Jobs in animal care?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey guys. I'm trying to find a new job that's is preferably NOT a pet store. I can't handle the laziness, neglect, and astounding unproffesionalism any more. Can any of you point me in the directions of some good websites or even a company you know off hand hiring for any animal related positions (exotics preferred..zoological specimens even better!) ? Pretty much the only stipulation is it needs to have benefits...besides the obvious satisfactory animal care. I've looked around on google but most of what I can find are either 1. groomers, 2. pet stores or 3. vet techs requiring an RVT
I've tried both Dallas and Ft. Worth zoos but they are very hard to get a job at (even though I even worked for Dallas for 6 months as a temp) Any suggestions? I'm getting desperate and I have no idea where to look :(

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you could try to find a good pet store to work at:} other than that, without a degree i think your options are pretty limited:(

Boanerges

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I can't offer any helpful information but I did want to say good luck and I hope you find something you like!!!!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you could try to find a good pet store to work at:} other than that, without a degree i think your options are pretty limited:(
Lol yeah I'm in the process of getting a zoology degree. The pet store I work at is great in its animal care. At least, the people in direct contact with the animals care about them though some can be a little lazy. It's the managerial staff that is completely unprofessional and I'm tired of working in an environment that is reminiscent of a junior high.

I can't offer any helpful information but I did want to say good luck and I hope you find something you like!!!!
Thanks I need all the luck I can get lol

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I would try to look for a small "mom and pop" zoo, there aren't very many but I've been to a few here in Tex. There's one in w Austin. It's harder to find a job, business is noticeably slower almost everywhere I go. They don't like to talk about that in the news though. To me it looks like more people are losing their jobs and moving in with relatives. I drove through a neighborhood a few days ago and so many of the houses had 4 or 5 cars hanging around, in the driveways and in the street. Good luck with it. I'd much rather like my job than to go somewhere every day that I hated.

Last edited:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i hear you on that inept management issue:mad: the owner of the business that i work at is slowly driving himself out because he can't figure out that advertising might help... i believe the phrase is: cant see the forest for the ******* trees

oh well, you work with what you have i suppose:rolleyes:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hahaha....well...id say ones i know of here (missouri around springfield) if your willing to move.....one would be exotic animal paridise...far from paridise...and dont know how well managed they acually are....or you can see about getting on at the wonders of wildlife at the bass pro museum...it wouldnt hurt to ask or look into...but if you land the job...please get me on!....ive been dieing to work at the bass pro wildlife museum since i found out it was opening!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
well, i'll have my degree in biology in may, and i'm hoping to land a job with the division of wildlife, the government, or some really good company. experience and a degree are the requirements for the cool jobs, experience in the 2-4 yr range. but really, if you can get your masters soon, you'll be set and can get a cool job in quite a few places doing almost anything you want.

Lucille

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LeilaNami, have to talked to the Texas A&M vet school? I'm sure they have many support positions that do not require certification and that would have benefits.
I've called over there from time to time with critter questions over the years and as a whole they have seemed like a very nice group.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LeilaNami, have to talked to the Texas A&M vet school? I'm sure they have many support positions that do not require certification and that would have benefits.
I've called over there from time to time with critter questions over the years and as a whole they have seemed like a very nice group.

This is a great idea..my aunt worked in a vet's office without a degree and loved it

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Check with different vet offices. A few years ago, one of the vets I use was hiring a receptionist/vet assistant, with no degree required, perfect for students. I interviewed, and did some shadowing to test the waters, but ultimately was passed up for a girl who was in a pre-vet program.
Anyways, that job involved mostly answering phones, managing the front desk, and cleaning up the OR and exam rooms, but also included prepping animals for surgery and the likes.
It might not be the most exciting job, but its in the right field. Good luck on your search!

