I made a stupid mistake, did i doom my sling to death?

geomaxa

Arachnopeon
Hi i am a newbie and got my first T for my birthday in june, a tiny little Thrixopelma Ockerti, i googled everything i could to make sure i was doing everything correctly for my little guy, he fed nicely and has moulted once for me. All was going great till yesterday when i stupidly forgot i had him and sprayed fly spray (raid in the UK ) near where i keep him, hes very high up on a shelf away from my other pets and we didnt spray alot, just spot sprayed the flies here and there then left it. when i realised i checked him and he was still alive and is still seemingly ok now 24 hours later, did i get lucky and learn a lesson without losing my little guy or should i prepare myself for the worst. kicking myself for stupidly forgetting but will never make that mistake again.

Sinned

Arachnosquire
It probably depends on what chemical agent was in it. Some don't work (very well?) on T's ... others just kills them also. I do know some people here are more familiar with the subject.

Till then, move the little bugger out of that room...

geomaxa

Arachnopeon
It probably depends on what chemical agent was in it. Some don't work (very well?) on T's ... others just kills them also. I do know some people here are more familiar with the subject.

Till then, move the little bugger out of that room...
the can says it contains 1R-trans phenothrin and prallethrin, the top of his little critter keeper isnt fully exposed as info when i googled said they didnt like too much ventilation at the top but preferred side ventilation so i covered some of it up and spray wasnt sprayed above him so i'm hoping it was below him enough that he wont have gotten much in his little enclosure

the can says it contains 1R-trans phenothrin and prallethrin, the top of his little critter keeper isnt fully exposed as info when i googled said they didnt like too much ventilation at the top but preferred side ventilation so i covered some of it up and spray wasnt sprayed above him so i'm hoping it was below him enough that he wont have gotten much in his little enclosure
and will move him asap

My daughter wondered if we should clean out his little enclosure and put new substrate etc in just in case?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinned

Arachnosquire
/google, Prallethrin is found in some brands that also mention it works vs spiders, but I just don't know. (T's are spiders, but they are still in another ballpark at times. (ie, book lungs etc etc)

Till an expert shows up, I wouldn't take the risk. After all, it's just a bloody deli-cup and some dirt. The sling won't like you and don't expect a christmas card this year but it will get over it.

(( Do note, you *might* be doing this for nothing - as I'm not that familiar with the subject ... ))

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, one thing is certain: don't do such a thing again. It doesn't matter what's inside, is always wise to remain in a safe area.

Anyway, I know the 'Raid' brand - we have here in Italy that product as well - and by no means I would leave even the bottle in the same room where my inverts are.

Here is available even an 'against spiders only' product v :angelic:

https://www.raidonline.it/it-it/bug-id/spiders

geomaxa

Arachnopeon
/google, Prallethrin is found in some brands that also mention it works vs spiders, but I just don't know. (T's are spiders, but they are still in another ballpark at times. (ie, book lungs etc etc)

Till an expert shows up, I wouldn't take the risk. After all, it's just a bloody deli-cup and some dirt. The sling won't like you and don't expect a christmas card this year but it will get over it.

(( Do note, you *might* be doing this for nothing - as I'm not that familiar with the subject ... ))
okey dokey, thanks for the advice, will keep my fingers very tightly crossed

boina

Lady of the mites
Raid will kill spiders. Your only hope is that not much of the spray has actually reached the enclosure. Take it out of the room, ventilate the enclosure very well, and don't put it back in that room for at least a week. Unfortunately, the toxic effects will accumulate over time, so even if your sling seems fine now it may still die days or even weeks later.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
To be on the safe side I would put the spider in a temp enclosure, THOROUGHLY clean and wash it's current enclosure, and place fresh substrate in it. if there are any wood pieces for a hide and such, you can wash them then bake them at 200 degrees for around 20 minutes.

