Getting my first T

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
I have been interested In arachnids for a while. I've been lurking on these forums for I long time and have finally made an account. I have decided to get my first T, a B. Albopilosum. It's coming as a sling in a couple of days, and the leg span is approximately 1/2 inch. I have got a plastic container, that is slightly wider and taller than a 16 oz deli cup. I poked a row of holes on top for cross ventilation. I got a bottle cap for water, and for the substrate, I'm using Coco fiber mixed with peat moss. I have also provided it a cork bark for hiding, and Sphagnum moss beside it. Is there any advice for my first T, and other husbandry recommendations?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That sounds all good to me (but I'm still a newbie myself), but I guess it's best you post a pic of the enclosure. :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Although they can be kept drier when they have some size on them. As slings they need to constantly be kept slightly moist.

And I hate to ask, but you do have a lid right? Sounds silly but I've seen it before..

Be sure the vent holes aren't bigger than the spiders carapace. For spiders under 1", I use a needle to make ventilation.

Last edited:

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
Although they can be kept drier when they have some size on them. As slings they need to constantly be kept slightly moist.

And I hate to ask, but you do have a kid right? Sounds silly but I've seen it before..

Be sure the vent holes aren't bigger than the spiders carapace. For spiders under 1", I use a needle to make ventilation.
Thank you for the advice, but I don't have a kid, I am the kid.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have been interested In arachnids for a while. I've been lurking on these forums for I long time and have finally made an account. I have decided to get my first T, a B. Albopilosum. It's coming as a sling in a couple of days, and the leg span is approximately 1/2 inch. I have got a plastic container, that is slightly wider and taller than a 16 oz deli cup. I poked a row of holes on top for cross ventilation. I got a bottle cap for water, and for the substrate, I'm using Coco fiber mixed with peat moss. I have also provided it a cork bark for hiding, and Sphagnum moss beside it. Is there any advice for my first T, and other husbandry recommendations?
They don't like walking on sphagnum moss

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
That sounds all good to me (but I'm still a newbie myself), but I guess it's best you post a pic of the enclosure. :)
Thanks Thekla, I am just working on fully setting up the enclosure, and once it is done, I promise to post a picture.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
On small slings, especially in a 16oz deli cup, I have stopped putting holes in them. Their breathing is more passive and there is more than enough air to go a week or longer with the air that is inside. I haven't lost one spiderling and have found it easier to maintain some moisture. I've been doing this until they start getting bigger. I started doing that from advice of another who maintains large numbers of slings after I literally lost 4 P. bara because, while I thought the holes were small enough, those little ones got out.

Hiruma26

Arachnopeon
I'd take that bottle cap out, slings that size don't really need a water dish. They might even drown on it. Just spray on the side of the enclosure so it has droplets of water to drink. Enough substrate to dig and, that is pretty much it. I have 1 3/4" (just molted). They're so easy to take care of.

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
I'd take that bottle cap out, slings that size don't really need a water dish. They might even drown on it. Just spray on the side of the enclosure so it has droplets of water to drink. Enough substrate to dig and, that is pretty much it. I have 1 3/4" (just molted). They're so easy to take care of.
Thanks for the advice, can I ask what kind of substrate do you use?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Slings can not drown in a bottle cap of water. They will actually float on top of the water because their hairs are hydrophobic. It's always a good idea to have a constant water source

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They will not drown, so don't worry about that. Although I agree that a water dish is not essential for 1/2"slings. Just keep a moist spot in the sub and your all set.
That enclosure size may be a little large for a 1/2" spider. I keep anything under 3/4" in vials, makes monitoring the sling easier, and it will be less likely to hide all the time.

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
They will not drown, so don't worry about that. Although I agree that a water dish is not essential for 1/2"slings. Just keep a moist spot in the sub and your all set.

That enclosure size may be a little large for a 1/2" spider. I keep anything under 3/4" in vials, makes monitoring the sling easier, and it will be less likely to hide all the time.
Does it matter if I keep in a vial or the enclosure?

Hiruma26

Arachnopeon
Slings can not drown in a bottle cap of water. They will actually float on top of the water because their hairs are hydrophobic. It's always a good idea to have a constant water source
Oh yeah, I didn't even realized that. They're so light I don't think they would even sink. I'm so used on seeing my OW occasionally bolting straight to the water dish and taking a plunge like a kid on a pool. That's what instantly got into my head when he said bottle cap and water. Sorry for the misleading info...

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Oh yeah, I didn't even realized that. They're so light I don't think they would even sink. I'm so used on seeing my OW occasionally bolting straight to the water dish and taking a plunge like a kid on a pool. That's what instantly got into my head when he said bottle cap and water. Sorry for the misleading info...
It's all good. This board is for learning, after all :)

Elchaco94

Arachnopeon
Sounds like too big of an enclosure to me. I keep slings that small in something not a whole lot larger than a pill bottle. 1/2" is a lot smaller than you may think.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
You could keep it in that enclosure, but you'd have to keep a more watchful eye on the prey if you don't prekill them (lots of people on here suggest prekilling, I personally never have though). The prey could elude the sling and hide out and potentially harm the sling later.

Slings also seem to behave a little more timidly in larger enclosures because it's generally more open so they feel more vulnerable.

That being said, the few slings I do keep in slightly larger enclosures than may be necessary (because other options would be too small), made intricate little burrows, seem content enough and don't seem too intimidated by their enclosures

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Having it in something smaller will make things easier for both you and the sling. When you house small slings in overly large enclosures they:
1. Hide a lot more.
2. Have a poor feeding response.
3. As a result of factor 1-2 grow at a slower rate.

Once it hits 3/4"-1" then you can rehouse.