How’s My Albopilosum Enclosure?

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone!

I finally found and purchased a 3-4” Tliltocatl albopilosum and I wanted to post some photos of the enclosure so I can get everyone’s opinions and so I can make any adjustments before the spood arrives! Purchased from a Ma & Pop breeder which has 100% rating (here on AB) out of 22 reviews.

Since the T will be 3-4”, I measured from the top of the sub to the lid and it’s roughly 5.5”. I used a mix of topsoil and coco fiber for the substrate. I also tamped the sub down as tight as it would go. One half of the enclosure is more moist & the other side is drier. The fake plants are plastic with no sharp edges. I also soaked the fake plants in very hot water for about 12 hours (just to be on the safe side).

* Everything in the enclosure can be moved/taken out. I know some people hot glue fake plants to the inside of the enclosure (mainly for arboreals, I believe) but I didn’t know if that should be done for terrestrials. I know fake plants aren’t needed for T. albos but it looked so barren with only the hide and water dish. My main concern is the ventilation holes. Did I not put enough or did I put too many? There is 12 on the lid (6 on each side) and 22 on the sides (11 on each side). Any and all advice is deeply appreciated!

FC2FF90C-EC39-49E0-B7D7-EFC98411D326.jpeg
3408686A-36CA-4AC0-BA44-5C372538EF4A.jpeg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nice job :)
Are there holes in the lid as well? Most of the time I put one row of holes where you put them, and then one row of holes at substrate level.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
That would appear to be a kk, so the top should have some ridiculous ventilation. Unless it is restricted some how.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Does that lid secure in some fashion or is it just resting on the top? It looks like it just sits on the sides, and if so that would be a concern. Personally I'd go a little deeper on the substrate, but I may be overly cautious and tend to err on the "too little height is better than too much" side.

Also, it's T. albopilosus now, after the latest noun-gender correction.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
That would appear to be a kk, so the top should have some ridiculous ventilation. Unless it is restricted some how.
I don't think that's a KK - if you zoom in you can see the row of holes in the clear plastic lid, along the short side. I don't recognize the box, but from the pics and the fact that OP said she put 2 rows of six holes into the lid, I'm almost positive it isn't a kritter keeper.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Oh woops. That’s a completely clear lid :rofl:.

Think it one of them clear shoe boxes. I think another row near the middle of the lid wouldn’t hurt.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Personally, I would add more substrate as well, as @Pyroxian said. :) And secure the lid somehow. If it's not locking securely in some way, your T might push it open and take a stroll. ;)

Apart from that, it looks really nice! :) Ventilation is fine. As for the plants, well, my T. albo would turn them upside down if they weren't glued to something inside. She tried to bury the leaves and when that didn't work out too well, she tried to rip them apart... I really don't know why she seems to hate them. :p

Will you be getting a sexed female? Because at that size you mentioned they should be sexed already. ;)

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A little more subdtrate would not hurt, otherwise it looks good. Important that the lid is not too loose. Tarantulas are stronger than one might think. If it is loose, you can put some weight on the lid. Give us updates when you get the rarantula, please!

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
Does that lid secure in some fashion or is it just resting on the top? It looks like it just sits on the sides, and if so that would be a concern. Personally I'd go a little deeper on the substrate, but I may be overly cautious and tend to err on the "too little height is better than too much" side.

Also, it's T. albopilosus now, after the latest noun-gender correction.
I knew I was forgetting to ask something. (Face palm) What should I use for securing the lid? Is there a locking mechanism or something at Home Depot or Lowe’s? Or something along those lines I can pick up today? I’ve got plenty of sub left so I can top her off some more. Thank you!

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
Oh woops. That’s a completely clear lid :rofl:.

Think it one of them clear shoe boxes. I think another row near the middle of the lid wouldn’t hurt.
I was going to get a KK but then I realized the shoeboxes were sold in sets of two, so now I have an excuse to get another T. :cool: Haha.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I knew I was forgetting to ask something. (Face palm) What should I use for securing the lid? Is there a locking mechanism or something at Home Depot or Lowe’s? Or something along those lines I can pick up today? I’ve got plenty of sub left so I can top her off some more. Thank you!
Just put some weight on it

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
You ate mote creative than me.
This crossed my mind too. :rofl: I was thinking of putting “Common Spiders of North America” and “The Biology of Spiders” on top of the lid. At least the books would match what’s inside the enclosure lol.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I actually have some Velcro here! Awesome! Does the noise ever seem to bother your T’s too much? (The rip sound, for lack of better words lol)
Not by the sound but by the kind of vibration velcro does when you open it. But that's actually a great way to gauge the mood of my Ts. When they don't react at all, I know they're calm and won't mind me doing stuff in their enclosures. Sometimes, it's like a doorbell to let them know I'll be opening their enclosure and they scurry away. For example, my D. diamantinensis loves to sit right under the lid and she can't be bothered by me taking her enclosure down from the shelf... at all... the thing is, I really don't want her there when I want to do maintenance. :rolleyes: But as soon as I open the velcro she retreats into her web castle and we're good. :happy: The same with my C. elegans, that little runner! :rofl:
And should they start running around I don't even bother opening the enclosure. :p

It's not the fanciest option but it does a great job. :)

Last edited:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I actually have some Velcro here! Awesome! Does the noise ever seem to bother your T’s too much? (The rip sound, for lack of better words lol)
My daughter plays her trumpet in the same room as her T. So far, he's good. lol

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
At Amazon you can get a magnetic cabinet latch and glue it into place with epoxy or JB weld.

Mofi

Arachnopeon
I'd place the water dish behind the hide, if she starts to expand and excavate her burrow and the dish is in front then it'll instantly be covered with substrate

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
And thanks everyone for all the help & advice! I think I’m
Not by the sound but by the kind of vibration velcro does when you open it. But that's actually a great way to gauge the mood of my Ts. When they don't react at all, I know they're calm and won't mind me doing stuff in their enclosures. Sometimes, it's like a doorbell to let them know I'll be opening their enclosure and they scurry away. For example, my D. diamantinensis loves to sit right under the lid and she can't be bothered by me taking her enclosure down from the shelf... at all... the thing is, I really don't want her there when I want to do maintenance. :rolleyes: But as soon as I open the velcro she retreats into her web castle and we're good. :happy: The same with my C. elegans, that little runner! :rofl:
And should they start running around I don't even bother opening the enclosure. :p

It's not the fanciest option but it does a great job. :)
This is ingenious and I demand it be added to the Beginner Section. Lmao. Seriously, the “doorbell” to test mood is awesome! I love that idea. I’m working on it now. I’ve cut the Velcro to fit onto the top edges. Thank you for the idea & advice!