help me find the breed of my tarantula

cold blood

Staff member
I don't think it needs a bigger hide at all, rather the hide should be buried more to create a tighter place, which will be more inviting to a t. A pot broken in half is a better hide as well as then the t can burrow beneath it and create a home, with a whole pot, its not as much of a hide as it is a dead end.

As Jiacov mentioned, it really needs to dry out, there should never be water or condensation on the sides, in fact aside from a water dish, it should be dry in the enclosure.

I would also remove the large rocks, they are a danger should the t fall, and as you've probably noticed, a MM moves around and climbs a lot, thereby increasing the chances of a fall.

Also the distance from the substrate to the top should be no more than 1.5 DLS (diagonal leg span), so if its 5", there should be no more than 7.5" of height for the t...this keeps the falling distance at a "safer" level, again, because they can fall when climbing.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
"Bradley Rowbotham, post: 2439048, member: 113220"]I've been watching him move around it's quite fascinating the way in which they move
Oh boy, you're getting interested...this is how the addiction starts :)
I like to add that it's good to see you improving and asking questions. For someone who hates spiders and got stuck with one anyway, you're making a good effort!

Bradley Rowbotham

Arachnopeon
Oh boy, you're getting interested...this is how the addiction starts :)
I like to add that it's good to see you improving and asking questions. For someone who hates spiders and got stuck with one anyway, you're making a good effort!
Thanks

Bradley Rowbotham

Arachnopeon
O
I don't think it needs a bigger hide at all, rather the hide should be buried more to create a tighter place, which will be more inviting to a t. A pot broken in half is a better hide as well as then the t can burrow beneath it and create a home, with a whole pot, its not as much of a hide as it is a dead end.

As Jiacov mentioned, it really needs to dry out, there should never be water or condensation on the sides, in fact aside from a water dish, it should be dry in the enclosure.

I would also remove the large rocks, they are a danger should the t fall, and as you've probably noticed, a MM moves around and climbs a lot, thereby increasing the chances of a fall.

Also the distance from the substrate to the top should be no more than 1.5 DLS (diagonal leg span), so if its 5", there should be no more than 7.5" of height for the t...this keeps the falling distance at a "safer" level, again, because they can fall when climbing.
Okay thanks for your advice you have all been very helpful

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As i've said yesterday, there's no need for food (they think only to 0.1), nor everything else. It's a mature male, and mature males doesn't live that much after the 'maturity' molt. This vary of course but still.
Now you said that you don't like spiders and i assume you doesn't desire to jump in the hobby (correct me if i'm wrong).
IMO the only thing that you should do is: use 'England', your country, and give that MM to England enthusiasts. Don't worry, they will ID him ;-)
It's literally full England (not to mention the whole UK) of T's enthusiasts.
Even the spider would be happy.
I disagree. I think there's nothing wrong with feeding a mature male, as opposed to letting a MM die of hunger etc. I have a MM right now, he ate last night. I had a Rose Hair, MM, and it lived a full year plus, even molted at least once before literally time gave out.

I didn't know you European T keepers were such murderers! :D

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I have a MM P. Irminia that matured March 2015, so next month he's a year mature. I feed him once or twice a week one large cricket, and he hasn't turned one meal down. If they have access to water and food they can still live rather long for an MM.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I disagree. I think there's nothing wrong with feeding a mature male, as opposed to letting a MM die of hunger etc. I have a MM right now, he ate last night. I had a Rose Hair, MM, and it lived a full year plus, even molted at least once before literally time gave out.

Hey! I have a MM male as well,and I feed him! He stopped eating a month ago though,but I still offer him food.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

Ah ah, read the comment after (N°97). I forgot to add the "worry" word, had a big headache yesterday and in a rush :)