help me find the breed of my tarantula

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Looks like G. pulchra, as said before. And in the future, it isn't a tarantula "breed," it's a tarantula species. Each tarantula is its own species.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Looking at the picture closer you appear to have a mature male of whatever species it turns out to be. Notice the swollen "boxing gloves" for pedipalps? I'll bet it has tibial hooks under the front two legs at joint below the knee.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yeah that's a mature male... If you caught it in the U.S. that may be one of the mature male Aphonopelma around here. A lot of them become black like that when they mature or so I've heard. Then again it could be G. pulchra. Any more details?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I'd actually say that you might have a Lampropelma sp. "Borneo Black" there.
I thought that for a moment, but it lacks the distinct abdomen pattern and the hairs are much different. I'd also vote a male aphonopelma, if you look some of the hairs on the abdomen are brown as well which is not like the pulchra.

Addition: just did some googling, honestly that looks like the picture of the A. Jonnycashi circulating making me even more think Aphonopelma

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Bradley"s profile indicates he lives in England, I doubt he has an Aphonopelma johnnycashi
but maybe B sabulosum or B. angustum MM

cold blood

Staff member
so, yes? as handling is not exactly required for that task.

I'm not judging, I was just curious how.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Bradley"s profile indicates he lives in England, I doubt he has an Aphonopelma johnnycashi
but maybe B sabulosum or B. angustum MM
Excellent catch, that does really change the game I'm not so sure now.

cold blood

Staff member
That's one of the best statement i ever heard here. A legacy. A family legacy.
Here, son... receive my unnamed Theraphosidae, now it's yours. Was Grandfather, before. And before, before....

u_u
And its a male, so its not like its that old compared to a female.