How’s My Albopilosum Enclosure?

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
I'd place the water dish behind the hide, if she starts to expand and excavate her burrow and the dish is in front then it'll instantly be covered with substrate
Good idea! I’ll do that. Thanks! I had that in my notes & got so excited setting it up, I completely forgot.

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
I'd place the water dish behind the hide, if she starts to expand and excavate her burrow and the dish is in front then it'll instantly be covered with substrate
Ahhh, thank you! I added this to my notes at some point and got so excited setting up everything I completely forgot. Thank you for the reminder!

~ Whoops. I replied twice. My bad!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
They find the water dish to put the substrate in no matter where it is. :p My H. chilensis carries the dirt from its burrow across his whole enclosure to dispose it right into the water dish. Just today I saw him doing it... and I have proof!

Caught in the act.jpg

To his defence, I have to say that for once he deposited the dirt right beside the water dish, not in it, but he carried it through the whole enclosure. So, my point still stands. :rofl:

On a more serious note, I wouldn't place the water dish above where your T decides to burrow. So, if it decides to extend its burrow under and to the backside of its hide I would place the water dish somewhere else, just in case, there'll be a cave-in.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Velcro or a heavy book would work to secure the lid. I like to use small bulldog clips (also called binder or foldback clips). They are dirt cheap and easy.

Enjoy your new t! I have 3 x 1.5in (or so) albo's, all from the same sac. They are all different behaviour wise and one is a real character. They are definitely favourites of mine. I'm sure you'll love yours!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Only saw first pic...MORE sub, cmon! terrestrials 1.5x DLS from sub to lid.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They find the water dish to put the substrate in no matter where it is. :p My H. chilensis carries the dirt from its burrow across his whole enclosure to dispose it right into the water dish. Just today I saw him doing it... and I have proof!

View attachment 336277

To his defence, I have to say that for once he deposited the dirt right beside the water dish, not in it, but he carried it through the whole enclosure. So, my point still stands. :rofl:

On a more serious note, I wouldn't place the water dish above where your T decides to burrow. So, if it decides to extend its burrow under and to the backside of its hide I would place the water dish somewhere else, just in case, there'll be a cave-in.

This is a photoshopped image. It's obvious..how? Because H. chilensis NEVER EVER does anything wrong!!!! Shame on you Thekla

See below for an ANGEL on EARTH

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would put another row of holes closer to the substrate line. It looks good.

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
My daughter plays her trumpet in the same room as her T. So far, he's good. lol
This makes me feel so much better about my toddlers being loud. :rofl: But then again maybe she’s really good and they just love hearing her play lol.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thank you! How many would you put along the bottom? (5-6?) And would you do so on the width sides or the length sides?
Personally, I place holes on all four sides of all my enclosures. I would space those holes about two inches apart on that enclosure. No closer than that.

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
Personally, I place holes on all four sides of all my enclosures. I would space those holes about two inches apart on that enclosure. No closer than that.
9009DC54-1E84-4126-8B7B-1FE1FAD06567.jpeg

This is at 2” apart. I’m gonna add a tad more sub when I put everything back in. (Ima wait until my kids are good and asleep before I go out to the garage and finish the holes). But I just marked them out with dry erase marker. Ima add a little more sub so I left more of a gap to compensate the addition. So once I put everything back in, it’ll be more on the sub level than how it looks right now. I’ll add some on the width sides as well (hadn’t drawn those on yet). Thank you so much for your advice & help! Forgot to add, I’m gonna add 6 holes directly in the middle of the enclosure on the lid. Just in two rows of 3.

s dave

Arachnopeon
Looks really good! mDesign box? I love them and use them stacked as my "lock." If it is, I usually also just pop a small hole 2/3 of the way down from the hinge on the lid and side and wire it shut. I have a bunch of thin cat5 phone wire laying around but bread/garbage twist ties, pipe cleaners, or any other thin wire does the trick.

Cheers and excellent work

Also, it's T. albopilosus now, after the latest noun-gender correction.
Thanks for the correction, I'll have to change my label for my girl. How in the world to you know when to re-gender the name?

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
312C4F0F-5FBC-460E-A730-2F19DB634ED4.jpeg
And this is the Velcro added. I’ve got it cut to sit on the edges of the enclosure. It’s strong enough where a T can’t push it open but not so strong I’d have to rattle the whole enclosure to open the lid lol.

* I’ve still got to take everything out & finish adding the ventilation holes. I even tried to see if my toddlers could open it up and they couldn’t so it at least passed that test lol. (No worries though, the T will be in a locked room... for the protection of, well, mostly the T lol).

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Thanks for the correction, I'll have to change my label for my girl. How in the world to you know when to re-gender the name?
That is far above my level of knowledge or involvement, though I'm sure some of the experts here could speak to the details. All that I can claim to know is that it was very recently updated in the world spider catalog and that it was a subject of much discussion. I'm no linguist, nor am I a biologist or researcher of any kind, but it has to do with Latin noun ending rules if I'm understanding it correctly.