geomaxa

Arachnopeon
Raid will kill spiders. Your only hope is that not much of the spray has actually reached the enclosure. Take it out of the room, ventilate the enclosure very well, and don't put it back in that room for at least a week. Unfortunately, the toxic effects will accumulate over time, so even if your sling seems fine now it may still die days or even weeks later.
yeh thats what i was worried about, it was specifically the flying insects spray so i dont know if that affords me any luck :(

To be on the safe side I would put the spider in a temp enclosure, THOROUGHLY clean and wash it's current enclosure, and place fresh substrate in it. if there are any wood pieces for a hide and such, you can wash them then bake them at 200 degrees for around 20 minutes.
ok thanks will do that, he only has a crappy little plastic plant at the moment so cant bake it, would a hot wash suffice otherwise what could be a suitable alternative as hes semi arboreal so i was under the impression tree type things were best and i dont have anything here suitable to replace at the moment

Sana

Arachnoprince
I’m going to agree with the above suggestions for rehouse and scrub the current enclosure really really well. Unfortunately folks here are right. Pesticide/insecticide exposure doesn’t always show up immediately. Do you know approximately when you would expect a molt again? In your position I would feed the heck out of your sling and try to get through the next molt. Assuming that you get through that point your little one should be okay. That’s not a promise by any means since things can still go wrong but for me that would be the first milestone. I would also suggest a carnivorous plant for that room. They keep my flying insects from being an issue and they won’t hurt the spider as long as they aren’t in the enclosure. Putting a carnivorous plant into an enclosure would be certain disaster.

geomaxa

Arachnopeon
Well, one thing is certain: don't do such a thing again. It doesn't matter what's inside, is always wise to remain in a safe area.

Anyway, I know the 'Raid' brand - we have here in Italy that product as well - and by no means I would leave even the bottle in the same room where my inverts are.

Here is available even an 'against spiders only' product v :angelic:

https://www.raidonline.it/it-it/bug-id/spiders
its one i cant seem to find in other countries, its called fly and wasp killer specifically for flying insects, feeling so bad now and will not be using it again, need to find an alternative solution to flies that wont harm bees etc and of course my little T

geomaxa

Arachnopeon
I’m going to agree with the above suggestions for rehouse and scrub the current enclosure really really well. Unfortunately folks here are right. Pesticide/insecticide exposure doesn’t always show up immediately. Do you know approximately when you would expect a molt again? In your position I would feed the heck out of your sling and try to get through the next molt. Assuming that you get through that point your little one should be okay. That’s not a promise by any means since things can still go wrong but for me that would be the first milestone. I would also suggest a carnivorous plant for that room. They keep my flying insects from being an issue and they won’t hurt the spider as long as they aren’t in the enclosure. Putting a carnivorous plant into an enclosure would be certain disaster.
he moulted on 2nd july and has eaten quite well every 3 to 4 days since about 5 to 6 days after he moulted, i dont know how quickly they should moult again and carnivorous plants dont survive well i the uk, i have recently gotten a hardier pitcher plant but this particular one doesnt do well indoors, will look more in to that suggestion though, for now more ugly fly papers will have to do and a fly swat and dont worry would never put a carnivorous plant in with my little guy. still kicking myself over my own stupidity with the bug spray. Hes an awesome little spider and will be gutted if he dies because of me :(

Embrace your inner ninja ... https://www.invotis.com/shop/Artikel-Secret-Ninja-Fly-Swatter-ID-2074.html

or this... just because - you can add a laser sight and stuff, https://www.bugasalt.com/
thanks, we have a fly swat but the zapper gun haha is that available in the uk ?

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Probably ... but ymmv depending on how strict the law is. (Seeing UK/England/Britain/Commonwealth ;) has air-soft with less restriction then us ... I don't see why not.)

