How aggressive is this thai tiger tarantula i purchased....

Since I was 5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought this well knowing it was aggressive, and im really not that concerned, but the people at the pet store who sell me my Ts wouldnt take this one out of the tank when i said i wanted it. they said its aggressive and really not worth the risk of it getting out and said it would be easier to give me the tank...which theyve done before but this wasnt a Kritter keeper....this was a glass tank that was a 2.5 gallon. It also looks evil....really evil....but damn is it pretty

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
most likely just as agresive if not more than every other haploplema species ex: haploploma lividum are very mean and not well tempered. though i cant speak ffor them all as some are more docile than others, id just try n be careful around it and not get bit...

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you know what species it is? If it is a Halpopelma, they are usually quite aggressive and quite fast. Trust me, I had to pack two Halpopelmas tonight! If I'd had the opportunity, I think I would have saved myself the stress and given away the tanks too if I could have. So if that is what it is, yes, it's something to be very cautious with, particularly depending upon you experience with aggressive/defensive T's.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Since I was 5 said:
I bought this well knowing it was aggressive, and im really not that concerned, but the people at the pet store who sell me my Ts wouldnt take this one out of the tank when i said i wanted it. they said its aggressive and really not worth the risk of it getting out and said it would be easier to give me the tank...which theyve done before but this wasnt a Kritter keeper....this was a glass tank that was a 2.5 gallon. It also looks evil....really evil....but damn is it pretty
Well, putting it a bit in perspective - when I bought my second rosea the store guys wouldn't dare taking it out because they claimed it was mean and would throw tantrums... it was just a normal sweet rosea that followed my lead well when nugded. So I think that aggression also just as much depends on interpretation. Though obviously if it's from a genus with more well known aggro tendancies one should start really slow and try to protect oneself as nessessary. I'd say go in expecting the worst (I saw a lividum on the top end of a prodding stick not long ago) and work from there and hopefully you'll find out just how much your individual tollerates. Just be careful.

How large is it and what species (scientific name)? Did they wanna give you the tank for free or did they wanna sell it with the spider? Because it might just have been a trick to get a tank sold too.

Last edited:

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Did they wanna give you the tank for free or did they wanna sell it with the spider? Because it might just have been a trick to get a tank sold too.
LMAO! I should do that!

Since I was 5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Well, putting it a bit in perspective - when I bought my second rosea the store guys wouldn't dare taking it out because they claimed it was mean and would throw tantrums... it was just a normal sweet rosea that followed my lead well when nugded. So I think that aggression also just as much depends on interpretation. Though obviously if it's from a genus with more well known aggro tendancies one should start really slow and try to protect oneself as nessessary. I'd say go in expecting the worst (I saw a lividum on the top end of a prodding stick not long ago) and work from there and hopefully you'll find out just how much your individual tollerates. Just be careful.

How large is it and what species (scientific name)? Did they wanna give you the tank for free or did they wanna sell it with the spider? Because it might just have been a trick to get a tank sold too.
they normally give me the K.K.s there in for free, and yes, this glass tank was given for free

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since I was 5 said:
... It's just a spider. :? It might be a bit fast and defensive, but at least it not a grizzly or a psycho killer alien.... something. Lure/poke it out and capture it with a delicup or something. It seems like everyone these days, is confusing "cautious" for "afraid". :D Handle spiders with respect, not fear.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tai tiger? So i am guessing a P. irminia? Here is a pic of one from Botar's site to see if its the one. http://botarby8s.com/images/spiders/pirminia2.jpg If that is it, it is an arboreal and it is defensive, which means that it will be fast and willing to bite for defense. Have respect for its space and be careful.

Since I was 5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Update....sorta

Well i decided to finally touch the little bugger...with a dollar bill just to see how she reacts to being touched, and i barley tapped it and BOOM, she struck. I couldnt beleive how awsome it looked in a threat display tho, i dont intend to ever bother it again out side of cleaning the cage from this point foward....wow....that was kinda scary

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Snipes said:
Tai tiger? So i am guessing a P. irminia? Here is a pic of one from Botar's site to see if its the one. http://botarby8s.com/images/spiders/pirminia2.jpg If that is it, it is an arboreal and it is defensive, which means that it will be fast and willing to bite for defense. Have respect for its space and be careful.
Psalmopoeus irminia is a new world species. "Tai" or "Thai" doesn't sound very new world'ish to me. :rolleyes:

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thai Tiger is Haplopelma albostriatum...and it will take your finger off if you get close to it!:liar:

Chris

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Steffen said:
... It's just a spider. :? It might be a bit fast and defensive, but at least it not a grizzly or a psycho killer alien.... something.
Haven't played with too many Haplopelmas, I take it? ;P

Since I was 5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Species update

after extensive looking thru pictures i have come to realize i own a 'Haplopelma schmidti" and its very very aggressive...learn quick in this spider world lol

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thoth said:
Hm nah not that many. Only keep about 10 Haplopelma at the moment + about 20 other asians.

I have a huge H. minax. When I disturb her at night when she is out, she WILL NOT run down into her hole. She attacks the glass instantly, by the sound of a wind. Once she kept hitting the glass 30 min after I even left the room! ...even she can not resist the power of tupperware. :D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thoth said:
He's right though - whilst certainly defensive for a spider, it isn't a killer bear with rabies. :)

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Lopez said:
He's right though - whilst certainly defensive for a spider, it isn't a killer bear with rabies. :)
Unless it's a *really small* killer bear with rabies and 8 legs.

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
moricollins said:
Unless it's a *really small* killer bear with rabies and 8 legs.
Sounds exactly like a description of my male gerbil... ;P

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Just joking before, actually my experience is that they would rather run into their burrows, maybe mine are cowards. The danger is when you corner them things get tricky but if you have your polypropylene defensive containment unit (aka deli cup) ready and are careful you should be okay.

Killer bear with rabies is nothing compared to the killer rabbit with giant fangs. :}

Though with my defensive ts if I have to move them I feed them a few crickets first, a full t is a happy t (or at least slightly slower and a little less defensive than a hungry one)

ajlauer1984

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the local petco and one of my other private dealers( about 60miles north of me- and i bought one of these from him as an "UNKNOWN" species) both use of the same suppliers and well petco is selling them as TRUE ZEBRA(a. seemani) and well lets just say they arent a gentle or docile species in anyway. I got bit 3times in a matter of about 1sec before i could even react it was done and overwith.. just be very carefull when cleaning they will fly up what ever you are using to get in the cage with this is how the one i had got me... and i had no reaction to the bites except stinging for a couple of and then 2days afterwords it looked like i had a sunburn about the size of a quarter the skin peeled off just like a sunburn would.. definately not the bite that a cobalt(same genus as thai tiger/zebra) is reported to have.... anyways in general just be a little more cautious with it...

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Steffen said:
Psalmopoeus irminia is a new world species. "Tai" or "Thai" doesn't sound very new world'ish to me. :rolleyes:
Since when do petstores correctly label the tarantulas? ;) lol