Is this normal?

TRection

Arachnoknight
I tried to feed her today for the first time since she molted but she refused, she tagged the superworm and killed it but didnt eat it. She pushed it out of her hide and wants nothing to do with it, maybe its still too soon? if she is still hardening would that explain the pulsing and the refusal of food?

Edit: She went back and started eating it this morning so at least shes eating :)

Last edited:

TRection

Arachnoknight
Shes out and about right now so i set the camera back up, this definitely doesn't seems normal and you can really see it now that shes out in the open, just before i got the camera it seemed like she couldn't even hold herself up, she pulsed a few times and then dropped right down and then got back up, the moment she starts moving around again ill catch it and upload the video :/ i really hope shes not getting dks or something

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I was checking in on your thread -- hoping the pulsing had stopped. Never witnessed such before.
Glad to hear she's able to eat.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I was checking in on your thread -- hoping the pulsing had stopped. Never witnessed such before.
Glad to hear she's able to eat.
I've been researching this kind of behavior for the passed few days and i have not found much on it either except for the other thread i found the other day. This doesn't seem like something that people come across often so im really hoping for just really weird longer than usual post molt behavior, and not some strange rare disease. Hopefully she starts walking around again so i can catch it on video and stop sitting in front of a camera while shes making herself comfortable haha

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
so im really hoping for just really weird longer than usual post molt behavior, and not some strange rare disease.
I hope it's temporary also. (fingers crossed!)
I do think eating is a positive sign, so try to hold on to that good news.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I hope it's temporary also. (fingers crossed!)
I do think eating is a positive sign, so try to hold on to that good news.
Thats true at least she is eating and i hope its temporary as well, she doesnt seem to be bothered by it and aside from the pulsing goes about her day as usual so i hope its nothing serious :embarrassed:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeah that's definitely not something I've observed before. @cold blood @Poec54 @EulersK What about you guys? You've all dealt with hundreds of Ts-- ever see anything like that? It almost reminds me of watching someone with hiccups-- that subtle little jerk as their body convulses minutely.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It looks a lot like tapping, but still not quite right. What's strange is that it seems to move around just fine other than those random "hiccups". No, I haven't seen this exactly before. Hoping that someone else can chime in.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Just an update of Carnage, she is still eating and behaving just fine but is still doing the weird pulsing. I have also noticed that she is developing a bald spot on her abdomen already. Is it possible for her to begin trying to molt already so soon? perhaps this pulsing is due to some unseen or internal injury caused by her recent molt? (just speculation of course but i dont see any other reason for the bald patch, i have been leaving her tank alone entirely and not even going near the tank except for feeding and even that is non-moving head crushed super worms)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@miss moxie tagged some people that might be able to shed some light.

I have also not witnessed that type of pulsation prior to this Video. It does not appear to be hindering its ability to get around.

@TRection It seems really restless in that Video. Is it always moving around that much?

TRection

Arachnoknight
@miss moxie tagged some people that might be able to shed some light.

I have also not witnessed that type of pulsation prior to this Video. It does not appear to be hindering its ability to get around.

@TRection It seems really restless in that Video. Is it always moving around that much?
It seems normal to what she usually does, it also took me about 4 hours to capture that 3 minute clip because besides what was seen in the video she was just sitting still out in the open for the 4 hours. Not really sure what the backing up into the hide was about, but other than that she normally will come out, sit around for a few hours, move to a new spot and repeat.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It seems normal to what she usually does, it also took me about 4 hours to capture that 3 minute clip because besides what was seen in the video she was just sitting still out in the open for the 4 hours. Not really sure what the backing up into the hide was about, but other than that she normally will come out, sit around for a few hours, move to a new spot and repeat.
If I recall correctly, you indicated at some point that this started occurring immediately post molt?

TRection

Arachnoknight
If I recall correctly, you indicated at some point that this started occurring immediately post molt?
Yes this has been happening ever since her molt 2 weeks ago, im thinking there may have been a problem with the molt that caused this but i see no other issues or damage to the abdomen or anything so im wondering if it is internal :/

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yes this has been happening ever since her molt 2 weeks ago, im thinking there may have been a problem with the molt that caused this but i see no other issues or damage to the abdomen or anything so im wondering if it is internal :/
Have you fed it since the molt ?

TRection

Arachnoknight
Have you fed it since the molt ?
Yeah shes still eating just fine, i fed her a freshly molted super worm last week as her first meal (a week and few days after molt) and then a normal one on this passed sunday. I even caught her drinking from the dish last night which is he first time ever for me seeing that haha, besides the pulsing she is acting normally so its really odd.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Quick little update, she refused food yesterday and again today when i tried but at least she is acting normal now, very out in the open exploring the tank and actually drinking water. It has been a whole week since i saw her do any sort of pulsing so thats a plus :D

The lack of eating might just be that she is tired of superworms again so i might have to give her a cricket or 2 (this has happened before if i dont switch it up every once and a while) ill give it a try anyways

Last edited: