Help!! Apartments are spraying for pests

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
It's crazy how common this is in the US. It's like they are not aware of what an "ecosystem" is, or at least not how important the role invertebrates play in it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
It's crazy how common this is in the US. It's like they are not aware of what an "ecosystem" is, or at least not how important the role invertebrates play in it is.
If nothing else, its pretty old news that all the bees are dying and everything else is suffering because of it. Who decided that purposefully killing a few million more on purpose is okay?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
That makes me sick. I would guess that there was no recourse either...
I haven't heard any updates on whether the beekeepers were offered any compensation. (For those who were properly registered as beekeepers, the county's liability seems clear.)

They haven't done any aerial sprays since then, just spraying every couple of weeks from their trucks. However, they do seem to be calling registered beekeepers now. (Although I don't actually keep bees, I registered to receive the reminders so that I can take precautions with my tarantulas on those nights.)

If nothing else, its pretty old news that all the bees are dying and everything else is suffering because of it. Who decided that purposefully killing a few million more on purpose is okay?
I think it was just an oversight by incompetent government officials rather than a deliberate decision to kill bees. Still, the idea of carpet-bombing an entire area with insecticides stems from a 1940s mindset. It would be more effective (and cause less collateral damage) to target only those areas where mosquitoes are likely to be present in high numbers.

This should be in addition to more common-sense measures like making sure that the water in the town's ponds is not stagnant. (The town's park has several shallow manmade ponds, and the water in all of them is completely stagnant and likely crawling with mosquito larvae.)

Giant Asian mantis lover

Arachnosquire
Hi Kira
I did some research and it looks like insecticides do affect asthma but that could lead to worse, they could ask you to stay in a different place for the next couple of days

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I lost a hive of bees last year possibly due to our city spraying. I had them in the center of town on the roof where I work. I didn't even think of the city spraying but one day the truck drove by and the fog went straight up to the roof. The next week I had no bees. I've since relocated my hive to my house but I haven't replaced my bees yet. On a side note, two doors down from my house is a pest control company and ironically enough I caught a swarm in front of their building that turned out to be their bees. They had a hive behind the building, which I knew about and a few weeks after I caught the swarm they told me their bees had recently abandoned the hive.

Kira

Arachnopeon
Hi Kira
I did some research and it looks like insecticides do affect asthma but that could lead to worse, they could ask you to stay in a different place for the next couple of days
I asked to be opted out due to asthma and basically got "sorry about your asthma, nothing we can do. It needs to be done.
We do have roaches. Those also cause asthma issues for me as well. We didn't know there was a pest problem when we moved in. Once this lease is up we are moving. These apartments are truly awful... when We first started seeing them we weren't sure if they were another bug. So we looked for their feces in cupboards and these guys PAINTED over a DEAD roach.
We were cleaning the house with things that repel them, but don't cause me any issues and we weren't seeing them anymore when doing so.
I'm an asthmatic mess.

Kira

Arachnopeon
Just tell them you have exotic pets and say that you wouldn't like them to spray the pets
I doubt it would have worked. Considering asthma can kill me and they didn't care. My exotic pets would not have made a difference to them. They sprayed and my boys are at a friend's till the end of the weekend. I miss them

cold blood

Staff member
No

That they didn't care about her asthma, which is life threatening
Fact is, as mentioned by the op, that a roach infestation will be worse for asthma.
Cold blood why are you so petty it's really annoying
I was being funny...sorry you have no sense of humor....if you are annoyed, please put me on your ignore list....I'm being petty?...lmao, what are you even talking about.

Kira

Arachnopeon
I will see what I can do about the letter.
Thank you for your help, it was much appreciated.

Could we not bicker, though. Some times jokes are needed in certain situations. In my case it's in most situations. It makes light of something that is stressful.
I understand that not everyone appreciates or gets cold blood's humor. But maybe approach it via private message.