gravid?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
buthidae46290 said:
Have you been able to get an accurate count yet? Or are they still to cramed together...
No, they are off her back, but now they are in group under the cork bark. I would say 25+ for sure anyway. Eventually I'll have fewer of them due to cannibalism etc. I plan to get more (clearer) pics as soon as I see any of them away from the bark.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here are some shots of them roaming around. It has been said by the illustrious skinheaddave, that this species seems to move with such speed as to "teleport" from place to place. After taking 50+ photos of tails and hind legs, I find that the young are even faster than I could have imagined.

Attachments

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, today they started eating crickets. In some cases, up to four scorpions were seen feeding on each of the mashed crickets.

Attachments

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow that's neat!! My gracilis babes are doing the same thing now. It will be interesting to see how many molts before they turn black.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Wow that's neat!! My gracilis babes are doing the same thing now. It will be interesting to see how many molts before they turn black.
It was quite entertaining, as soon as I changed the water dish and chunks of cricket started raining down, they came out of every nook and cranny, shooting all over the place at warp-9. The air was full of the smell of fresh meat. I am also wondering about the blackening, but in this case the legs and chela should remain lighter for quite a while.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, I'll keep posting pics as events unfold with feeding and molting. There has been no cannibalism thus far, I have been lucky. I wonder if I can keep them full enough to avoid that?. When they start to molt at different intervals from eachother, I expect it will occur.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I gave them a whole bunch of live crickets today and they didn't disappoint.

Attachments

Last edited:

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
UPDATE!, they are all extremely fat and I expect they will molt to 3rd instar very soon. Still have no casualties, although last night I observed (under UV) that at leat one is grotesquely deformed. Despite daily feedings, there appear to be a couple that haven't yet fed. I will post pics as soon as they molt. :)

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those crickets are the fattest ones I've ever seen! Maybe that's why you're scorplings are doing so well. What are you gutloading them with?

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
Well, today they started eating crickets. In some cases, up to four scorpions were seen feeding on each of the mashed crickets.

Gotta be one of the coolest pics I have seen in a long time. So much going on.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hoosier said:
Those crickets are the fattest ones I've ever seen! Maybe that's why you're scorplings are doing so well. What are you gutloading them with?
I actually have to get my crickets a day ahead just to give them time to fill up on the food, it's a dry food called "cricket-bites" by Nature Zone. I tried all the other stuff and this seems to work best with no smell or mess.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
prang11 said:
Gotta be one of the coolest pics I have seen in a long time. So much going on.
Thanks, I had placed the food there in hopes that they would pose for the shot, I just didn't expect them to cluster so well. Now that they are about to molt to 3rd instar, I don't think I will get many more pics like that one. I do hope to get some of post-molt.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome Stan!!! :D
Reminds me of the chicken hawk and Foghorn Leghorn in the cartoons lol ;)

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Awesome Stan!!! :D
Reminds me of the chicken hawk and Foghorn Leghorn in the cartoons lol ;)
LOL!!, I never even thought of that. Last night I tossed in over 25 crickets and I see that there is only one left today. They are all digging individual scrapes right now. The mother is still eating 1-3 crickets a day, she looks like the "blueberry girl" from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. :D

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One very interesting behavioral observation I have made, is that this species engages in large amounts of "tail-wagging". I can look in on them at any time and witness this phenomenon whenever two of them encounter eachother.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My B jacksoni does the same thing I've noticed. I've always wondered the purpose of this.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
My B jacksoni does the same thing I've noticed. I've always wondered the purpose of this.
I find it quite remarkable, they seem to be using it as a sort of greeting/warning as if to "feel out" the other's intentions or activities.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah it does seem like it is. I notice mine doing it when they first come out in the evenings then they won't do it anymore that I'm aware of anyway.