Jumping Spider Paralyzed by Wasp; Possible Recovery?

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Hey all!

A few days ago I was taking my cat out and I noticed on my sliding glass door that a small black wasp was attacking and stinging a jumper. I know perhaps I should have let nature take its course and leave the wasp to enjoy its hard earned meal, but I intervened. The jumper is definitely still alive, but very very paralyzed. I've followed past threads about tarantulas recovering from tarantula hawk stings, and I'm wondering if there's any hope for this little jumper? It's very fat/well hydrated, so I think it could go without food for a few weeks/months while the effects wear off. Anyone have similar experiences or advice?

Attachments

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
It’s possible, but highly depends on the circumstances.
For sure, I'm trying not to get my hopes up! I've got it in a deli cup with moist moss and some leaf litter right now. I'll just play it by ear, and keep an eye out for any increased movement

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Would've been best for everyone involved if you let nature do its thing. Goodluck, hope he at least recovers instead of dying slowly.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Wouldn’t she have been dying slowly reguardless?
Not sure of the wasp species, so cant really comment what the wasp was gonna do or how fast it would have died had they not intervened. Rather it die slow and serve a purpose than die slow for no reason in somebody's house. I don't believe in humans trying to save something being preyed on. Nature is brutal, and its not our place to decide what poor jumping spider is gonna get eaten or not.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
@Nicole C G care to explain why you disagree? I stand by everything I said and Im curious as to what you think.
A personal disagreement. With your statement, not with you directly. It will likely lead to an argument. One that I don’t want to have. I can remove the ❌ if you want.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Goodluck, hope he at least recovers instead of dying slowly.
Just an FYI, the spider is already in the region of clinical death. This condition is reversible by letting nature take it's course. If the spider recovers, the neurology and basal metabolism kicks in, will depend on the type of venom and the amount. Non reversible biological death occurs when the critical neurons don't kick back in before the cells - tissues degenerate.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
A personal disagreement. With your statement, not with you directly. It will likely lead to an argument. One that I don’t want to have. I can remove the ❌ if you want.
I dont care if you put an emoji on my post lol, you can have an opinion obv. I was curious why you disagree, but i understand not wanting to have an argument

Last edited:

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Just an FYI, the spider is already in the region of clinical death. This condition is reversible by letting nature take it's course. If the spider recovers, the neurology and basal metabolism kicks in, will depend on the type of venom and the amount. Non reversible biological death occurs when the critical neurons don't kick back in before the cells - tissues degenerate.
Interesting, the more you know. I do still stand by what I said

The Snark

Old Timer
Interesting, the more you know. I do still stand by what I said
You're just following the basic rules for any animal that suffers sudden death. Give it a chance. The only difference between the spider and a human is a physician making a judgement call of where to draw the line. Your spider physicians are pretty far and few between and there is no way to monitor the animal's vitals.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
You're just following the basic rules for any animal that suffers sudden death. Give it a chance. The only difference between the spider and a human is a physician making a judgement call of where to draw the line. Your spider physicians are pretty far and few between and there is no way to monitor the animal's vitals.
Now that its removed from the wild I agree, id be helping it recover. I dont believe it should have been removed in the first place tho, let nature do its thing and let the wasp have its meal or whatever they do with em.

The Snark

Old Timer
Now that its removed from the wild I agree, id be helping it recover.
With almost 50 years in the emergency services I'm not about to question or be critical of a persons gut reaction to render aid.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
With almost 50 years in the emergency services I'm not about to question or be critical of a persons gut reaction to render aid.
You do you. Im a big advocate for humans keeping themselves out of natural things such as predation. Wasp gotta eat too.

The Snark

Old Timer
You do you. Im a big advocate for humans keeping themselves out of natural things such as predation. Wasp gotta eat too.
Absolutely. Observe and conserve. Let mother nature take it's course. But I'm not about to revile compassion which is the noblest trait living beings can possess. All about a question of balance and treading as softly as possible, each in their own way, on our mother.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Absolutely. Observe and conserve. Let mother nature take it's course. But I'm not about to revile compassion which is the noblest trait living beings can possess. All about a question of balance and treading as softly as possible, each in their own way, on our mother.
One could say by having compassion for the spider, you are being apathetic towards the wasp, who is also trying to survive just as much as that spider. Sure compassion is noble, but so is equality.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I think the biggest problem would be water. Make sure it’s well hydrated if possible. I wouldn’t worry about food to much it’s very plump

The Snark

Old Timer
One could say by having compassion for the spider, you are being apathetic towards the wasp, who is also trying to survive just as much as that spider. Sure compassion is noble, but so is equality.
Paradoxes. Can I call myself a naturalist? An environmentalist? A Buddhist, after all the mercy killings I've done?

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Hello again! I first want to say that I absolutely understand both sides of this discussion, and I've wondered many times over the past weeks whether I should have let nature take its course. However, what's done is done, and now I just want to give this little guy the best care I can before eventually returning him to the wild.

Now for the good news! After many days of careful watering and using a pipette to dispense a small droplet directly between the chelicerae, I saw movement this morning. The spider had recovered a small amount of mobility in its backmost two legs and its palps! I can only hope that this is the beginning of this little one's recovery. I will keep this thread updated!