How large do California Scolopendra get

Nathan Zhang

Arachnopeon
I currently live in California and I was thinking about collecting scolopendra polymorpha centipedes. I heard that California has different colored polymorphas that are smaller than ones from arizona or texas. Does anyone know how big scolopendra polymorpha get in California? Where can you find many big polymorphas?

Nathan Zhang

Arachnopeon
So what is Scolopendra Polymorpha's max size? and where are the largest polymorpha?
How easy are Polymorphas to breed?
I was thinking we can breed some colorful California polymorphas and some larger polymorphas from down south in order to get large and colorful ones.

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
I have a 4 inch one right now. The largest ones I believe can be found in Texas and New Mexico maybe, but there are probably other states. I’ve heard of 7 inch ones existing. I’ve never bred them before , but breeding centipedes can be tricky because when mother gets disturbed she may eat the eggs.

Ran

Arachnoknight
6C36D8CC-58BE-45C1-AE8B-4609FCB46A4D.jpeg I have 2 polys from Texas...both are between 6-7”BL. Definitely the largest species of poly I have come across. Hardy and long lived as I’ve had these for a few years now. The container is a 6” round deli for size reference.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Texas polys are among the largest, and Arizona polys are pretty big too. California polys can range from 5-6 inches depending on morph. San Jose polys are smaller than others and may only reach 4-5" whereas some of the ones from further south get a bit larger.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Wait there is polymorpha near San Francisco?
Where would you find them
California has polys everywhere except the far northern areas of the state.
Polys are most easily found under loose boards, stones, or dead logs/cacti. Sometimes they go wandering around at night or during a rain, but rock flipping is probably easiest.

Nathan Zhang

Arachnopeon
soo where are they, there is no cactus in the bay area and flipping over rocks doesn't really yield much

JDS123

Arachnosquire
I found one yesterday in Palmdale Lancaster area. If you go around big dirt fields with rocks and random boards, stuff like that, close to housing. Or, just rocks and boards in the mountains or desert around Mojave and kern county. Mine was tiny like an maybe two inches. It’s tough, guy showed me the area, he saw 5 last week and I only saw one. Down in the valleys like Bakersfield is tougher because of farms and city pesticides. Desert and mountains, hillsides are better.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Texas polys are among the largest, and Arizona polys are pretty big too. California polys can range from 5-6 inches depending on morph. San Jose polys are smaller than others and may only reach 4-5" whereas some of the ones from further south get a bit larger.
I swear I found a polymorpha when I lived in Moriarty, New Mexico that was easily 7-8" with terminals. I was digging up a huge weed that grew in the monsoon season... the rest I've found were only 4-5".

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
If it included terminals, then it was big, but not remarkable. Generally, body length is the way pedes are measured.

Nathan Zhang

Arachnopeon
aite so not just in California but a 6" body length would be big for a scolopendra polymorpha anywhere
anyway, which specific locations in Northern California have Polymorphas,
can two different locations breed?

Nathan Zhang

Arachnopeon
cool, so we can make an optimal strain that combines the size of the texas and arizonas pede size and the southern califonia's pedes coloration?
And 6" is a pretty big size for a polymorpha in both california and the USA

Last edited:

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
cool, so we can make an optimal strain that combines the size of the texas and arizonas pede size and the southern califonia's pedes coloration?
Most hobbyists discourage crossbreeding even between morphs, but yes, it is technically possible to crossbreed them.
Crossbreeding centipedes is not commonly done, though the colorforms of heros, colorforms of E. trigonopodus, and some Rhysida have been mixed.
Centipedes are highly cannibalistic and attempting to breed two members of the same species from so far away might just result in the larger 'pede attacking the smaller one. Besides, it is not guaranteed that any colors will hold and you might just end up with a 'pede the size of a California poly with the color of a Arizona poly.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
If it can’t and does not happen in nature then don’t do it.

Celestus

Arachnopeon
Alright, then I won't do it, however, where in Northern California can you find Polymorphas
Others who responded to your comment prior to mine had good advice. Since you live in SF, the closest area I have found S. polymorpha to you is Monte Bello Open Space Preserve. Collect at your own risk; and I am not talking about envenomations.