How can I tell if my dictators are male or female?

Amber Mitchell

Arachnopeon
220A3BF0-095F-415E-935D-7FA07E62A1B0.jpeg 895BB2A6-08A0-4677-817C-6EF46A001627.jpeg 4961CF92-EA34-4CF0-8147-99E35B83B32C.jpeg I have 2 new dictators that my son got and we have no clue if they are male or female! One is smaller with tan on the sides and the other is a tad larger with a greyish color down the sides. Any clues how to know the difference? I will try to get a pic when they start to stir around tonight.

Last edited:

Amber Mitchell

Arachnopeon
Pics of the pectines would help.
Absolutely! One of them was up against the glass (smaller with tan sides) and I ran to grab my phone to take a picture, but by the time I got back downstairs, it had moved. I can tell you that they were not long enough to go past the sides. But they weren’t short, either. From what I am gathering, the longer ones that don’t go over the sides are female? I’m not familiar with how you would handle them, yet. Is there a particular way I can move them so I can see their underside? Sorry my inexperience is showing! I’m trying to research all I can. These aren’t normal around here. ☺

**EDIT**
I just looked at the thread with the example pics again. Likely that one is a boy. ‍♀ I’ll get the hang of things. Haha!

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Absolutely! One of them was up against the glass (smaller with tan sides) and I ran to grab my phone to take a picture, but by the time I got back downstairs, it had moved. I can tell you that they were not long enough to go past the sides. But they weren’t short, either. From what I am gathering, the longer ones that don’t go over the sides are female? I’m not familiar with how you would handle them, yet. Is there a particular way I can move them so I can see their underside? Sorry my inexperience is showing! I’m trying to research all I can. These aren’t normal around here. ☺
You can scoot them into a clear plastic container and take a picture from the bottom. That or just wait until they go up against the side again. I admit I don't know as much about the pectine length and sexing Scorpionidae (I focus on Buthidae), but I know that you can do a count of the pectines and get the gender that way.

No worries on inexperience, we all have to start somewhere! And it's good that you're coming here and asking questions. You've got them set up in what looks like a good enclosure, so you've definitely been reading up on them and are trying to make them happy.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are Pandinus imperator, very similar to dictator but care is the same. Way too many dealers are selling imperator as dictator for some reason. Since those are imperator instead of dictator, they should be much easier to sex out than dictator is but yes you need too look at the pectines underneath.

Amber Mitchell

Arachnopeon
5CDE1524-341D-4C43-B297-68267F3A6DDA.jpeg 0F554EE2-6BD3-4B38-A805-1DD2766A659E.jpeg 499065E0-6322-4496-B724-6CC123BB130E.jpeg 8624D685-2A78-48B0-B92E-C259D030ED90.jpeg 7C9378A0-F006-41D8-81E8-1A925309CD31.jpeg View attachment 293536 View attachment 293535 View attachment 293534 View attachment 293533
Those are Pandinus imperator, very similar to dictator but care is the same. Way too many dealers are selling imperator as dictator for some reason. Since those are imperator instead of dictator, they should be much easier to sex out than dictator is but yes you need too look at the pectines underneath.
Really?! How can you tell? I have more pics to see what they are. I’m very interested!

Crom

Arachnosquire
I second that they are imperator. One way of knowing is that you will never find true Pandinopsis (Pandinus) dictator in Petco or from an online retailer like LLL, Underground Reptiles, etc., only a private breeder. They are far less common. These retailers and pet stores are selling imperator that have falsely been labeled as dictator. The best physical way to tell is that dictators have granulation across thier body segments and imperator lack it. Several other identifying features

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I second that they are imperator. One way of knowing is that you will never find true Pandinopsis (Pandinus) dictator in Petco or from an online retailer like LLL, Underground Reptiles, etc., only a private breeder. They are far less common. These retailers and pet stores are selling imperator that have falsely been labeled as dictator. The best physical way to tell is that dictators have granulation across thier body segments and imperator lack it. Several other identifying features
#1 is Female #2 is Male and yes they are both Emperors.

Amber Mitchell

Arachnopeon
73D5EF9A-DAFF-40B5-BBA7-5D35BFCEB97C.jpeg AD86B0B8-593D-4D01-AF6B-0E2421C3EE8F.jpeg You all have been so extremely helpful! I really appreciate you guys! I took another pic of her because she seems bigger than even a week ago!! They are still very chill with each other. She likes to lay on top of him. Since they are opposite sex, it’s pretty much a guarantee she’s gravid and not just fat?? I know it’s hard to see, but she is on top of him. The tank has a build up around it that I can’t get off and it makes for bad pics. She’s right in line with it.