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think I would try to look for a small "mom and pop" zoo, there aren't very many but I've been to a few here in Tex. .
If you ever want to be hired by an AZA accredited zoo, don't do this. It will be hard if not impossible to use it as a reference. Your best bet is to get a job at a zoo, and I mean any job. I started off cleaning bathrooms for a year. Make your intentions known that you are a zoology student and want to work with animals. If you just want experience and keep your current job, become an intern. From personal experience, we never hire someone who has not worked at a previous accredited institution or hasn't worked or interned here before.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you ever want to be hired by an AZA accredited zoo, don't do this. It will be hard if not impossible to use it as a reference. Your best bet is to get a job at a zoo, and I mean any job. I started off cleaning bathrooms for a year. Make your intentions known that you are a zoology student and want to work with animals. If you just want experience and keep your current job, become an intern. From personal experience, we never hire someone who has not worked at a previous accredited institution or hasn't worked or interned here before.
Okay. I was thinking of doing the volunteer program just to get my face in front of them. They want one year experience but I only have 6 months as an education interpreter for the seasonal sting ray exhibit they had. I was actually told by the Education coordinator that they will look down upon those who take any job :?

A&M is 3 hours away and I just bought a house :(

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I missed that you are in school and still had the job at the pet store, aaand you bought a house. I don't know what your situation is but from what little I know about it, seems a little early to own a house. I hate apts though so I know how that goes. I lived in dumps for years saving money. The rental market is prob going to pick up but you prob don't like the idea of renting out that house. That house might limit your options right now. It might be some kind of blessing later though if you hang on to it. I would take any job (almost) like Heddora99 said. They won't look down on you, even after they know you just a little. Get in, get to know people and keep letting them know where your interests are and prove yourself in areas you're interested in when they give you the smallest window of opportunity to do something different. I did that at a job I had. After a year, I said I was going to leave for good unless they gave me a chance at doing "so-and-so". It wasn't a threat at all, I was just going to leave. I didn't care to keep doing what I was doing. They said "OK". I quit 14 years later because I hated that too!! hahahaha! Good luck. I feel for you, I really do. I remember those days, I didn't like those days but, just hang in there! It will come together somewhere, somehow and some way.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I missed that you are in school and still had the job at the pet store, aaand you bought a house. I don't know what your situation is but from what little I know about it, seems a little early to own a house. I hate apts though so I know how that goes. I lived in dumps for years saving money. The rental market is prob going to pick up but you prob don't like the idea of renting out that house. That house might limit your options right now. It might be some kind of blessing later though if you hang on to it. I would take any job (almost) like Heddora99 said. They won't look down on you, even after they know you just a little. Get in, get to know people and keep letting them know where your interests are and prove yourself in areas you're interested in when they give you the smallest window of opportunity to do something different. I did that at a job I had. After a year, I said I was going to leave for good unless they gave me a chance at doing "so-and-so". It wasn't a threat at all, I was just going to leave. I didn't care to keep doing what I was doing. They said "OK". I quit 14 years later because I hated that too!! hahahaha! Good luck. I feel for you, I really do. I remember those days, I didn't like those days but, just hang in there! It will come together somewhere, somehow and some way.
Well technically it's a mobile house so selling it or anything would be kinda hard in the market right now {D I bought it specifically because I had three or four roommates completely...well you know. I had a roommate live in my trailer for about 3 months....My new carpet now looks like it's 20 years old. :mad: I can't afford apartment rent and I used money from stocks to buy the trailer. The bills and land lease combined are still cheaper than just rent for a one bedroom apartment {D I'm not giving up, but I am a little frustrated. I was just wanting to know if you guys knew anywhere to look that I haven't. Oh, and the school isn't really an issue. I'm only taking one class a semester unless I can find a night school.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh man, you sound just like me, I didn't like having roommates at all, everything becomes unpredictable. And way to go on getting a mobile, you can save a lot that way. I've thought about it a lot and when I look back, that's what would have been best for me just starting out, I think anyway. I would have bought a mobile and hunkered down and saved for 10 years or more to buy a house on more property with almost all I saved. I rented a mobile for a while when I was in school. That was in the 80s. I saved for years to get this house and it was well worth saving to me. Also, there are people making a lot of money renting out mobile homes. I have an uncle that's a lawyer/banker, but he made a lot of money of his money renting out mobiles, there's kind of a trick to it, can't remember what it was. Anyway sorry, I get off topic too often I think. Good luck.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you considered looking to see if any wildlife rehabilitation or animal rescue/sanctuary facilities in your area need workers? Higher-traffic facilities often have paid positions, though it may just be grunt work like cleaning and prepping diets. I know Texas has some big exotics rescues and similar facilities, so they might be a good place to look.

