Gooty Ornamental...$450???

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
...I think we had already one or two discussions about how useful and meaningful common names often are! *LOL* why not call it "gooty powder blue"! ;P
I want a Gooty Blue Booty Ornamental! {D

Last edited:

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"the $400 price point makes it more likely that the P. metallica will only go to people serious enough about the hobby to ensure that each and every one that makes it to adulthood is likely to be bred"

i have to agree

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey! you guys are giving breeders more of a reason to charge more for them... :eek:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
da_illest said:
hey! you guys are giving breeders more of a reason to charge more for them... :eek:
I wouldn't say that, the fact that they thought they could charge wholesale prices that resulted in $300-$500 retail prices from day one says they already knew the exemplarly nature of this species. There are only two things that will alter the market value: competition and market saturation at a given price point.

The addition of someone else with eggsacs (which confirms that, although Hendrik's exportation was the only one done openly, other people have been smuggling them out of India) is that competition exists and has, at least temporarily, set the market value at about $300. However, there's not many and in a week or two we'll be looking at the $400 range price being the only ones left for sale since the fence sitters at $400+ prices will jump at the $300.

Besides, even if they wanted to keep prices high, that will only last so long. If suppliers attempt to keep the prices at the "exclusionary" $300+ range indefinitely, what you will wind up with is a scenario where the only people buying your $300+ slings are other people very serious about breeding themselves. There are two outcomes from that: one, eventually, even the serious breeders will be loathe to plunk down another $300+ for stock since the more they invest into their breeding stock the less chance they can recoup costs because, two, since the $300+ market is saturated and prices *will* drop significantly if they hope to unload their own slings in a timely fashion.

If there are multiple people sitting on smuggled WC stock in Europe waiting on them to drop sacks we'll probably see the $250 retail P. metallica before this time next year. It's all a question of how much competition there is with suppliers and how readily P. mets prove to reproduce in captivity.

Hendriks

Arachnopeon
Code Monkey said:
The addition of someone else with eggsacs (which confirms that, although Hendrik's exportation was the only one done openly, other people have been smuggling them out of India) is that competition exists and has, at least temporarily, set the market value at about $300. However, there's not many and in a week or two we'll be looking at the $400 range price being the only ones left for sale since the fence sitters at $400+ prices will jump at the $300.
Well... The 300$ Metallica Spiderlings was also bought from me in Hamm and there was no price drop other than the normal quantity discount. Well for now I have sold all my spiderlings of metallica(except 100 for future breeding) and there will go some time before the next cocoons arrives. I have talked to some of the guys with adult metallicas and for now there is only 1 cocoon which will be ready in a month... He told me that he would keep some for future breeding and the rest will be sold for the same price...

Hendriks

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hendriks said:
Well... The 300$ Metallica Spiderlings was also bought from me in Hamm and there was no price drop other than the normal quantity discount. Well for now I have sold all my spiderlings of metallica(except 100 for future breeding) and there will go some time before the next cocoons arrives. I have talked to some of the guys with adult metallicas and for now there is only 1 cocoon which will be ready in a month... He told me that he would keep some for future breeding and the rest will be sold for the same price...
Thank you for the information. I had not assumed this last group was from you, but I see I was wrong. I guess the elimination of part of the chain of middle men knocked $100 off the price. Only one more sac in the immediate future, man it's going to be an interesting next couple of years with this species :)

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The 3 metallica's I just recieved I paid 850 for, or ~ $283 a piece for. I wasn't going to get any at the 500, 450, 400 levels... but at 283 I snagged some.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
O.K. then... now I want to know why adult female g. roseas are selling at trade shows for $5.00. What are people thinking? The species is under appreciated, and now they are being given a low price tag! How can the market bear this price?

Oh, sorry.... :eek:

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Miz M,
G.roseas are imported in massive numbers (last I heard it was in the thousands). Their availability is not dependent on the breeding of a few adult specimens. P.metallicas cannot be legally exported, thus the high price on the available spiderlings who were born from smuggled adults.
Mike

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Lasiodora said:
Miz M,
G.roseas are imported in massive numbers (last I heard it was in the thousands). Their availability is not dependent on the breeding of a few adult specimens. P.metallicas cannot be legally exported, thus the high price on the available spiderlings who were born from smuggled adults.
Mike

Umm, it was a joke!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that I don't think $450 is really that high of a price all things considered. Yes, it is way more expensive than anything else in the hobby, and way out of my league (at the moment), but you have to consider what you're getting.

