How many of your T's have died?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I lost one my first few weeks, a g. pulchripes sling I got with a few other T's. haven't lost anyone since then, here's to hoping that continues!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When I first got into Ts, I lost my entire collection of several hundred specimens when we got snowed in and lost power for two weeks ): It was the worst experience... I called everyone I knew, trying to find someone to take them in... and no one would ):

Since I started collecting again about three years ago, I have had three deaths - A tiny P. lugardi sling who failed to thrive (didn't want to eat), my favourite P. choedatus girl got stuck in a molt, and just recently one of my 2i OBT slings that I bred was flipped over as if to molt (none of the others in the sac have flipped, the timing was super strange) and just never moved again.

Unfortunately, it can be impossible to explain the reason why we lose some Ts and that is the hardest part.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
When I first got into Ts, I lost my entire collection of several hundred specimens when we got snowed in and lost power for two weeks ): It was the worst experience... I called everyone I knew, trying to find someone to take them in... and no one would ):

Since I started collecting again about three years ago, I have had three deaths - A tiny P. lugardi sling who failed to thrive (didn't want to eat), my favourite P. choedatus girl got stuck in a molt, and just recently one of my 2i OBT slings that I bred was flipped over as if to molt (none of the others in the sac have flipped, the timing was super strange) and just never moved again.

Unfortunately, it can be impossible to explain the reason why we lose some Ts and that is the hardest part.
That is...awful. nobody taking them in...I have no words. :(

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Almost three years into keeping, I lost two. An A.metallica sling that just didn't keep up like its sibling, and an E.sp.Red sling, exactly the same. Both didn't eat or web. I guess I got the unlucky ones. I felt stupid for losing these, like, maybe if I had done something different, I would've kept them alive. Reason says I was just unlucky, feeling says I didn't take good care enough.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
The only tarantula I have had die so far is a WC MM A. hentzi.
I have also had two 2 instar scorplings drown in their water cap, though. They now have a much more shallow water cap (filled it with subtrate). Those are the only losses I have had.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is...awful. nobody taking them in...I have no words. :(
It was absolutely one of the wordt ways to "find out who your friends are." My best friend wanted to take them in, and her boyfriend said if she did, he would kill them all and kick her out. We both cried a lot as my collection dwindled. When I lost my first T that I had had since I was 12, I sort of became numb to the rest while it was happening. Afterwards, though, it hit me really hard and I have never forgotten any of their little faces.

Almost three years into keeping, I lost two. An A.metallica sling that just didn't keep up like its sibling, and an E.sp.Red sling, exactly the same. Both didn't eat or web. I guess I got the unlucky ones. I felt stupid for losing these, like, maybe if I had done something different, I would've kept them alive. Reason says I was just unlucky, feeling says I didn't take good care enough.
Feelings are so mean to us sometimes ):

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My best friend wanted to take them in, and her boyfriend said if she did, he would kill them all and kick her out.
I hope they are not still together. You don't want to know what I think about that kind of individual.

Sorry to hear about your collection. I would have taken them in no questions asked if you were near me. But I am in the same situation as you. Not a single person I know could I rely on if I was really in trouble and needed to temporarily move them.

I prefer animals to people. :meh:

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Oh boy, if slings from breeding counts - than it's well over 500 all in all, if not, about 20 or so(few of them without apparent reason, few of them on power outage, mature males of old age)

louise f

Arachnoangel
It was absolutely one of the wordt ways to "find out who your friends are." My best friend wanted to take them in, and her boyfriend said if she did, he would kill them all and kick her out. We both cried a lot as my collection dwindled. When I lost my first T that I had had since I was 12, I sort of became numb to the rest while it was happening. Afterwards, though, it hit me really hard and I have never forgotten any of their little faces.
This is awful. That nearly made me cry. Really sad indeed. :( I would have taken them in any time if you lived near me. <3
I consider myself very lucky i got the best friends near me who also have lots of animals including T`s. I know where to get help if I`m in trouble someday.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Haha wow I was only 14 years old when this thread was first started.

In the past 2 or so years that I've been re-keeping, I've lost four.

Adult female C. (or is it Davus now?) fasciatum: One of those crappy mystery deaths. It started when she suddenly began to refuse food. Then over the next several weeks she gradually kept growing more and more lethargic until she stopped moving altogether and died. Was definitely a young female, no visible parasites, healthy plump abdomen, proper husbandry, etc.

C. marshalli older sling: I found it dead sticking partially up out of its burrow and there were two loose crickets wandering around from the previous 2 weeks' feedings. From my records it shouldn't have been due for a molt yet but I wonder if it tried to molt early and was killed by the crickets. With the burrowing it was hard to see what it was up to most of the time and I hadn't seen those leftover crickets until then either because of the tunnels or I would have removed them. So that one hit me pretty hard, wondering if it was my fault. I still have its siblings M1 and M3 around and they're doing good.

H. incei gold sling: Very tiny sling, just found it randomly dead one day.

B. vagans sling: See above

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is awful. That nearly made me cry. Really sad indeed. :( I would have taken them in any time if you lived near me. <3
I consider myself very lucky i got the best friends near me who also have lots of animals including T`s. I know where to get help if I`m in trouble someday.
Thank you <3