Gila Monster on the Front Porch

aphono

Arachnobaron
How cool! It's so beautiful. Seems to be doing well. Never seen them in the wild but was shocked at how big they could get- some guy at a reptile expo had a massive one on display.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
How cool! It's so beautiful. Seems to be doing well. Never seen them in the wild but was shocked at how big they could get- some guy at a reptile expo had a massive one on display.
Yep. This one had to be 20 inches considering the size of each tile. This is about typical for the size we tend to see around here.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Yep. This one had to be 20 inches considering the size of each tile. This is about typical for the size we tend to see around here.
Invite me over for tea with Gila on the side... ;)

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I would be so tempted to put a collar on it and name it Spot....
Oh there are plenty of Arizona's finest who would be perfectly happy to put a collar on you if you did so. To say they are protected is putting it lightly! State troopers have been accused of setting people up by putting rubber gila monsters on the side of the road and waiting for drivers to stop and try to harass / take one home! Don't know if there's any truth to this, but it's a clever ploy if so!

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Oh there are plenty of Arizona's finest who would be perfectly happy to put a collar on you if you did so. To say they are protected is putting it lightly! State troopers have been accused of setting people up by putting rubber gila monsters on the side of the road and waiting for drivers to stop and try to harass / take one home! Don't know if there's any truth to this, but it's a clever ploy if so!
I just had a vision of myself sneaking through the Arizona desert in all black clothing, a black ski mask and night vision goggles searching for a new pet :rofl:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I remember reading about where they did a study which consisted of putting a fake turtle in road. They were shocked by how many deliberately hit it, some even crossing a double yellow line to do so. If they put a fake Gila monster out to catch morons like the ones in the study - more power to them.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh. My. Goodness. HOW. AWESOME!!

I have only visited once (nd driven through a few times), but Arizona has my heart. The wildlife and terrain are amazing! I was lucky enough to see a juvenile Gila on my trip there (for the ATS conference in 2016) and it was the most wonderful experience. They are incredible animals!

Also, one "love" rating is not enough to convey how brilliant your respect for the wildlife is. I wish more people saw it the way you do! And as a fellow terrier owner, I appreciate all the more that you understand how these dogs work. This post is just awesome!

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
I'm defintely going to move to a dessert couple years later :rolleyes:. The only thing I have here are wolf spiders(Not even big ones... They are tiny) and black widows(Super rare here, I saw a male once and it was gone before I realized it's a black widow).... The ants are kind of nice here but I can never catch a queen :mad:. Literally live in the worst spot for this hobby:shifty:.