Is my terrarium okay? & cricket keeping questions

Peachloser

Arachnopeon
This is my first ever terrarium for my first ever tarantula, Charlotte. She is a curly hair tarantula. I’m unsure if it’s too tall for her or not? She climbed the walls when we first placed her in, but that was because the substrate was too wet and I think she didn’t like it and was scared and uncomfortable. We then replaced the substrate, added more, and moved things around and she no longer climbs the walls. She is always either in her hide or walking around on the substrate exploring. I haven’t seen her drink yet so is there anything different I can do with that? Also, is keeping crickets like this a good idea? We are trying to fit them before we give them to her.

Attachments

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
With terrestrial species height of the enclosure isn't really something I would be worried about. Sure having a tall enclosure for a spider that won't climb might be a bit unnecessary but it won't negatively affect your spider. I would recommend you take the wood chips out though as they aren't the most tarantula friendly item you can put in an enclosure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but i believe they could get stuck to your tarantula's legs or could complicate a molt. As for your spider not drinking water, don't worry about it. I think I've only seen my tarantulas drink water two or three times and that was after molts. They'll know when they need to take a drink so as long as you keep the dish filled with water they should be fine. In my experience keeping crickets they slaughtered each other no matter what I did then I switched to Dubia roaches so I'll let someone else answer that question.

kasstro

Arachnopeon
Give the crickets some water based veggie like a ripped up salad leaf for feed. Add to the cricket pen after rinsing, leaving water on the surface. Your T will get water from the crickets that way. Add a piece of cardboard egg carton to the cricket pen to give them something to climb. As long as you provide feed for the crickets, they're less likely to eat each other.

What size is the exo terra?

Peachloser

Arachnopeon
Give the crickets some water based veggie like a ripped up salad leaf for feed. Add to the cricket pen after rinsing, leaving water on the surface. Your T will get water from the crickets that way. Add a piece of cardboard egg carton to the cricket pen to give them something to climb. As long as you provide feed for the crickets, they're less likely to eat each other.

What size is the exo terra?
12x12x12 :) & thanks for the info about crickets, the orange thing we gave them is like a nutrition cube that is food/water/vitamins all together but feeding the lettuce is something i’ll Do for sure as well as the egg carton and stuff. & cleaning it out .

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
This is my first ever terrarium for my first ever tarantula, Charlotte. She is a curly hair tarantula. I’m unsure if it’s too tall for her or not? She climbed the walls when we first placed her in, but that was because the substrate was too wet and I think she didn’t like it and was scared and uncomfortable. We then replaced the substrate, added more, and moved things around and she no longer climbs the walls. She is always either in her hide or walking around on the substrate exploring. I haven’t seen her drink yet so is there anything different I can do with that? Also, is keeping crickets like this a good idea? We are trying to fit them before we give them to her.
Unfortunately as Cold Blood mentioned in your other thread, your enclosure isn't suited for a terrestrial species in its design. As you've observed, even terrestrial species may roam from time to time, and a fall from that height can do considerable harm. In addition to this, exo-terra have mesh lids, which in most cases are woven, and tarantulas can get tarsal claws stuck in said weaving. This can result in a stuck/hanging T scenario, which while rare, can mean the tearing of limbs from your spider, damage to the fangs, etc, that can be really unpleasant to deal with. You can modify an exoterra for a terrestrial by replacing said mesh with ventilated plexi, and placing the enclosure on its side with the door facing up.

When it comes to the wood chips, as long as they aren't cedar(toxic to many invertebrates) and they do not make up the majority of your substrate, they really shouldn't be any issue.

They'll use the water dish when they need it, just always keep it filled and overfill it maybe once a week, as B. albopilosum do appreciate a little extra moisture.

I would give the crickets something to climb on/hide in like egg carton or paper towel roll, and they can be fed dog food/veggies, but also do fine on premade diets.

Welcome to the hobby, and to the boards, if you have any more questions do not be afraid to ask!

kasstro

Arachnopeon
The height is a risk for the t, terrestrial Ts do climb sometimes and that much of a drop can be harmful to them. Exo Terras have the wire mesh, so if she gets stuck, she could dislodge herself and fall and wind up with an injury that could be fatal.

Unfortunately with the doors, it isn't as simple as adding more substrate. You could angle the substrate towards the back as a quick fix, but you could also secure a piece of plexi glass behind the doors which will enable you to add more substrate all around.

boina

Lady of the mites
With terrestrial species height of the enclosure isn't really something I would be worried about. Sure having a tall enclosure for a spider that won't climb
And that's just it. They don't usually climb but when they actually do (and it's when, not if!) they do it badly. Terrestrial spiders are terrible at climbing glass but at one point they will try and then they are at risk of falling. A fall from that high up onto the hide or one of your wood chips is very likely to result in a split abdomen and that spells certain death for your tarantula. There are enough threads on here about tarantulas dying from a split abdomen. Two times the leg span is about the highest fall a tarantula can safely survive and most estimates are more conservative than that, as in 1.5 times the leg span. The larger the tarantula the less height it can actually survive.

