Help!! Apartments are spraying for pests

Kira

Arachnopeon
My apartment gave us less than twenty four hours to prepare... I have two tarantulas in my closet. They're spraying all apartments for bed bugs and roaches.
I don't really have a place for them and I'm stressed out.
Will the spray kill them? Are they safe to stay here?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It will more than likely harm them. Remove them from the apartment for week or so, or refuse spraying in your apartment( if possible)

Kira

Arachnopeon
It will more than likely harm them. Remove them from the apartment for week or so, or refuse spraying in your apartment( if possible)
I don't think they'll allow you to not have them sprayed.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Exterminators use contact killers for the safety of the residents and any pets. Just don't put your tarantulas in a place where it's being sprayed.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Just an idea but if you have a large bin with a lid you could put your T's in there for a few days while your apartment is being sprayed. Like a storage tote to keep them in quarantine.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My apartment gave us less than twenty four hours to prepare... I have two tarantulas in my closet. They're spraying all apartments for bed bugs and roaches.
If at all possible, I would remove the tarantulas from the home during the spraying.

If you don't have adequate notice, or if you have no place to take them, the next best thing is to seal them with their own supply of clean air.

I had an issue last fall where the county, with only a day's notice (posted only on the town's Facebook page), decided to fly over the entire county dumping insecticide to kill mosquitoes. (They failed to notify the local beekeepers, killing millions of bees. :rage:)

Since I found out only hours beforehand, relocating my tarantulas was not an option. So I placed each enclosure into a large plastic bag, filled each bag with compressed air (not the canned "dusters"), and sealed each bag.

Since tarantulas have very slow metabolisms, this was enough oxygen to last for at least a couple of days. 48 hours later, I unsealed them. I did not see any adverse effects on any of my tarantulas.

Kira

Arachnopeon
My boys have been relocated for the next few days. That was stressful. I wish they would have given us more notice. I also have to transfer two kitties as well.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
My boys have been relocated for the next few days. That was stressful. I wish they would have given us more notice. I also have to transfer two kitties as well.
Rather safe than sorry. I thought this would be best. We dont get incidents of spraying and pest control much here. Unless it is outdoors.

@cold blood is there a better way to deal with this issue?

jaycied

Arachnoknight
You should look over your lease. In most areas it's illegal for the landlord to have anyone enter the rental without 24 hour notice.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would give a medical reason not to spray... allergy issues, asthma or some other respitory issue.....but OP seems to have it handled.
Suppose it would work if your health would be affected. I thought you were disagreeing on moving them from the home. It was the first idea that popped into my head as I thought whatever the landlord says goes.

It seems that 24hrs notice is a little short for somehing like this. Would expect a letter out at least a week prior.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Glad it got figured out. I do like the bag method or a large sealed container for a couple of tarantulas. Their breathing is passive and they could go a few days and be ok.

cold blood

Staff member
Suppose it would work if your health would be affected. I thought you were disagreeing on moving them from the home. It was the first idea that popped into my head as I thought whatever the landlord says goes.

It seems that 24hrs notice is a little short for somehing like this. Would expect a letter out at least a week prior.
haha..the disagree was totally accidental.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Will the spray kill them? Are they safe to stay here?
The spray and fumes will probably kill them, so just move them to be on the safe side. :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
From the different threads I have read on this topic over the years it seems like there are an awful lot of shady apartment complexes and apartments complex owners in this country.

Goldcup

Arachnopeon
Depending on the treatment you might be safe. Not worth the risk though! I have 35 plus T's and they are all kept at my office. By the way I own a pest control business!!

MossMan

Arachnopeon
Ah yes, the annoying "landlord sprays the bugs" thing. Every time this has happened to me I've just sealed the Ts in a large bin, the amount of air in a decent sized plastic tub could probably last a tarantula a few days to a week (their oxygen intake isn't very high). Actually this reminds me of a story about my mother's turtle and the termite exterminators. Maybe I'll share it some time