Is this enclosure big enough?

Morris23352

Arachnopeon
I'm getting a 1.5" A.Geniculata and wondering yalls opinion is this enclosure large enough and if it needs more to it. It's looking rather small now that I think about it but what's yalls thoughts?

PS4 for reference

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Doesn't look to small to me for a 1.5'', I personally use KIS Omni Acc. Box, 2L as enclosures for my juvies who are outgrowing deli-cup containers. Don't forget a hide and most importantly a water-dish.

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Seems ok but there isn't much context to that shot as far as size comparison. Do you know its dimensions?

Agree with Tarantula1995 and Chris...gotta get a decent hide as well as a water dish. I would also add some more sub as it looks pretty thin.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, mistertim is right. Add not only the hide and the water dish, but a bit of substrate. Remain on the safe side ;-)

Morris23352

Arachnopeon
Will a hide from outside work? Like sum curved bark? I'm afraid of parasites though but thinking I can bake the bark?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Will a hide from outside work? Like sum curved bark? I'm afraid of parasites though but thinking I can bake the bark?
I believe baking at 250 for 2-3 hours should sterilize it nicely, I haven't recently but I believe those are the conditions I used in the past. They will still be more prone to mold than cork, but you won't have to worry about parasites ect.

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
Looks good it will out grow it pretty fast but looks fine to me. I use bark from dead trees for all my hides and have never had problems some even come with a few beneficial rolly pollies . i still have some self sustaining after a year . they out compete mites and keep them at bay in humid enclosures.

Morris23352

Arachnopeon
Do you bake the dead bark? I'm thinking of getting a bigger enclosure anyway just in case. I'm thinking their gonna be bigger then I expected.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I´m using hides that I have collected in the forest for all my arid enclosures. They tend to grow mould more easily than cork bark, so I don´t use it for the tropical species. I´ve never bothered to bake it or anything like that. Never had any problems with parasites or mites :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I´m using hides that I have collected in the forest for all my arid enclosures. They tend to grow mould more easily than cork bark, so I don´t use it for the tropical species. I´ve never bothered to bake it or anything like that. Never had any problems with parasites or mites :)
Often though this depends on where you collected from and a pinch of luck. Personally I deem it not worth the risk to try in the event something is in there that I do not see. Better safe than sorry.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Often though this depends on where you collected from and a pinch of luck. Personally I deem it not worth the risk to try in the event something is in there that I do not see. Better safe than sorry.
Of course it depends on the area you collect it from. I´ve seen this topic discussed several times on a Norwegian forum, and the general consensus seems to be that things collected in the forest poses little (if any) threat to T´s when it comes to parasites etc. To my knowledge no one has ever reported any issues with it. I suppose that´s one of the main benefits of living this close to the Arctic.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes with a but and an if. It can work, but you need to know what dill and wont work and if you have a good place to collect.

Unfortunately those rounded beautiful bark pieces that are so abundant in many woods is the stuff I avoid. It seems to be very difficult to dry, and then it is super absorbant even if its not touching a water source and is prone to mold. I generally ride out the mold in many cases and I almost always gave up on it, so I no longer use it. I find driftwood to be the safest and the least prone to molding.

All the wood I use is collected, cork is nice, no doubts, but I have a lot of great wood that I think actually looks more natural and cost me $0.00....I have a lot of enclosures, switching to cork would be like buying a new boat....I'd rather have the boat;)
Of course the Northern cold will destroy every form of living bacteria & such. You are lucky ;-)
Unfortunately that's not the case.

Morris23352

Arachnopeon
What if I was to cut oak wood and make a hide out of?? Is it that prone to mold or parasites? What about the oak shavings or flakes because Im I using a chainsaw to help make it. Would any of that be something to consider?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
What if I was to cut oak wood and make a hide out of?? Is it that prone to mold or parasites? What about the oak shavings or flakes because Im I using a chainsaw to help make it. Would any of that be something to consider?
You´re planning to use a chainsaw to make a hide for a tarantula? Sounds like a splendid idea. You might as well bring out a Colt magnum to pre-kill those crickets :D

Morris23352

Arachnopeon
Can you please tell me what part of that you had be sarcastic about. Your actin as in its a terrible idea.