Crickets need some hiding places (egg carton) and I'd be rather careful with moisture. They come from arid regions and don't tolerate high humidity at all. Salad with water on it is actually a good way to kill them. Furthermore, contrary to what people believe, salad has very little nutritional value as it's low in minerals, vitamins, and protein. You can feed them oats, dog/cat kibble, and some low moisture veggies like carrots, squash, and similar for moisture. My personal favorite is fish food, since it has a pretty good protein/carb balance, low fat, and all necessary nutrients added, but it's certainly not the only option.

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
It is too high for a terrestrial. If she decides to climb and eventually fall down, she can hurt herself. Also, what do you have for ventilation in that enclosure?? Isn't it mesh??

Ant

Arachnopeon
With terrestrial species height of the enclosure isn't really something I would be worried about. Sure having a tall enclosure for a spider that won't climb might be a bit unnecessary but it won't negatively affect your spider.
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Peachloser

Arachnopeon
It is too high for a terrestrial. If she decides to climb and eventually fall down, she can hurt herself. Also, what do you have for ventilation in that enclosure?? Isn't it mesh??
Yes, it’s mesh. & I realize I got the wrong enclosure. This is literally my first tarantula. I order this instead. Please let me know what you think

Unfortunately as Cold Blood mentioned in your other thread, your enclosure isn't suited for a terrestrial species in its design. As you've observed, even terrestrial species may roam from time to time, and a fall from that height can do considerable harm. In addition to this, exo-terra have mesh lids, which in most cases are woven, and tarantulas can get tarsal claws stuck in said weaving. This can result in a stuck/hanging T scenario, which while rare, can mean the tearing of limbs from your spider, damage to the fangs, etc, that can be really unpleasant to deal with. You can modify an exoterra for a terrestrial by replacing said mesh with ventilated plexi, and placing the enclosure on its side with the door facing up.

When it comes to the wood chips, as long as they aren't cedar(toxic to many invertebrates) and they do not make up the majority of your substrate, they really shouldn't be any issue.

They'll use the water dish when they need it, just always keep it filled and overfill it maybe once a week, as B. albopilosum do appreciate a little extra moisture.

I would give the crickets something to climb on/hide in like egg carton or paper towel roll, and they can be fed dog food/veggies, but also do fine on premade diets.

Welcome to the hobby, and to the boards, if you have any more questions do not be afraid to ask!
I ordered a more suitable terrarium for her I think! No mesh, only top opening so I can add more substrate if I need to. & way shorter.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Ant

Arachnopeon
Looks great, personally I'd fill the substrate to just under those side vents. Once you've received it and set it up, make sure to post a picture. You can always sell the old enclosure . . . or just buy an arboreal T :troll:

Peachloser

Arachnopeon
Looks great, personally I'd fill the substrate to just under those side vents. Once you've received it and set it up, make sure to post a picture. You can always sell the old enclosure . . . or just buy an arboreal T :troll:
Thank you so much for the help. The last thing I want is to risk injuring her! I will post a picture once everything is completed. Thank you again.

Peachloser

Arachnopeon
You should probably read this thread before you rehouse your T. into your new enclosure. :)

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/anyone-try-these-yet.303399/

I bought such an enclosure myself, but haven't used it yet. It looks great, nice size and good ventilation, but I'm not so sure about its stability. I'll probably glue it properly before I consider to use it. ;)
The one I ordered is a little different, it screws together. It doesn’t just snap. (I think) at least that’s what the reviews have said.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Okay, maybe that's a bit better than just the snapping stuff. ;) I couldn't see it well enough in the picture you provided. I'd probably glue it anyway, just to be on the safe side. ;)

Peachloser

Arachnopeon
Okay, maybe that's a bit better than just the snapping stuff. ;) I couldn't see it well enough in the picture you provided. I'd probably glue it anyway, just to be on the safe side. ;)
Good idea. Thank you.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
I actually quite like the exo Terra enclosures, as others have said the mesh lid is a big risk but you can solve this by buying some acrylic drilling some ventilation holes and fixing it to the lid with some sort of Glue (I find hot melt glue the best). The only other issue is height which can be fixed by using some more acrylic in front of the doors, They do need a little modifying but IMO are pretty nice terrariums. As for the crickets I keep mine in a cheap faunarium/cricket keeper with some egg crates and I usually use potato to keep them fed.

Dragondrool

Arachnosquire
I would say your tank is fantastic. Remove woodchips just to be safe. I always kind of dig a little area for my water dish to be in so that the water is exposed but it's easy to travel in and out of to reduce drowning risks :) I wouldn't worry about the height honestly. Your T will want to climb either way so it's okay. Just don't tap on the glass where she's at ;)