Although individual preferances may vary, this is THE most desireable spider as far as the hobby at large is concerned. Top of the line. I can't think of many collecting hobbies where the absolute best can be had for that cheap. In the herp world, $450 an animal is expensive, but not outrageously so. The herp hobbys' equivelent to P. metallica (meaning the hot new animal everybody wants, whatever it is at the moment) sells for THOUSANDS of dollars each. Tarantula keeping is still an inexpensive hobby, P. metallica notwithstanding.

Wade

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kind of off subject, but may I ask, what's the "average/recomended" US wage per hour? Me being a sudent I'm working at £4.50 an hour... So that's what, at least 50 hours to afford a metallica for me?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I didn't mean that everyone could afford one. I sure can't. There's a top and a bottom for everything, I also wish I had a better car, computer, TV and house, but I just have to make do with what I have.

Not everyone is going to get to have this spider right now, there aren't enough of them even if they were cheap. Those who want it will have to pay, and the rest of us will just have to wait and hope the price comes down eventually. I don't resent the dealers making there money where they can just beacause it's more than I personally can afford. If I was selling them I sure as hell wouldn't be giving them away!

Wade

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In the great scheme of things, the ideal price to sell anything at is the price whereby you make the most money and come as close to exhausting your supply as possible. If there is more demand than you have supply, you probably aren't charging enough. Considering everywhere I've looked is more or less out of stock on the P.metallicas, up to the $450 mark, I'm inclined to think that $450 was probably on the low side of what the market would bear...but on the other hand, it's been a month or two since they've been available, and I'm not sure how long it took the dealers to sell out. Either way, given the circumstances, I would consider $450 a 'fair' price. On the flip side, you won't see me buying one 'til they drop below the $200 mark...(you hear that dealers? Guaranteed sale at $199.99 right here.. ;) )

Cheers!
-Matt.

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm pretty new here so forgive me if I am way behind on 'current' info on this subject!

So I came across this post... I know that it's pretty darn old, but I am also wanting one of these T's... is it just me, or has the price went up even more since 2004? I can't even find one to buy... one person said that they had a female that they were considering selling and even at that the price was $600.

Can anyone here help me find one of these T's from a reputable seller? I have searched and searched with no luck! Of course, a female is what I would really like... but I sure would consider an unsexed juvy if the price is fair enough.

Thanks to all!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm pretty new here so forgive me if I am way behind on 'current' info on this subject!

So I came across this post... I know that it's pretty darn old, but I am also wanting one of these T's... is it just me, or has the price went up even more since 2004? I can't even find one to buy... one person said that they had a female that they were considering selling and even at that the price was $600.

Can anyone here help me find one of these T's from a reputable seller? I have searched and searched with no luck! Of course, a female is what I would really like... but I sure would consider an unsexed juvy if the price is fair enough.
They are only available when people successfully breed them, and when that happens is periodic to say the least. Their numbers in the hobby just aren't high enough to have them constantly available like, say, B. albopilosum. On the bright side, the price for slings has been pretty stable around the $150 mark in recent history. Just keep your eyes on the pricelists and they'll be back.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'm sure for the serious collector, who likely has intentions of breeding, that they are worth the price...however there are many very handsome tarantulas which don't cost nearly as much.
I was just in a thread talking about this same subject (sorta) and have to agree on the insane prices. I understand the entire price for breeding size T's but $400 for a T is over the top. The most I ever plan on spending on a T is around $100 to get my hands on a T. Blondi.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer

Thanks to all!
I dont see how $600 is considered remotely high. How? FOR a female?? I Think they are going for around $200 for unsexed spiderlings.. Think there is much profit then for the guy who has a female?
Consider:
The Guy purchases 5 slings for $1000, feeds and houses them. HOPEFULLY incurs no losses due to cosmic rays or whatever (;)), and still with pokies can reasonably expect 2 females (but hey, my four subfusca slings ALL MALED OUT:wall: )....So he does all the work and in theory can make a $200 profit, after aprox. two years?
And yes I know there IS value (esp with this species) in males, but I sent mine out with an expectation of 10-15% chance of success.
This brings me to another point that needs making :
This is a high demand/high value spider. A $600 female can produce for you (IN theory) a sac containing 50-75 spiderlings...So 25-37.5 for your half, equalling $2500-$5000.......POTENTIALLY. And what if you have a sub-adult male already? Do you see the potential?
I have one female, and perhaps even a second. I wouldnt consider selling them at this point, not even for $1000.
T

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the input...

I am only looking for one to have as a pet... I do not intend to breed, as I would have no idea what I would be doing :?

So if anyone knows of a reputable seller that has one for sale for a price within my budget... which is less than $600, I would appreciate it.

Heather