Gila Monster on the Front Porch

Dovey

Arachnobaron
It's never a dull moment here in Arizona. I love this guy--absolutely beautiful! For scale, realize that each of those tiles is 12in by 12in.

IMG_2108.JPG
IMG_2112.JPG

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Lucky. Love gila monsters. The thing that sucks about NE Ohio is the coolest wild herp you ever see is a snapping turtle.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Having wild snappers nearby sucks???
No, not having anything as cool sucks. I mean once a while you see a black rat snake or some other cool snake or turtle. But 99% of the time around where I live it's a garter snake or painted turtle. Snappers are fairly common too.

basin79

ArachnoGod
No, not having anything as cool sucks. I mean once a while you see a black rat snake or some other cool snake or turtle. But 99% of the time around where I live it's a garter snake or painted turtle.
I suppose you just end up taking for granted the things around you. A wood pigeon is about as exciting as it gets near me.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Meanwhile, in my area here in PH we have monitor lizards roaming nearby and some flying dragon lizards on the trees. All too fast to take photos, running the moment they spot you.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Let me tell you, I'm a lot more excited to see this guy on the front porch than I am when it's a diamondback! Yes, they have hissy, nasty temperaments, but if you leave them alone, they go their own way, lumbering off in a stately manner, exhibiting great chagrin that you would have the audacity to stare at them or poked at them with your camera! The rattlesnakes do the same thing, but they tend to do it fast--and they present much more of a threat in the meantime, feeling (as they do) trapped by the three walls of the front porch.

We've also seen an absolutely stunning little Sonoran coral snake there in the evening, but they are gone so quickly, there's never a chance for a photograph. Coral snakes are probably our most secretive herp, and sightings are terribly rare. It feels very special. I think they're the most attractive snake in North America.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I envy you...as a herper I’ve always wanted to visit Arizona as there’s nothing over here in Illinois (other than the amazing Timber rattlesnake, but they’re pretty rare). Do you often come across any venomous snakes?

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
So cool! All I ever find on my porch are frogs, oh so many snails and once a salamander. The frogs can be exciting though, sometimes they hop straight into the house and then it's a mad chase to catch them before the cat does.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight

Saw this frog last night while I'm sitting outside. First time to see one.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I envy you...as a herper I’ve always wanted to visit Arizona as there’s nothing over here in Illinois (other than the amazing Timber rattlesnake, but they’re pretty rare). Do you often come across any venomous snakes?
All the time! But I am about venomous snakes the way I am about tarantulas... Give them space and respect, and they'll go quietly on their way. The only time there is grief is when one of our terriers comes across a rattlesnake. We have lost a dog to a rattlesnake bite and spent many thousands of dollars on Veterinary bills when others have been bitten. It sounds terrible, but that is the cost of doing business in the desert. We are intruders in their habitat, and terriers have such profound predator instincts that they can't really be trained off of attacking a snake. We have exceptionally good snake fencing around the dog areas, which keeps down the conflicts. Sadly, it doesn't prevent them entirely.

As for human interactions, we just keep our heads about us and don't panic irrationally. You have to remember that the snake is a lot more fearful, and rightly so, than you are!

basin79

ArachnoGod
All the time! But I am about venomous snakes the way I am about tarantulas... Give them space and respect, and they'll go quietly on their way. The only time there is grief is when one of our terriers comes across a rattlesnake. We have lost a dog to a rattlesnake bite and spent many thousands of dollars on Veterinary bills when others have been bitten. It sounds terrible, but that is the cost of doing business in the desert. We are intruders in their habitat, and terriers have such profound predator instincts that they can't really be trained off of attacking a snake. We have exceptionally good snake fencing around the dog areas, which keeps down the conflicts. Sadly, it doesn't prevent them entirely.

As for human interactions, we just keep our heads about us and don't panic irrationally. You have to remember that the snake is a lot more fearful, and rightly so, than you are!
It's not often I have to explain a rating but this is one of those times. The "love" is for your absolutely fantastic attitude to the wildlife you're surrounded with. Realising you're the intruder.

If I could give 2 ratings, "sad" would be there too. I'm both a dog owner and lover and have lost 2 dogs before (in old age). For me there's nowt more gutting.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
and tarantulas and snakes and pretty much everything I’d want to see in the wild
Too bad, putting up malls is the trend in my country instead of nature parks. Room for wild animals are getting smaller and smaller. :(