holy grail of tarantulas?

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't know about those BUT...

I really haven't heard much about the other mentioned BUT there is a new one that I have seen mentioned on a recent thread. I swear, if I had the money and guts I would fly to Brazil to grab a few of these Irdapelma seladonium.
Here is the link in case you haven't seen them yet.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=158026

Sit back and behold the beauty.

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Second this. This is the one that no one has. Its not available. It makes balfouri's look bountiful! The only way to obtain them right now is to go get them yourself, and get them out of brazil while avoiding a decade long + prison sentence. Then you have to get them through US customs. Then, you have one REALLY expensive and rare and gorgeous T!

I really haven't heard much about the other mentioned BUT there is a new one that I have seen mentioned on a recent thread. I swear, if I had the money and guts I would fly to Brazil to grap a few of these Irdapelma seladonium.
Here is the link in case you haven't seen them yet.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=158026

Sit back and behold the beauty.

arborealTs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
not necessarily the rarest... but poecilotheria subfusca definitely gets my vote for most beautiful!

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Purely a matter of opinion.

And mine doesn't stray far from the popular. Poecilotheria metallica is mine. And perhaps a T. blondi. I'm sure there's not many that would disagree that these two are hella cool.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The rarest probably isnt even in captivity and proably not even known to science.

violentblossom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You answered a different question than was asked. Which was,....

"what do u guys consider to be like the rarest and most highly prized of the tarantulas that people are just dying to have?"

My highlights, "rarest ANDmost highly prized"
"that people are just DYING to have?"

People can't be dying for it if it isn't known to anyone! (if that is what you mean by "known to science" :) If you mean it doesn't have a scientific name nor a full description published yet, we have plenty of those that come into the hobby. They aren't really "known to science", if that is what you mean. But they aren't always highly prized either! :) peace, ryan

P.S. did you check out that irodopelma! :eek:

The rarest probably isnt even in captivity and proably not even known to science.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish

In my opinon I personaly like Terrestrial Ts that have a decent size, but I did check out that I. Seladonium and it does look great and I would love to have one:drool:, I also checked out the chicken spider and this is the T that actualy got me into the hobby, a couple of months ago I wanted to know if it was possible to set up a communal tank for Ts like you can with scorps? I have two communal tanks for my scorps and wanted to do the same but with Ts and this was the one that would be the best to do it with.
.....Now if I could only get a hold of a couple:drool:......

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I already have both of them.Brachypelma Fossorium and Brachypelma Baumgarteni.I hope to breed both them this year.I'm just waiting on 1 of males of my males to mature of each species.I have plenty of females ready to go and plenty of males i'm waiting on maturing
molts.

Last edited:

Mr. Gone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In my opinon I personaly like Terrestrial Ts that have a decent size, but I did check out that I. Seladonium and it does look great and I would love to have one:drool:, I also checked out the chicken spider and this is the T that actualy got me into the hobby, a couple of months ago I wanted to know if it was possible to set up a communal tank for Ts like you can with scorps? I have two communal tanks for my scorps and wanted to do the same but with Ts and this was the one that would be the best to do it with.
.....Now if I could only get a hold of a couple:drool:......
T's are not social, nor are they sub-social, like emp scorps, while some people can do this, it is only with a select few species, and even then casualties/cannibalizations are common; I wouldn't recommend it.
Try using the search function on these forums and look up "communal pokie" in quotes for more info.

By the way...what in the world are you calling a 'chicken spider' tarantula?
what's the scientific name?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Warren!, there are T's which people are having good luck with right now. You still have to expect to loose one or all but one. It's still experimental. But
don't just seach pokie communals! I know of one Avicularia colony. I have heard a lot recently about Heterosella villosael (sorry,I messed up name), and Holothele incei. These last two are both dwarfs I think, and make cool webs too!

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You answered a different question than was asked. Which was,....

"what do u guys consider to be like the rarest and most highly prized of the tarantulas that people are just dying to have?"

My highlights, "rarest ANDmost highly prized"
"that people are just DYING to have?"

People can't be dying for it if it isn't known to anyone! (if that is what you mean by "known to science" :) If you mean it doesn't have a scientific name nor a full description published yet, we have plenty of those that come into the hobby. They aren't really "known to science", if that is what you mean. But they aren't always highly prized either! :) peace, ryan

P.S. did you check out that irodopelma! :eek:
Im saying thats the raresst and most highly prized is along a similar line as most north americans probably havnt even heard of species that europe and asia are paying big bucks for. Most species when first out become popular in europe before north america gets any so europe has alot rarer species 9not just t's) then north america as they will pay big money for them.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
O.K. Your last comment makes more sense that this original one. I just wanted to clarify, because I wasn't sure where you were going. :D

Anywho,

Is it really true that Europe gets MOST new species first? I know they have a handful of species we don't have here, but isn't the reverse true as well? I am not sure myself, I don't KNOW the answer, I am just a little suspect of giving Europeans THAT much credit! ;) J/k Euros! We love ya! New Tribe!

Is there a "wealthier" T consumer market in Europe? Is this a high class European hobby? Do all you Europeans sit around eating Grey Poupon and debating setae lengths? :) Or is it the Euro purchasing power???
All this living on credit and printing dollars endlessly finally bites us on the rear end???? :)

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T's are not social, nor are they sub-social, like emp scorps, while some people can do this, it is only with a select few species, and even then casualties/cannibalizations are common; I wouldn't recommend it.
Try using the search function on these forums and look up "communal pokie" in quotes for more info.

By the way...what in the world are you calling a 'chicken spider' tarantula?
what's the scientific name?
The chicken spider has no scientific name yet its Pamphobeteus spp its a black tarantula found in amazon that are known to live communally. There is also a species of frog that lives in there burrows as well.

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2009/07/tiny_frogs_and_giant_spiders.php

Here is a thread here with some pics of them

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=97715

This article makes a mention of them along with some intresting reads of spiders living with frogs. Searching will also bring up some intresting stuff on this species, there was thread with a good link floating around here a week ago.

This spider would be my holy grail as I love Pamphos.

Last edited:

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well

well the good news is it is only a matter of time. I have friends that have both the Pamphobetus sp "Chicken Spider" and I. seladonium so it will only be a matter of time before they make it to the US!!!!{D

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it really true that Europe gets MOST new species first?
Yes! This is due mainly because the U.S. has tough importation laws and flight code. In much of Europe you can bring miscellaneous stuff in with little hassle.
TBH

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well the good news is it is only a matter of time. I have friends that have both the Pamphobetus sp "Chicken Spider" and I. seladonium so it will only be a matter of time before they make it to the US!!!!{D
Those price tags ought to make metallica look like a dollar store pet! {D I can only imagine how shocking those dollar signs will be.
TBH

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Perhaps something that might not be a totally 'holy grail' of tarantulas but if I could get hold of a breeding pair of Lampropelma nigerrimum I would be a happy man. A real L nigerrimum too, not a mislablled ornithoctinus.

If I found one I'd like to be able to afford it too :) But that's a whole other issue.