Im new to bugs and stuff

Adventurebro

Arachnopeon
Hi all my name is rich and iv just recently bought 2 blue death feigning beetles and i love them id like to add more to the tank can someone recommend other desert beetles beside the stink bug because i like to hold them and watch them crawl.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are an assortment of darkling beetles and ironclad beetles that would do well with death feigning beetles. You might like wooly darkling beetles. They are cute, fuzzy, pretty active - and they don't play dead when you try to hold them!

https://bugguide.net/node/view/1478254/bgimage

BuzzSwole

Arachnosquire
Literally any desert beetle is fine. Though other insects might get eaten. I found a fungus beetle on my desk this winter and I threw him in there because why let him freeze outside... well he went into their main hide one day and next day they threw out his wings :anxious:
https://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Beetles_c6.htm
He’s a great guy to order from.

Schledog

Arachnosquire
Welcome to the hobby! As for beetles go most darklings are great and most won’t spray you like the “stink bugs”
As for other critters if you can find velvet ants they will live fine with your beetles although you can’t hold them. You can also keep hadrus arizonis (sorry I forgot the common name) with the beetles. I personally keep mine with some rough death feigning beetles.

BuzzSwole

Arachnosquire
Welcome to the hobby! As for beetles go most darklings are great and most won’t spray you like the “stink bugs”
As for other critters if you can find velvet ants they will live fine with your beetles although you can’t hold them. You can also keep hadrus arizonis (sorry I forgot the common name) with the beetles. I personally keep mine with some rough death feigning beetles.
I forgot the velvet ants lol and it’s called a desert hairy scorpion. Though if you don’t build them a pre made burrow on the glass you’ll never see them again lol

Adventurebro

Arachnopeon
There are an assortment of darkling beetles and ironclad beetles that would do well with death feigning beetles. You might like wooly darkling beetles. They are cute, fuzzy, pretty active - and they don't play dead when you try to hold them!

https://bugguide.net/node/view/1478254/bgimage
Thank you .. yes i love those lil guys but someone told me they spray like the stink bug but i dont believe they do

Adventurebro

Arachnopeon
Zdx

Attachments

Adventurebro

Arachnopeon
The hairy scorpion is that what it is..beautiful but then i wouldn't want to put my hand in the tank lol ..iv considered velvet beetles but they do sting lol

Adventurebro

Arachnopeon
They do not spray. Pretty much any of the ones with fused Elytra (wing casings) don’t spray
Thats great thank you for the assurance i will definitely be adding to my tank soon .. i looked up the site and wow they have alot of choices

BuzzSwole

Arachnosquire
Thats great thank you for the assurance i will definitely be adding to my tank soon .. i looked up the site and wow they have alot of choices
The one I’d be careful of buying though with some of the larger darklings is the wooly. They have been known to “bully” them to death sadly

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
If the scorpion you have is indeed a Hadrurus arizonensis, then you could keep it with some blue death feigning beetles. I have heard that they have been found living together in the wild and they eat the leftover waste from the scorpion’s meal and that the scorpion’s don’t really seem to bother them. Nice assortment of beetles in your profile pic by the way!

BuzzSwole

Arachnosquire
I use guerrilla glue for the rocks and expanding foam to fill the the gaps. Then covered the foam with black silicone then threw clay on it while it was wet. Then filled it with play sand and cacti. Tip keep cacti in the plastic cups, they don’t do well in just sand for long lol if you meant the insects just a bunch of bdfb

Attachments

Adventurebro

Arachnopeon
I use guerrilla glue for the rocks and expanding foam to fill the the gaps. Then covered the foam with black silicone then threw clay on it while it was wet. Then filled it with play sand and cacti. Tip keep cacti in the plastic cups, they don’t do well in just sand for long lol if you meant the insects just a bunch of bdfb
Lol yes i meant bugs but DAMN !!!I I LOVE THE DETAIL and hard work you put into it.. i just bought some new beetles, 2 woolly , and 2 reg darklings , the ones i wanted he was sold out hopefully soon he will get more diabolical darklings thier really cool .....here's some pics of my tanks and new kids

Adventurebro

Arachnopeon
What inspired you to build this tank and how did figure out how to make it ... i would guess your are or can be a tank designer lol .. GREAT JOB!!!!

Adventurebro

Arachnopeon
20190126_183012.jpg 20190126_183101.jpg 20190126_183051.jpg
If the scorpion you have is indeed a Hadrurus arizonensis, then you could keep it with some blue death feigning beetles. I have heard that they have been found living together in the wild and they eat the leftover waste from the scorpion’s meal and that the scorpion’s don’t really seem to bother them. Nice assortment of beetles in your profile pic by the way!
Hi mantisfan 101 actually i just posted pics of my tanks and my profile pic aren't mine and i was replying to someone about the scorpion..i hope to have a nice assortment soon so far i only have 2 Blue death feigning beetles..

BuzzSwole

Arachnosquire
What inspired you to build this tank and how did figure out how to make it ... i would guess your are or can be a tank designer lol .. GREAT JOB!!!!
Awwww ty! I pieced a lot of my knowledge from YouTube tutorials and just took some of it a bit further though man it was a a lot of patience involved lol I think the next desert tank I make for a desert mixer of beetles I’ll go for an Irish fields theme and coco fiber and hermit crab substrate because I want to try breeding them. The bdfbs are just way to much work for like a 5% chance. And your tanks look good! Who’s downstairs?