Is this enclosure big enough?

Morris23352

Arachnopeon
Ehh maybe not greatest but I think if done right it's not too bad of an idea unless someone has a reason why it is

Attachments

Kiki G

Arachnopeon
My juvenile pink toe avic is in a
1+1/2 tub at the moment but I'll be rehousing her after she's moulted.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Can you please tell me what part of that you had be sarcastic about. Your actin as in its a terrible idea.
If my comment offended you in any way, I do apologise for causing those effects! I found the idea of making hides for tarantulas with a chainsaw as slightly funny and an overkill of sorts, but I never had any bad intentions with stating those words!

Sana

Arachnoprince
I use various bark and wood pieces from the great outdoors. Depending on the thickness I bake it for 3-6 hours or until I remember that I put bark in the oven yesterday. I occasionally have a spot of mold appear but it's rare enough that I just pull the piece and replace it with another. If it happened more often I would probably try something different but for now it's working just fine. I've never had any parasite issues after baking whatever I plan to use.

Morris23352

Arachnopeon
Ehh i might have took it wrong no harm no foul. Can anything made out of cow manure hurt? Just curouse

cold blood

Staff member
IME that wood looks way too fresh. Old wood is better.

On another note, for using a chainsaw the look you got was pretty good.

Using something made of cow manure is a great way to attract flies. I wouldn't even consider it personally. Dollar stores sell 3 packs of small clay pots, hardware stores sell pvc pipe, which when appropriately sized, is another great, cheap and easy to attain potential hide.

Vindicta

Arachnopeon
Yes with a but and an if. It can work, but you need to know what dill and wont work and if you have a good place to collect.

Unfortunately those rounded beautiful bark pieces that are so abundant in many woods is the stuff I avoid. It seems to be very difficult to dry, and then it is super absorbant even if its not touching a water source and is prone to mold. I generally ride out the mold in many cases and I almost always gave up on it, so I no longer use it. I find driftwood to be the safest and the least prone to molding.

All the wood I use is collected, cork is nice, no doubts, but I have a lot of great wood that I think actually looks more natural and cost me $0.00....I have a lot of enclosures, switching to cork would be like buying a new boat....I'd rather have the boat;)

Unfortunately that's not the case.

Could you pretty please upload a pic of some examples of driftwood you use for your hides? Do you bake them?

Vindicta

Arachnopeon
I do clean and bake them, but the baking is to get the moisture out of the wood...honestly, parasites aren't a concern for me, although the baking would certainly kill anything.
Those look very nice, I'm gonna have to go out and hide hunt soon :) How to do you wash them? Thanks for the pics and quick reply

cold blood

Staff member
Lakes and rivers are good places to look as there will be specific areas where wind or current will congregate the wood. Even dry riverbeds will have wood piled in these same places if you can follow the old river bed. Necked down areas or the outside bends in the river will stack this wood during high water periods and leave it piled once water levels drop. On lakes, beaches...especially the ends, can be prime places to look. I've got a section of little used beach near me on Lake Michigan that's a driftwood gold mine.

The woods can be ok, but I tend to only use wood that's basically rotted it so old, anything too fresh molds easily.

Many years ago my collections were a crapshoot, as I just took what looked good, now I have learned which wood to avoid, there are some great pieces that I just walk right by because I know that ultimately, they just won't work.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
How to do you wash them?
I really just rinse them and rub them with my hands to get any residual dirt or sand loose....then onto a cookie sheet and into the oven....250(ish) for 20-30 min....just about when it starts to smell (not a bad smell IMO).

Sana

Arachnoprince
Can't tell you the number of times that I have left a pile of wood in my oven and gone about what I was doing only to have my son come ask me what I'm cooking for dinner and why it smells like that.