If you discovered a species, what would you name it?

Minty

@londontarantulas
Basically as the title says. Would you name it after yourself? Your kids? Would you use Latin words to describe its appearance?

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I'd look for some troll name that seems rather normal but I'd be the only one who knows the real meaning behind it. ;)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That's actually tougher to answer than I thought. Maybe I would choose naming it after myself, but more likely I would name it after someone I admire.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I probably would use Latin to describe its appearance. Either that, or name it after someone I look up to. I don't think I'd want to name it after myself.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I would name it after a Mexica deity, just to see people try to pronounce Brachypelma tlahuizcalpantecuhtli or Aphonopelma itzpapalotlcihuatl.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If i dicoverd a new Pterinochilus i would name it Pterinochilus olandiata

Olandia is the latin name on Öland, where i live

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I would name it after something weak or little to make the little guys feel special. I don't like naming things after powerful or well known people and things. Because it gives too much credit for the big well known figures and nothing for the little guys.

I stand on the side of the lower folk. :rolleyes:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Just note:
One can't name species after themself.
(Technicaly can, as it is not official rule and name would still be valid, but it is respected unwritten rule and breaking it is considered very unethical and wrong.)
It also woldn't make so much sense, as in zoology names are always used in full form containing author and year (eg. Brachypelma emilia (White, 1856)), so one's name is there anyway.

Have fun :)

PS: I would prefer name refering to some characteristic feature of animal. These are the best names IMO.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I'd go for the obvious choice of species name johnentwistle, à la Heteropoda davidbowie. C'mon I get it, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, but John Entwistle is the rock 'n' roll patron saint of spiders! Someone ought to mega immortalise him with a spider's name.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
But Pterinochilus is masculine and Olandia/Oelandia feminine. It would be Pterinochilus oelandicus in Latin.
There are several apropriate ways to form geographical name, allongside olandicus, olandiensis/olandensis and olandiae would also be correct in this situation. :)