H. lividum Handling??

tarantulaballz3

Arachnosquire
so i got a cobalt blue as my first T cuz i didnt want to start of with any boring species.. i did my research, i know how pissy they are... i just wanted to know if anyone has a cobalt that they can hold and if so how did they do it?? :biggrin:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't advocate holding tarantulas at all.

But even if I were a holder, that is a particular species I wouldn't handle.

tarantulaballz3

Arachnosquire
I don't advocate holding tarantulas at all.

But even if I were a holder, that is a particular species I wouldn't handle.
just the fact that they're so aggressive makes me wanr to hold it...even if it's just one time...i was going to get a P. Murinus. But decided to start with H. Lividum, I really like the more aggressive OW species...

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't, especially until you get more experience. Tarantulas are unpredictable and get nothing from being handled. You are better off just observing.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1) They aren't aggressive.
2) Species name isn't capitalized.
3) You're in this hobby for the wrong reason.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Definitely not a species to handle (I personally don't promote handling either though.) Not a species you would want to take a bite from either. Not worth the risk at all, if you really feel that you need a spider to handle, get a docile NW species.

Just read your 2nd post in this thread, I agree with Joe 100%

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just the fact that they're so aggressive makes me wanr to hold it...even if it's just one time...i was going to get a P. Murinus. But decided to start with H. Lividum, I really like the more aggressive OW species...
It's your spider so do what you want, but all it will take is getting tagged by this species one time to change your mind. The question is, do you want to find out the hard way?
;)

tarantulaballz3

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry? I forgot you wrote the tarantula hobby bible.. I keep tarantulas becuause I like how intricate they are, I'm not some weirdo who sits in his room for hours messing with his T.. I just wanted to know if anyone had a way where I could at least touch it..once, I know it's not like an A. Avicularia or a G. Rosea...it was just a question.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sorry? I forgot you wrote the tarantula hobby bible.. I keep tarantulas becuause I like how intricate they are, I'm not some weirdo who sits in his room for hours messing with his T.. I just wanted to know if anyone had a way where I could at least touch it..once, I know it's not like an A. Avicularia or a G. Rosea...it was just a question.
Treat it like a fish for maximum enjoyment and for the health of the tarantula.

Added by Edit:

BTW a bit of searching would've turned up numerous threads on the pros/cons of handling and how people go about handling more defensive/spazzy species. Further, this is your first tarantula, you should really get some experience with tarantula behavior and attitudes before attempting to handle any tarantula, but especially something like your H. lividum.

Edit #2:

While Joe might not have written the tarantula hobby bible, he does have a LOT more experience than you do and his advice is worth remembering.

Boyd Blizard

Arachnopeon
I would rather handle my Red Diamond Rattlesnake than my Cobalt. Shes a pet hole and I will gladly trade her for something should it ever come along. She is scary.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Joe has far more experience in this hobby than you do, so if you're going to ask for opinions and then post something like this:

just the fact that they're so aggressive makes me wanr to hold it...even if it's just one time...
Then you have to expect the more experienced keepers to give you opinions that you may not like.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Honestly I'm not going to try and talk you out of it because you sound pretty set on holding touching poking prodding whatever. So here is where you post when you find out that they are multi-biters http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?4342-Haplopelma-lividum try not to drag the whole hobby down because you want to harass your T. Oh and if you look through the bite reports Joe has been biten by a H. lividum so ignore advice as you like.

tarantulaballz3

Arachnosquire
ok I'm not into messing with tarantulas I just wanted to know if someone had held it because I've seen handling vids. On youtube. I just wanted to know if there was like some special technique.. I know I'm inexpierenced, it was just a question cuz it's my first T so I'm kindof gettin really excited, and it got the best of me I guess.

---------- Post added 08-26-2011 at 03:35 PM ----------

Echolalia

Arachnosquire
Treat it like a fish for maximum enjoyment and for the health of the tarantula.

Added by Edit:

BTW a bit of searching would've turned up numerous threads on the pros/cons of handling and how people go about handling more defensive/spazzy species. Further, this is your first tarantula, you should really get some experience with tarantula behavior and attitudes before attempting to handle any tarantula, but especially something like your H. lividum.

Edit #2:

While Joe might not have written the tarantula hobby bible, he does have a LOT more experience than you do and his advice is worth remembering.
This all the way.

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joe is often less than tactful but he is right. He simply gave you a more blunt response than you wanted to hear.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Just stick your hand in there.
Make sure to let us all know how to goes.
Aaron you forgot to add to thump around and make as much vibration as possible....it helps if they don't have burrow to hide in too they really try to hug your body parts then

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
knock your self out i say,..

Just dont come crying when you've had your hand ripped off....

Austin

Arachnosquire
I say you should stick your hand down into its burrow :) that'd be sweeet