Jumping Spider Paralyzed by Wasp; Possible Recovery?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Hello again! I first want to say that I absolutely understand both sides of this discussion, and I've wondered many times over the past weeks whether I should have let nature take its course. However, what's done is done, and now I just want to give this little guy the best care I can before eventually returning him to the wild.

Now for the good news! After many days of careful watering and using a pipette to dispense a small droplet directly between the chelicerae, I saw movement this morning. The spider had recovered a small amount of mobility in its backmost two legs and its palps! I can only hope that this is the beginning of this little one's recovery. I will keep this thread updated!
Very lucky, I'm kinda surprised. Hopefully it recovers full mobility.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Offered another small droplet this morning and the spider's mobility has definitely increased! All legs are twitching now, and it can move itself short distances.

I can't tell you how surprised I am by this recovery, I was truly beginning to think it wasn't going to recover, or had already died.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Offered another small droplet this morning and the spider's mobility has definitely increased! All legs are twitching now, and it can move itself short distances.

I can't tell you how surprised I am by this recovery, I was truly beginning to think it wasn't going to recover, or had already died.
Nice, this wasp usually sting multiple Times and circle around it's prey. Whenever i observe this in nature, the spider is fully paralized and there never really is anything near a fight. Then they take the prey to a safe spot to eat it.

Who would've tought it's just good at imobilizing. Wish your Spider all the best!

Bubba Q

Arachnopeon
Hey there cool, I hope the the little guy recovers.
You've gone above and beyond the call of duty.

Around here, we have small black wasps that will take down a full size wolf spider that is five to ten times their size.
I think they inject eggs inside.
We have Mud daubers(a type of wasp) that paralyze crab spiders only and insert them in their nests for their offspring.
It's nature. I do intervene when possible, but it happens and it's brutal.

I love my jumping spiders. We call them "fly" spiders.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey there cool, I hope the the little guy recovers.
You've gone above and beyond the call of duty.

Around here, we have small black wasps that will take down a full size wolf spider that is five to ten times their size.
I think they inject eggs inside.
We have Mud daubers(a type of wasp) that paralyze crab spiders only and insert them in their nests for their offspring.
It's nature. I do intervene when possible, but it happens and it's brutal.

I love my jumping spiders. We call them "fly" spiders.
Funny you mention crab spiders, I found a small brown crab spider of a species I had never seen before on a railing of my wood fence, it was completely paralyzed, but it was not in a death curl and looked alive until I gently prodded it. I went back everyday for 6 days to check on this immobile crab spider, and every day it was in the same place. I decided a wasp must have attacked it then abandoned it for whatever reason. I wasn't in the position to nurse a spider back to life, so I made the decision to smash it and put it out of its misery. It popped like a real live, fat spider would, not dessicated or dead so I'm pretty certain it was dropped by a wasp.