I have corrupted a child

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is Alyssa and my female A. avic. I have been harrassing her to hold a T for months now. :D Finally she decided she wanted to try and now has a little A. avic of her own by the name of Isabell. Her Isabell is a juvinile but I believe her to be female. We shall soon see as she is just about to molt. With any luck Alyssa will have a T for a long time to come. The only decisioin now is what next?

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very cute little pose your avic is doing.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
YAY! Way to go :D

I started early with mine, he's been around reptiles and inverts since he was born, he loves them. Although he's not allowed to hold the T's. He does however hold the ball pythons, he really likes those.
Not to mention he's been munched on by a 4' iguana that was just trying to get the cracker out of his hand, lol.

~Crystal Light

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Crystal.

How old is your little one? Alyssa is 9 and has handled most of my animals but we stick to the more docile Ts for sure. Especially being new to them and all. She has handled my iguanas, red tail boas, crested geckos, bearded dragons, ackies, corn snakes, and who know what else.

Poor girl was pretty much doomed to be around animals with me in the house.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My son will be 3 this month.

Here's a pic of him last year. Excuse the mess, this was the old pet room, and my Sugar Gliders made a complete mess of it. We eventually had to tear out the carpet and repaint the walls, lol.

~Crystal

Attachments

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well you could always hang plastic T's from their crib ...LOL
it's really cool your kids like your hobby, but i cant imagine how bad two spider addicts in the same house would be...you'd have to breed just to support your own hobby LOL {D

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's really cool. Don't worry about the mess {D I have to crop the mess out of my pics. :D

You'r son will be a critter kid too and that's just awesome. :cool:

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's another.
LoL, I actually only cropped them b/c they wouldnt fit at the size they were at :(

~Crystal

Attachments

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wasn't talking about cropping yours {D {D

I just mean't mine but those are great pics. I really like seeing children being introduced to animals. Especially animals that inspire fear in a lot of people. I know it's idealistic but maybe someday people won't wig out every time they see a snake or T.

Keep those neat pics coming. Maybe this can be a "Kids with animals" thread.

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Corrupting the children is a WONDERFUL feeling.. and now I dont feel so bad about letting mine handle the t's as well. He is very aware they can bite him and that it will most likely hurt, but he handles them with care and skill and the fearlessness that only a child can really have.

Attachments

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey stranger, haven't seen you around in a while.

I have to agree with you it is very exciting to get a child interested and educated (corrupted :D ) in something exotic. Alyssa knows they "may" bite but it's unlikely if she is gentle and moves slowly. I also take measures to insure the dogs don't come running in or a sudden gust of air from the ceiling fan startle the T. So far she has only handled a couple of avics but I imagine with time she will become interested in some of my others & perhaps even a small collection of her own.

I am proud to say she can define the difference between insects & arachnids better than most adults not in the hobby. It was only a few weeks ago that she thought they shot webs at you & sucked your blood! :eek: Usually while you sleep according to her. :eek: :eek:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
always great to see another kid in the hobby. Shelby is 9 also, and has been doing educational presentations with me to gradeschool kids for about 2 years.
She's called the 'spider girl' at school, which annoys her!

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Be careful with the iguanas, my former "tame" one bit my right ear in half one fine day with no provocation.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looks more like the sign of the devil. Your A.avic is possessed!

Well done with the corruption. My own kids (5 and 8) are thouroughly corrupted, although they are yet to directly handle any of my T's. It's always good to hear them correct adults about the differences and commonalities of spiders and tarantulas.

tarantula666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've corrupted 2 kids already , one is 3 years old the other is almost 2
she can't speak yet but whenever she's visiting with her parents
she points to the enclosures and say's somthing that sounds like spin ( dutch for spider) meaning she wants to see them upclose :D
the 3 year old boy is also facinated by my T's and wants one as a pet but his parents won't let him .............. yet :D ;P

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't corrupted any kids, but i did corrupt my cat. she always jumps up on my desk/dresser and peaks in at my Ts. my T.Blondi acually struck at the glass at my cat....of course my cat took off running throughout the house. but that doesn't stop her from checking out the Ts every now and then.

-Mattyb

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
xBurntBytheSunx said:
is that avic giving a threat display? or am i mistaken
I cant say I have ever seen an Avic rais it's legs up ina defense posture. Then tend to rais the abdoems up rather than there legs and shoot poop in ya face

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like that behaviour that I see mine do that I liken to them using their legs like a red tip cane navigation.

xBurntBytheSunx said:
is that avic giving a threat display? or am i mistaken