Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
While you're at the craft store grabbing some non-silk fake plants, consider picking up a long handled paint brush. They are a great tool for manipulating the T because they give so there is very little danger of injuring the T. Plus, if the T is feisty and bites it, their fangs just pass right through the bristles.
They are also good for separating out prey items. Look for one of the "fan tailed" brushes. They are sturdy enough to pull adult crickets out of plastic cups, but gentle enough to move tiny slings without injuring them. The long handled fan tail brush and the long tweezers are my two primary husbandry tools.

Botar

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not to offend, but I don't know how old you are, how long you've kept Ts, or if your father knows anything about this Poec you have, but it sounds to me like you are reasonably new to the hobby and your father hasn't any idea just what you have there... That is SERIOUS cause for concern. If this is your first T I'd STRONGLY recommend trading it in for something less toxic and slower until you have a firm grasp of the basics and a little more experience for your own safety and the safety of those with whom you share your house... You are at least knowlegable enough to know that this T DOES pack a serious bite, but to ignore this fact and use your bare hands to resolve this problem indicates that you do not take that fact serious enough to keep this T responsibly. I'm not trying to slam you here, but seriously, if teenagers going to the hospital for bites from this and other notably venomous species were to become a regular occurrance, it would make some people in high places start looking at how they could regulate the hobby at large, and that's something NONE of us wants. I've seen this concern voiced by numerous others in other threads, so I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The advice given here in regard to tongs, paintbrushes, and so forth, is all extremely good, but nothing can take the place of experience, and if you're starting out in the hobby by keeping a Pokie, it's just not a great idea. There are LOTS of fantastic T's, both arboreal and terrestrial that are much safer to learn the hobby, and once you've got the basics down (actual experience as opposed to just "knowing" or "having read") THEN I'd say go for it in regard to keeping more advanced species.

But above all, whatever you do, don't EVER put yourself in the position of being so easily bitten when it can be so easily avoided as you described in this incodent. Safety of the keeper and the people in the vicinity is the top priority for a responsible keeper.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
DUCK tape?!!=D
Aye, I questioned someone about that the other day - I always thought it was "duct" tape not "duck" tape.

Turns out it's both!

Is it Duct or Duck? We don’t want you to be confused, so we will explain. The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK. During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as “duck” tape (like water off a duck’s back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless.

After the War, the housing industry was booming and someone discovered that the tape was great for joining the heating and air conditioning duct work. So, the color was changed from army green to the silvery color we are familiar with today and people started to refer to it as “duct tape*.” Therefore, either name is appropriate.

Today, Duck® brand Tape is manufactured by Henkel Consumer Adhesives. After thoroughly familiarizing ourselves with the hundreds of duct tapes on the market, we have found Duck® brand Tape to be the most consistent in quality. And, we are delighted with the large array of colors that they manufacture (including camo tape and new “X-Treme Tape” which comes in hot day-glo colors).

Jim and I do lots of appearances promoting Duck® brand Tape and do so without reservation. Therefore, we go by both The Duct Tape Guys, and The Duck Tape Guys. And, we use the words Duck and Duct interchangeably throughout our web site.

So, whether you call it Duct Tape or Duck Tape... you are still using the “Ultimate Power Tool” in our estimation.

--- Jim and Tim, the Duck/Duct Tape Guys

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

Errr sorry about that, got carried away again. :eek:

bigTimeLoser89

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Telson
Not to offend, but I don't know how old you are, how long you've kept Ts, or if your father knows anything about this Poec you have, but it sounds to me like you are reasonably new to the hobby and your father hasn't any idea just what you have there... That is SERIOUS cause for concern. If this is your first T I'd STRONGLY recommend trading it in for something less toxic and slower until you have a firm grasp of the basics and a little more experience for your own safety and the safety of those with whom you share your house... You are at least knowlegable enough to know that this T DOES pack a serious bite, but to ignore this fact and use your bare hands to resolve this problem indicates that you do not take that fact serious enough to keep this T responsibly. I'm not trying to slam you here, but seriously, if teenagers going to the hospital for bites from this and other notably venomous species were to become a regular occurrance, it would make some people in high places start looking at how they could regulate the hobby at large, and that's something NONE of us wants. I've seen this concern voiced by numerous others in other threads, so I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The advice given here in regard to tongs, paintbrushes, and so forth, is all extremely good, but nothing can take the place of experience, and if you're starting out in the hobby by keeping a Pokie, it's just not a great idea. There are LOTS of fantastic T's, both arboreal and terrestrial that are much safer to learn the hobby, and once you've got the basics down (actual experience as opposed to just "knowing" or "having read") THEN I'd say go for it in regard to keeping more advanced species.

But above all, whatever you do, don't EVER put yourself in the position of being so easily bitten when it can be so easily avoided as you described in this incodent. Safety of the keeper and the people in the vicinity is the top priority for a responsible keeper.
well im 16 my dads had T's since he was a kid ive been keeping as my own collection since i was oh say ..5 or so we know what were doing and not very scared of a T bite... i think i rather get a bite then lose anthor T but anyways, i got new plants and a 12 inch paint brush:D and my indian ornamental is sitting on the side of a leaf and the cage,and anyways cant wait till she grows up, so i can breed her well anyways thanks for the concern