Is this normal?

TRection

Arachnoknight
My Genic just molted for the second time in my care and im seeing something that i dont know if its normal or not. Her legs seems to be pulsing (not weird uncoordinated twitching or spazzing) more like all of the legs are pulsing at once, is that normal post molt stretching type behavior or is something wrong? i wish i could take a video of it but it doesn't happen very often maybe once every 10-20 minutes

20171007_1037121.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Many post moult behaviours seem strange. I would only think something is wrong if it was happening all the time instead of just after moult.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Many post moult behaviours seem strange. I would only think something is wrong if it was happening all the time instead of just after moult.
Agreed. They do a lot of “weird” stuff during their stretching, hardening period.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My Genic just molted for the second time in my care and im seeing something that i dont know if its normal or not. Her legs seems to be pulsing (not weird uncoordinated twitching or spazzing) more like all of the legs are pulsing at once, is that normal post molt stretching type behavior or is something wrong? i wish i could take a video of it but it doesn't happen very often maybe once every 10-20 minutes

View attachment 254123
I would say it is normal because it is so soon post molt. If it continued to exhibit the behavior during normal times then I would start to be concerned.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Thank you everyone!, that scared me for a second :embarrassed:

Edit, she just did it again, its like she will walk a few inches, stop, pulse a couple times and then repeat

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't think anythings wrong at all. That's how they get their old exo off, by violently pumping their fluids around their body to pop off their carapace.

If she's recently molted, it's likely her fluids are settling down.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
This makes me think of the "drumming" they do before mating... but I have never witnessed this in person.

For my own knowledge, will a female pulse or "vibrate" like that after maturing if no male is present?

TRection

Arachnoknight
This makes me think of the "drumming" they do before mating... but I have never witnessed this in person.

For my own knowledge, will a female pulse or "vibrate" like that after maturing if no male is present?
I wouldnt know much about that either, but shes not mature, shes only abour 4-4.5 inches right now, i have only had her for about 6 months

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My Genic just molted for the second time in my care and im seeing something that i dont know if its normal or not. Her legs seems to be pulsing (not weird uncoordinated twitching or spazzing) more like all of the legs are pulsing at once, is that normal post molt stretching type behavior or is something wrong?
Likely just filling out her new exoskeleton. (It's wrinkled in order to fit inside the older, smaller exoskeleton and needs to be stretched out before it hardens.)

TRection

Arachnoknight
Its been a week since she molted and shes still doing the little pulsing thing after she walks around(less than before but still very easy to notice) i hope it goes away soon because its starting to worry me again lol.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
That doesn't sound too normal to me to be honest. The only pulsing I've seen is when they're still on their backs and really soft, not while they're walking around.

TRection

Arachnoknight
That doesn't sound too normal to me to be honest. The only pulsing I've seen is when they're still on their backs and really soft, not while they're walking around.
I agree and its freaking me out, i dont know much but i feel like if it was post molt related it should have been done by now, like i said though it has improved a little so hopfully it goes away in another week or so. Im going to try and feed her soon and see how that goes.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I agree and its freaking me out, i dont know much but i feel like if it was post molt related it should have been done by now, like i said though it has improved a little so hopfully it goes away in another week or so. Im going to try and feed her soon and see how that goes.
Take a Video.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I have the camera all set up and thankfully shes come to the entrance of her hide which usually means she will be out and about pretty soon so i should be able to get a good video of this, i really hope its nothing serious. :(

Edit: could something like this still be happening after a week? http://arachnoboards.com/threads/t-is-pulsating-3-days-after-molt.172122/

Edit 2: while i wait for her to come out so i can get a video let me try and give more details. After reading this thread i can get a better phasing for the movement shes doing.

When shes sitting still shes seems completely normal, when she walks around her legs dont seems out of sync or anything like that, but the second she stops moving her whole body will pulse 3-4 times just like a heart beat and then she will go back to normal. This only happens for the 1-2 seconds after she moves around and then it stops. She also doesnt seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary personality wise, she sits at her hide entrance, comes out and walks around for bit, and then wattles on back and repeat.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have the camera all set up and thankfully shes come to the entrance of her hide which usually means she will be out and about pretty soon so i should be able to get a good video of this, i really hope its nothing serious. :(

Edit: could something like this still be happening after a week? http://arachnoboards.com/threads/t-is-pulsating-3-days-after-molt.172122/

Edit 2: while i wait for her to come out so i can get a video let me try and give more details. After reading this thread i can get a better phasing for the movement shes doing.

When shes sitting still shes seems completely normal, when she walks around her legs dont seems out of sync or anything like that, but the second she stops moving her whole body will pulse 3-4 times just like a heart beat and then she will go back to normal. This only happens for the 1-2 seconds after she moves around and then it stops. She also doesnt seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary personality wise, she sits at her hide entrance, comes out and walks around for bit, and then wattles on back and repeat.

It may be nothing. I admit I don't know every intricate detail of how mine move even after all this time. The video, along with your explanation of what to be looking for, will go a long way. If it is normal, then I am sure others have experienced it with theirs as well.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I got a video of her doing it inside her hide and i saved that but im waiting for her to come out so i can get a better one, if she doesn't any time soon then ill just upload the first one and hope you all can see it

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I got a video of her doing it inside her hide and i saved that but im waiting for her to come out so i can get a better one, if she doesn't any time soon then ill just upload the first one and hope you all can see it
Upload the first one, then while waiting for the feedback on that you can watch out for an opportunity to film a second.

TRection

Arachnoknight
there's the first video, i dont think ill be able to get another one today i have to leave soon, it happens right at the start of the video sorry for the bad quality

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Oh, like that slight pulsation after it moves? Probably nothing, don't worry.