You could also contact your state department of environmental conservation (or whatever Texas has in that vein). Occasionally they have some wildlife related positions, though they're more enforcement, management, and public education focused than "working with animals" focused. Still, they sometimes need people to help collect data for fieldwork; a gal I went to school with got to help collect and measure American Eels from traps to record data for a study the NY DEC was doing.

Since you are working towards a degree, you should also look into summer research positions. They often have handsome stipends and will pay for transportation - excellent way to get your foot in the door of the scientific community, great experience, and often field or hands-on experience with critters if you know how to pick the right program. They may not exactly be animal husbandry jobs per se, but if you're doing in-house rather than field research, husbandry may be part of the bargain.

Finally, laboratories, animal dealers/suppliers, and colleges with biology programs all often need animal care staff. They might not be something that sits well with you ethically, however, depending on what kind of facility it is and what your tasks would be. There could also be conflicts with what you currently own; I was offered a job at a laboratory rodent breeder/supplier in our area but then could not be employed as I keep rodents myself (and thus posed a potential risk to some of their VERY expensive stock).

Last edited:

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Have you considered looking to see if any wildlife rehabilitation or animal rescue/sanctuary facilities in your area need workers? Higher-traffic facilities often have paid positions, though it may just be grunt work like cleaning and prepping diets. I know Texas has some big exotics rescues and similar facilities, so they might be a good place to look.

You could also contact your state department of environmental conservation (or whatever Texas has in that vein). Occasionally they have some wildlife related positions, though they're more enforcement, management, and public education focused than "working with animals" focused. Still, they sometimes need people to help collect data for fieldwork; a gal I went to school with got to help collect and measure American Eels from traps to record data for a study the NY DEC was doing.

Since you are working towards a degree, you should also look into summer research positions. They often have handsome stipends and will pay for transportation - excellent way to get your foot in the door of the scientific community, great experience, and often field or hands-on experience with critters if you know how to pick the right program. They may not exactly be animal husbandry jobs per se, but if you're doing in-house rather than field research, husbandry may be part of the bargain.

Finally, laboratories, animal dealers/suppliers, and colleges with biology programs all often need animal care staff. They might not be something that sits well with you ethically, however, depending on what kind of facility it is and what your tasks would be. There could also be conflicts with what you currently own; I was offered a job at a laboratory rodent breeder/supplier in our area but then could not be employed as I keep rodents myself (and thus posed a potential risk to some of their VERY expensive stock).
All the sanctuaries are at least 3 hours away and the wildlife parks are basically only hiring part time camp counselors. I've looked for city jobs and nothing of the sort is available. The only other venue is the university though their career placement page is offline (go figure..). Blargh this is frustrating.

Snuggles

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why not try an animal shelter? The large ones in my area have all sorts of paid positions from animal care, non-certified and certified vet techs, public relations, tour guides, event organizers, adoption counselors, fundraising, night security, etc. There are part time positions, full time positions and internships.

I worked at one for about two years and it was the most I have learned in two years than at any other job. Hectic as can be, but I ran into some situations and learned from some experiences that I never would have otherwise.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well is there any way for you to try and obtain an animal rehabilitaors license?....i know in missouri depending on species...there are grants and such to become a animal rehab...like in cape giradue...i knew a guy who got a license to work with birds of prey including...bald eagles, red tailed hawks, vultures, and owls....ad he did it out of his house....im not sure of the requirments...but he did it....and got paid not sure how much...but that was his full time job...and he and a couple mo conservation agents down there i know have now help get the populations of bald eagles back around the mississippi river....incredible site to see btw. if it is a zoo type job your looking for...just stay in school and volunteer if you have too...or try and become an intern. i would stay away from unacredited exibits though because even if well run they always seem to get bad raps. but i wish you luck....hope for the best...i know your frustration too though...i want to become a missouri conservation agent sooo bad i can taste it...even though i volunteer alot...i have to go to school for foresty(masters) go through basically highway patrol training camp and then have a batchelors in wildlife and game manegment:eek: im just too broke for that kind of schooling...(6 years or better)