a kids movie and made it afraid of heights. which for the snake's character in the movie would be funny because Carpets are semi aboreal. Sounds like a good childrens book within its self "The Jungle Carpet who was scared of heights" and at the end he conquers his fears of heights to live in the tree tops of Austrialia. More pictures below.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=60035132&albumID=2667458&imageID=50441660

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=60035132&albumID=2667458&imageID=50441665

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=60035132&albumID=2667458&imageID=50441675

scorpio1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here ya go Aztek.
My lady, Morelia spilota mcdowelli.
She is a lot more vibrant than most of the coastals I have seen. I have had her since she was a teeny thing.

Linky with more pics.
http://arachnophiles.myfreeforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4098
that is a very beautiful snake but i was also going to say it if you hadnt that she is very unusual for a coastal, do you not no the bloodlines of this snake as it seems it may be a cross breed of some sort but cant put my finger on what kind of cross breed though, but beautiful snake though

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
scorpio, I believe her grandparents were imports from Queensland.
Her parents looked pure. The guy I got her from is all about "pure coastals".
She has a very reduced pattern. She was labeled as abernant when I bought her.

Who knows though. The Morelia genus is a mess.

scorpio1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
scorpio, I believe her grandparents were imports from Queensland.
Her parents looked pure. The guy I got her from is all about "pure coastals".
She has a very reduced pattern. She was labeled as abernant when I bought her.

Who knows though. The Morelia genus is a mess.
yep it sure is, perhaps you have the purest coastal possible and that is how they all used to look at one point, did the parents and/or grandparents all have similar markings?
i am sure one of the parent may of been 25% jungle,but if you say there isnt ill belive you, (im not saying im right, im just saying it looks that way to me) are the eyes are really dark gold colour?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tight snakes.
I've been looking into these.
You should definitely get one of these. I haven't had mine long but once they get past the nippy stage these are great snakes. if you want a great boa get a brazilian boa rainbow these are great snakes ( I heard they are nippy as babies but mine wasnt) and they grow fast ( I fed mine 2-3 mice a week) now its on one small rat. let us know what you end up doing Aztek.

Will Hunting

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You should definitely get one of these. I haven't had mine long but once they get past the nippy stage these are great snakes. if you want a great boa get a brazilian boa rainbow these are great snakes ( I heard they are nippy as babies but mine wasnt) and they grow fast ( I fed mine 2-3 mice a week) now its on one small rat. let us know what you end up doing Aztek.
I bought Claudia, my Diamond/Coastal inter-grade from Will Bird. She's by FAR the tamest snake, and maybe even the tamest animal I have ever owned. Like has been said before, she seems very curious and it makes her absolutely adorable. =p She's only about 3 to 3.5 feet.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought Claudia, my Diamond/Coastal inter-grade from Will Bird. She's by FAR the tamest snake, and maybe even the tamest animal I have ever owned. Like has been said before, she seems very curious and it makes her absolutely adorable. =p She's only about 3 to 3.5 feet.
I guess it depends on the species if its going to be nippy or not. Either way I don't mind at all because its worth it to get bit now when they are babies than it would be when they get a much bigger size lol.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok I got my carpets on 6/18...They haven't ate since I got them.
What might I be doing wrong? Today I tried small rats they won't
Touch em.