Help!! T. blondi with fungus amongus!!!

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I appreciate the offer. Schultz and Schultz recommend a topical application of gentian violet or betadine for topical infections. They pretty much tell you to make peace with the spider gods for systemic infections.
As far as I know, the earlier poster jmb came the closest to suggesting actual treatment for systemic fungal infections.
Though that is one hell of a book!! I got my copy signed!!
dude how u get it sighned?thats the best book on spiders ever its an honor just to be talking to u on this thread because u got a sighned copy:clap: :worship: :drool: ............every1 will say lol to that but o well

JayzunBoget

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holy @#$$@# it's a miracle!!!!!!

Okay, maybe no more of a miracle than every tarantula undergoes every time it molts and performs amazing repairs upon itself. But I'm getting ahead of myslef.
This morning my wife pointed out that Gaia was in an unusual position up against the glass. I found her in a similar weird position just before my last post, and the prognosis was not good. I knew that either way, this was the day. As so many tarantula prognoses break down to, after all is said and done, she was going to molt or die. You don't want to know which outcome I would have wagered upon, based upon what I saw.
Anyways, my wife was listening to Christian Death (an industrial band not some dying Jehovah's witnesses, that's the basement {D ) and something made her check on the blondi. Hurray! Apparently Christian Death was just the inspiration a plucky little blondi girl needed to turn a page in her life and begin a new one with a brand new shiny exoskeleton!!!
I haven't taken any pics of her yet, as I don't want to disturb her yet. I will be adding pics of the inside of the abdominal cuticle where you can see the melanization from the inside, neat!!:razz:
I am sooo happy and relieved. My wife and I have bonded very tightly with this T as we fought for her and offered her what we could.
In the end, it was her own immune system that won the day. Chalk one more up for the ultimate veterinarian, Mrs. Mother Nature.
We thank you, everybody that offered advice and well wishes. Pics of a healthy blondi in about 5-7 days!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Congrats Jayzun,

I can't wait for the pics, you'll have to bring her by the shop when she's good and ready.

8ballphoenix

Arachnopeon
Four cheers for Gaia!!! :clap: :clap: What a relief!

It takes too much time to say 'I refuse'
Time is digging graves for the chosen few
Children dig graves for me and you
Describe the illness I'll prescribe the cure
start your two day life
on a two day vacation
I've got a spiritual cramp going for my ribs

-Christian Death (Rozz Williams version)
Spiritual Cramp
;P {D

jmb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You have NO idea how glad I am to hear this...

Anyways, my wife was listening to Christian Death (an industrial band not some dying Jehovah's witnesses, that's the basement {D )
Sorry - I thought *we* were the only ones who kept those in the basement (think something along the lines of "Dead Alive") :D

and something made her check on the blondi. Hurray! Apparently Christian Death was just the inspiration a plucky little blondi girl needed to turn a page in her life and begin a new one with a brand new shiny exoskeleton!!!
I'm *awfully* glad to hear that the fungus was an opportunistic type and not specifically entomopathogenic, and that things have worked out as well as they have :)

Definitely preserve the shed exuvia, if for nothing else than to take pictures (don't know what if anything could be cultured from it after even topical treatments).

I haven't taken any pics of her yet, as I don't want to disturb her yet. I will be adding pics of the inside of the abdominal cuticle where you can see the melanization from the inside, neat!!:razz:
I'm also very glad that your vet gave her the IVAB treatment, as substantial darkening of the internal body itself can/could have been a sign of internal bacterial infection (just as nebulously, of course, as it could as well have been a sign of particular viral infections....Sigh....). I just love vague symptomatic presentations :\

I am sooo happy and relieved. My wife and I have bonded very tightly with this T as we fought for her and offered her what we could.
And -- to purloin a phrase -- "You did a Man's Job, Sir."

In the end, it was her own immune system that won the day. Chalk one more up for the ultimate veterinarian, Mrs. Mother Nature.
We thank you, everybody that offered advice and well wishes. Pics of a healthy blondi in about 5-7 days!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
While I agree that Nature is the best defense, and particularly when it comes to invert pathogens, don't discount anything done by the DVM or yourself, as the odds are the opportunistic FP took a bite because of a weakened immune system, in much the same way FP's take a bite out of those humans who are immunocompromised in nature: I've heard of those with (A)IDS having lethal Fusarium infections (n.b.: Fusarium and Penicillium are two of the most commonly found genuses/genera in nature, and are mostly not ordinarily pathogenic to man.)

Looking forward to the pics, and I've got further information to relate to you, as well.

Take care,

~JMB

HollyLS

Arachnopeon
Ok!

Alrighty Jayzun, post the pics! I want to see! I am so glad she pulled through! Hooray for Gaia! :)

Holly

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have used asidolfelus( for yeast infecs) spg? on my "t"s and it worked. Also, and I know this sounds weird but, common cribelate spider (Kukalkania) web because it is antifungal and antibacterial you mix it with the substrait.
crpy