How many of your T's have died?

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have been collecting T's for about 9 months, in the past month and a half I have had four deaths. My c.paganus, h.lividium and a.versi sling died for no reason and today my girlfriend accidentally killed my B. emilia. I take incredablly good care of my pets so this is getting aggrevating. Well I was just curious to know how many T's have died in others collections. Thanks for the input

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am sorry for your loss.

I have lost recently 1 H. maculata sling, bout 1/2, 1 B. vagans, and a few months ago a A. clarkii (sp?) that I won at a show, it was WC from Dallas Texas...and I have no idea why it just up and died.

But anyway, dont feel too bad, it happens to the best of us. And if it hasnt, its pure luck.

~Crystal

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mind if I don't count them up? I hate the losses, but I see them as part of nature and part of learning. I almost always get slings, tiny slings mostly.
Some deaths are inexplicable, but I have had quite a number where it was obvious afterwards what I had done wrong. (Escapes! Argh! My biggest weakness. I now know several things about how young tarantulas can fit through this or push the weight of that off.)

The only good news is that deaths due to me are decreasing pretty rapidly. :rolleyes: :eek:

Is there anyone who hasn't had some T deaths?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One adult 'Cobald redump' died of ..natural causes, as far as I could see. Hadn't seen her outside of her flowerpot for two days, so looked inside and found her all dead..no obvious injury, no wite goo, no legs curled underneath her body..siigh.

Then one C.huahini-sling..kept it the same as my four other slings I got around the same time..then one unknown day it stopped coming out of its subterranean tunnels. Found it upside down in a tunnel, weeks later, when I searched :/

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
2 died as far as i know...one itty-bitty a.bicolor (it was DOA)didn't even get to see it crawl :( , the other was a chilean copper i bought at a petshop, when i got home i noticed hooks and boxing gloves wich told me mature male. just knew the boy wouldn't last a year and posted a question about it here. and thank goodness i found somebody (MizM :D ) that had a mature female and knew exactly what to do with my dilema (and my boy). i got him to her as soon as i could (well the post office took as long as it could :( ), and she got them two together just in time before his time ran out...wich it sadly did the other day :( . but at least he got to know a girl (and MizM...lucky little t that he was) and hopefully his legacy will go on.
dianne
since most of my specks are digging into the ground i'd have to dig them up to know if they died... but i don't want to stress them.

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Luckily I haven't had any deaths yet. And hopefully I won't have any. But slings seem pretty delicate. So to have 100% success with them would be impossible I think. There are bound to be some complications eventually.

Last edited:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Luckily I've only had one die so far. That one was an A. avicularia sling that didn't do to well from the beginning. Went through one molt and lost a leg. With the next molt I guess he decided he was tired of living.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
i've had two so far: an A. genic 4 days after buying it from a petstore, ,no known cause, and a N. carapoensis, that i inadvertedly killed, i knocked its container ofer, and it persighed duirng the ensuing collision with the floor. :( this was yesterday...:(

Mori

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry for you loss...we all can relate. I've lost an H. maculata from a horrific molt...that one hurt, I tried everything to save her. An A. avicularia that was a rescue from a pet store that treated that poor little thing HORRIBLY, and a A. versicolor very recently...the versi's I've heard from other enthusiasts are tough to get trough the 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch size. Still don't know what caused it. :(

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"knock on wood" none. but i only have 6 and i have only been keeping since feb. of this year. 1 adult rosie (a rescue) no food or water for 4 months at least, 1 juv. a. versi, 1 juv. b.smithi., 3 slings a l. para., a b. smithi., and a b. auratum. the T gods have been kind so far. maybe because of the rescue.

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well its good to know that I am not the only one, I suppose I will get over it and keep on collecting.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'd hate to say...but only 1 from poor T keeping. I had an A avic when I first started. I kept the poor thing positively wet with 100% humidity, and of course it died. I also closed a sling in a lid and cut it in half :(
The rest have been the results of bad molts, old males dying or being eaten, or unknown causes. The most upsetting for me were an A purpurea sling, a T elenae sling, and a P ornata. He molted mature, and was dead a couple days later.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
well the first T I ever got died during his first molt only 2 weeks after i got it wich was only 2 months ago. and i was sad and angry cause i thought i did something wrong but as far as i know i did everything i could and went out and bought 4 more in the next couple of days and all of them are doing great....got to love em...

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive been keepign Ts 13-14 years i think now and still have things die on me now and then for no apparent reason especially with lings its seem its jsut a fact of life that there will be some motality rate associated with each emergence

Catherine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had five deaths the past year.
Three avic slings, for reasons unknown
One B. albopilosum sling due to a bad molt
And one C fimbriatus male, old age

Pajak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
2:
Cambridgei male - natural reason - old age
Smithi - had escaped and fallen from the container

whitelilylight

Arachnopeon
Only one died out of all my avicularia collection and it's due to temperature. All my avicularia survived the night except one. I completely forgot to turn on my heater for the night so that they can thrive better. And god, temps go as low as 40 degrees without the heater to insure them. I passed out without turning on the heater. And my A. sp Peru purple had done and given me a death curl. No movement in sight. Heartbroken, but another way for me to learn in the book. :(

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I've been collecting since January 2015, have had 15 tarantulas so far, and 2 have died. I got a Nhandu chromatus sling from my aunt, she had ordered it from Jamie's Tarantulas and as soon as it arrived at her house, my cousin brought it to me. The sling was very healthy and fat, but wouldn't eat. I thought it was just in premolt, but over the course of two weeks it's huge abdomen had shrunk so much, it was very unexpected and I've never seen a T's abdomen shrink so fast. Then one day it started curling, and the next day, it died :(

The next one who died was my tiny 1/2 inch OBT sling. It had always been a very slow grower compared to what I had heard about OBT growth rate, but I wasn't worried. Then one day it was molting, and got stuck. :/ I am 99% positive I had done nothing wrong, I mean this is an OBT we're talking about, their care isn't rocket science!

I just try and move on fast from the deaths, and continue collecting and raising as usual.

(Just noticed the date on the thread, yikes! Sorry for not realizing x.x)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I've been collecting since January 2015, have had 15 tarantulas so far, and 2 have died. I got a Nhandu chromatus sling from my aunt, she had ordered it from Jamie's Tarantulas and as soon as it arrived at her house, my cousin brought it to me. The sling was very healthy and fat, but wouldn't eat. I thought it was just in premolt, but over the course of two weeks it's huge abdomen had shrunk so much, it was very unexpected and I've never seen a T's abdomen shrink so fast. Then one day it started curling, and the next day, it died :(

The next one who died was my tiny 1/2 inch OBT sling. It had always been a very slow grower compared to what I had heard about OBT growth rate, but I wasn't worried. Then one day it was molting, and got stuck. :/ I am 99% positive I had done nothing wrong, I mean this is an OBT we're talking about, their care isn't rocket science!

I just try and move on fast from the deaths, and continue collecting and raising as usual.

(Just noticed the date on the thread, yikes! Sorry for not realizing x.x)
All good, the thread is still relevant regardless of age :D My personal experience in deaths is not much. Haven't had any deaths so far, but that can be attributed to the fact that all my adults are "young" adult Grammostolas and Brachys. The others are all slings or juvies.