Good/bad about a GBB??

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Hey... I'm getting a possibly gravid female at the expo at the end of the month. The breeding was done by Tarantula Canada. They were working as an intermediary/delivery assistant, as I purchased it from another AB member in Montreal. It's a 50/50 with TC. Should we end up with slings I will be keeping some to raise to juvie but will definitely sell off some... gotta recoupe some of the money I put down for a MF GBB (wasn't cheap).

If that is the case I will post in the Canadian sub-forum.
I wish you both luck! We Canucks need more of these kicking around!

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like I'm preaching to the choir here...I love this species! Speedy, but not a teleporter. Very hardy, and downright beautiful, both as a sling and in maturity. A must have.

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good luck on your quest. You do need one. Keep looking, slings to come about from time to time.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pro: COLOR!! Active, hungry, webby, not really defensive, can be handled ( with care), super-easy care!, very very hardy.

Cons: flicks, but its hairs are kinda lame; shorter lifespan than most T's ( 10 - 12 yrs).

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pro...everything...Cons...If you buy from an online dealer they cost a LOT.And I mean a LOT.

TheTsupreme

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Theres many many good things about this sp like many have said. When the lights go out I always see my slings webbing, My slings dont hide and are hungry everyday when not in premolt.
cons: If you are eager and not patient and get it as slings their premolt days are a little bit to long. :D

Pro...everything...Cons...If you buy from an online dealer they cost a LOT.And I mean a LOT.
Not in europe ;)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK, i'll add to this. I think I have some that haven't been mentioned yet.

Pro's: The have the coolest color changes of any tarantula. I don't make that statement lightly, having raised several species of pampho's and Avics. Their colors are cool enough that non arachno-people are immediately drawn to it. No other species is as bright as these. Also they eat like rabid werewolves and grow like kudzu. Oh, and they put down about a gallon of web a day. They're also nearly as bulletproof as a P. murinus and as versatile in their housing requirements.

Con's: Flicky, skittish and fast. They're not even close to being a good handler for those reasons. That's not a problem for me but may be for some people.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Agreed 100%

The ony reason I don't have one yet is that I can't find one! I want to raise it from a sling, and none around here that I have found.
If it helps any, I got mine from Paul Becker. He's a wall-to-wall webber, alright! (The GBB, not Paul.)

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it helps any, I got mine from Paul Becker. He's a wall-to-wall webber, alright! (The GBB, not Paul.)
Nice, I'm planning on getting one from Paul, but I want to get a P. irminia also so I'm going to wait until then.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice, I'm planning on getting one from Paul, but I want to get a P. irminia also so I'm going to wait until then.
I have both and those two species are amazing webbers in different ways. Psalmos web crazy tubes up and down the cage and GBB pretty much web anything and everything. Really good eaters. Both of my GBBs remind me of Snoopy the way they just sit on their hide. I've still got lots to learn in personal experience with GBB. I've only had them for a week but I already love them.

Only con I could think of was a post Anastasia put on here recently about breeding. Most of Anastasia's males chickened out and it's not too uncommon for the female to treat them like any roach or cricket. :(

Drawback to having them I guess would be if you planned on breeding (and not having one or two).

Lilmetalallyson

Arachnopeon
GBBs are absolutely awesome!! I just got mine a couple days ago and i am in love with it. I got it for $45 on swift inverts, and it is amazing!! It is really active and fun to watch, and it ate right off the bat. its a pig. haha. :) they are a really cool species.

varanus dwarfus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As everyone has already mentioned, there aren't really any cons. If anything, I dislike that the slings are so difficult to photograph in vials (they tend to sit vertically on the wall or under webs).

They eat great, the energy they have while attacking prey makes it interesting to watch (they really pounce).

They molt often.

They are pretty as adults and slings. Watching them transform from molt to molt is great (much more drastic change than any of the brach's I've been raising).

Given their wild coloration they are fairly docile (seems most of the really colorful species hide more, or are more defensive).

Really, you can't go wrong. I didn't really want one at first to be honest... A friend suggested I try one. Within a month of getting my first, I ordered 3 more (haven't done that with any other species!).

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pros:
Gorgeous
Make fantastic webbed fortresses
Like it dry w/ a water dish
Eat like beasts

Cons:
Can be aggressive (Owned 7 and 2 were mean, the others were chill)
Hard to clean tank (webbing is thick and everywhere)
Price (can be quite high at times)

Agree with many of the other posters! This species is amazing looking as slings as well as adults! In my experience, they're hardy, very low maintenance, and, are always visible!

GET ONE NOW, you won't regret it!

Last edited:

nonrandomhero

Arachnopeon
I cant find one of these guys, theres one at a pet store near me, but they arent sure of the age, and I dont want a 4 year old male or anything silly. Its also $200. I dont plan on breeding or anything but i want something that I can at least enjoy for a few years.

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had GBBs in my collection since about 1997-1998 when some of the first ones started showing up in the hobby. at the time I was a newbie and had no idea what I was doing and managed to kill at least a dozen slings of other species but the GBB sling just kept going and growing. Unfortunately it turned out to be a male and died. This is definitely one of my favorite spiders in the whole world and no serious collector should be without one. I give these guys 2 thumbs UP!!!{D

Last edited:

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Given their wild coloration they are fairly docile (seems most of the really colorful species hide more, or are more defensive).
Eh...not sure I'd agree with that statement.

B. smithi
A. versicolor
C. elegans
C. ritae
C. cyaneopubescens
B. boehmi

Just a few of the colorful, docile species.
I won't even attempt to type the number of drab brown or grey pet hole species that will be happy to lunge at you.

varanus dwarfus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Eh...not sure I'd agree with that statement.

B. smithi
A. versicolor
C. elegans
C. ritae
C. cyaneopubescens
B. boehmi

Just a few of the colorful, docile species.
I won't even attempt to type the number of drab brown or grey pet hole species that will be happy to lunge at you.
Wait... so do you agree with me or disagree with me?

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wait... so do you agree with me or disagree with me?
I think it's tough to make a generalization like you made, given the colorful, docile species out there, and the MANY drab, aggressive pet holes.

"Given their wild coloration, they are fairly docile" implies a relationship that simply doesn't exist.