gravid?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
awesome
congrats!
Thanks, now I have to get ready to feed/house them. I will put clear shipping-tape over the silicone in the tank-corners to prevent escape.

Attachments

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The conditions at the time of birth were, 85F and 55% humidity. I shall have to raise the humidity a tad more for a few weeks I suppose. Never had these as young, any A. bicolor-specific tips/advice would be very welcome.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have always been told to raise humidity slightly for babies but I still wouldn't want to raise it very much for any Androctonus spp.

btw Stan, I haven't seen that avatar in awhile :D

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I have always been told to raise humidity slightly for babies but I still wouldn't want to raise it very much for any Androctonus spp.

btw Stan, I haven't seen that avatar in awhile :D
Yes, I'm thinking not much over 60%?. I had to return to that avatar, it was time.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say you are about right on that. I can't say from experience myself though unfortunatly.

Did you ever have any of your gracilis to give birth?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I would say you are about right on that. I can't say from experience myself though unfortunatly.

Did you ever have any of your gracilis to give birth?
Yes, but that was easy, the humidity was already high. I just want to give these guys just enough and that's it.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Keep us updated on this. I find this rather interesting ;)

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Keep us updated on this. I find this rather interesting ;)
Besides drinking and feeding more often, the thing that made me really start watching her, was seeing her up on her tail and back two legs with her abdomen right against the glass where the heating pad is located.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's interesting. Seems like I've heard this behavior called "stilting"

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
isnt stilting before birth?

my Grosphus has been stilting on and off for the past 2 weeks!
(she is preg)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is what he said it was doing before it gave birth lol

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
That's interesting. Seems like I've heard this behavior called "stilting"
I think you mean when they extend themselves up on all eight legs, what she did was like an emperor trying to get out up against the glass. Also that "stilting" behavior is most commonly associated with excessive humidity.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
I think you mean when they extend themselves up on all eight legs, what she did was like an emperor trying to get out up against the glass. Also that "stilting" behavior is most commonly associated with excessive humidity.
Maybe that's it...I knew I read or heard something about stilting. ;)

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Stan,

congratulations to your fatherhood :).

You can keep the young communally until they are going to molt the second time. Every molting specimen will get eaten by the others. All Androctonus spp I raised are highly cannibalistic.

I´m not measuring the humidity level but I´m adding that amount of water once a week (and before molts) which is drying out in about two days. Daytime temperatures are around 90 F and 77 F nighttimes. Androctonus spp seem to like it really hot. The youngs should molt for the first time about a week after their birth (at least mine did under that conditions).

Regards
Alex

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nazgul said:
Hi Stan,

congratulations to your fatherhood :).

You can keep the young communally until they are going to molt the second time. Every molting specimen will get eaten by the others. All Androctonus spp I raised are highly cannibalistic.

I´m not measuring the humidity level but I´m adding that amount of water once a week (and before molts) which is drying out in about two days. Daytime temperatures are around 90 F and 77 F nighttimes. Androctonus spp seem to like it really hot. The youngs should molt for the first time about a week after their birth (at least mine did under that conditions).

Regards
Alex
Alex, thanks a lot for the information, it confirms what I had suspected. I'll keep you posted on the progress. :)

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
UPDATE!, the young are starting to darken very slightly, mostly in the post-abdomen. The mother refuses to move for fear of dropping the litter, have been crushing the heads of adult crickets and offering them to her at a rate of one per day, which she is eating. Temp is 84F and humidity is 60%, have placed clear shiny tape over corners of tank to prevent escape and placed a super-fine mesh screen over lid.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Stilting can also be caused by other factors such as a substrate that is too moist or mite problems...along with other causes.

John
];')