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
he moulted on 2nd july and has eaten quite well every 3 to 4 days since about 5 to 6 days after he moulted, i dont know how quickly they should moult again and carnivorous plants dont survive well i the uk, i have recently gotten a hardier pitcher plant but this particular one doesnt do well indoors, will look more in to that suggestion though, for now more ugly fly papers will have to do and a fly swat and dont worry would never put a carnivorous plant in with my little guy. still kicking myself over my own stupidity with the bug spray. Hes an awesome little spider and will be gutted if he dies because of me :(
I didn’t mean to imply that you would put a carnivorous plant in an enclosure. I just figured that it needed to be stated for someone down the line that reads this thread without an understanding of such a plant. Fly paper is indeed ugly but effective generally. I’m still in the learning curve of lovely insect digesting plants myself so now I know they aren’t friends with UK.

My understanding is the T. okerti are a relatively fast growing species so hopefully a molt will be a sooner thing. It sounds like everything is going well with it and your care. Stupid mistakes will happen. We all make them and assuming we learn from them we’re as good as we can get. I’ve got some amazing stories of dumb moments in my keeping history. PM me if you want a couple laughs.

geomaxa

Arachnopeon
I didn’t mean to imply that you would put a carnivorous plant in an enclosure. I just figured that it needed to be stated for someone down the line that reads this thread without an understanding of such a plant. Fly paper is indeed ugly but effective generally. I’m still in the learning curve of lovely insect digesting plants myself so now I know they aren’t friends with UK.

My understanding is the T. okerti are a relatively fast growing species so hopefully a molt will be a sooner thing. It sounds like everything is going well with it and your care. Stupid mistakes will happen. We all make them and assuming we learn from them we’re as good as we can get. I’ve got some amazing stories of dumb moments in my keeping history. PM me if you want a couple laughs.
after some of the things ive read on here from newbies i figured i better say i wouldnt put one in hehe not at all taking it the wrong way, i figured the lovely informative folk on here dont need to have to guess what we newbs are doing and have to repeatedly asked questions in order to get to the bottom of things to help us out so trying to be as translucent as possible ad happy to pm you but i dont know how,the only thing i found on here told me your inbox is full so i couldnt message you but if youre intereste heres a link to my little guys first feeding after his moult

Probably ... but ymmv depending on how strict the law is. (Seeing UK/England/Britain/Commonwealth ;) has air-soft with less restriction then then us ... I don't see why not.)
i found them on amazon, wow theyre a bit pricey hehehe £40 to £50 and upwards, fly papers and fly swat it is.

i actually read this thread earlier, still no one dumb enough to fly spray their own T :(

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Well, we all do stupid things occasionally, and a miss is as good as a mile when it comes to making a mistake. Fly spray sounds pretty horrible, but just leaving your tarantula's bin open accidentally could prove just as fatal, and we've all done that at one point or another for at least a minute or two with our backs turned. Give us an update. I too have a little ockerti whom I simply adore. She just shed and put on a lot of size and is a lot spunkier than she used to be!

geomaxa

Arachnopeon
Well, we all do stupid things occasionally, and a miss is as good as a mile when it comes to making a mistake. Fly spray sounds pretty horrible, but just leaving your tarantula's bin open accidentally could prove just as fatal, and we've all done that at one point or another for at least a minute or two with our backs turned. Give us an update. I too have a little ockerti whom I simply adore. She just shed and put on a lot of size and is a lot spunkier than she used to be!
they are feisty twitchy little things arent they, i love mine and feel terrible knowing its my fault, got all my fingers and toes crossed and will certainly keep this thread updated

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Well don't be miserable over it. Just live and learn. I had to give another member of my family the stink-eye for spraying fly spray around fruit flies near and intake for our central air conditioning. Telling him he could have wiped out my whole collection didn't seem to have the horrified response I would have liked! For that reason, I moved on to more personal threat options, which seem to have the desired effect.

geomaxa

Arachnopeon
Well don't be miserable over it. Just live and learn. I had to give another member of my family the stink-eye for spraying fly spray around fruit flies near and intake for our central air conditioning. Telling him he could have wiped out my whole collection didn't seem to have the horrified response I would have liked! For that reason, I moved on to more personal threat options, which seem to have the desired effect.
wow i think i would have flipped if someone else did it and didnt care, i'm horrified at my own stupidity right now and have definitely learned a lesson, just hope my little guy doesnt pay the price.