Future Planning : P. cambridgei or P. formosa

P. cambridgei vs P. formosa

• Poecilotheria formosa

• Psalmopoeus cambridgei

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I vote P. cambridgei as a first, then the pokie later down the road. 6.25'' AF P. cambridgei.jpg
Can't go wrong with a Ceratogyrus species! Ok, I'm a bit biased when it comes to the fossorials.
F C. darlingi.jpg
No obts in my collection, don't like orange, but have P. lugardi and chordatus. More docile species compared to their cousin, the Orange Bitey Thing. Lol!

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Shouldn't I buy the OBT first as a "Training" Tarantula?
No, a P. cam would be better. OBTs are the opposite of what you would want, as they grow incredibly fast, and will become a little monster well before you are ready to deal with it. Prior to that they are very easy, which can easily lull a new keeper into a sense of false confidence. Then one day, bam, totally different spider. They're insane fast, with potent venom. They are also stupid cheap and always available, so there shouldn't be a rush. After a year with a cambridgei, the obt will be a better choice...although I also prefer Ceratogryus. Less photosensitive, less skittish, webs just as much and are way way more visible IME. Their defensiveness is even less frantic

Cams are better because their speed prepares one for the OWs without the consequence of potent OW venom or significant defensiveness. And while they are fast and somewhat skittish as slings, they actually calm with age, and considering they are extremely fast growers as well, this means that you have an easier t to raise and lean from....As I always say...work smarter, not harder. JMO

OBTs look nice, but they really hate to be seen...well, they hate everything.....what I mean is that every time you get a look, they tend to bolt to hide. IME the larger they get, the less you see...its amazing how a blaze orange 5.5" T can not be visible at all from any angle despite it being near the glass as the web is so thick its almost impenetrable.

Last edited:

Arialflash

Arachnopeon
No, a P. cam would be better. OBTs are the opposite of what you would want, as they grow incredibly fast, and will become a little monster well before you are ready to deal with it. Prior to that they are very easy, which can easily lull a new keeper into a sense of false confidence. Then one day, bam, totally different spider. They're insane fast, with potent venom. They are also stupid cheap and always available, so there shouldn't be a rush. After a year with a cambridgei, the obt will be a better choice...although I also prefer Ceratogryus. Less photosensitive, less skittish, webs just as much and are way way more visible IME. Their defensiveness is even less frantic

Cams are better because their speed prepares one for the OWs without the consequence of potent OW venom or significant defensiveness. And while they are fast and somewhat skittish as slings, they actually calm with age, and considering they are extremely fast growers as well, this means that you have an easier t to raise and lean from....As I always say...work smarter, not harder. JMO

OBTs look nice, but they really hate to be seen...well, they hate everything.....what I mean is that every time you get a look, they tend to bolt to hide. IME the larger they get, the less you see...its amazing how a blaze orange 5.5" T can not be visible at all from any angle despite it being near the glass as the web is so thick its almost impenetrable.
Okay, so I should get the P. cambridgei first then get the OBT or Ceratogyrus?

cold blood

Staff member
I would suggest a cam and then a Ceratogryus (you could even get a Ceratogryus first then a cam, it all depends IMO on what direction you want to head, like if you really liked arboreals or were really into fossorials), but once you have raised a cam for a year (males mature in about that time, females are typically over 4" in that time), you could go with an OBT...

I just suggest Ceratogryus because they are IMO, a more interesting t, that you really see a lot of. Its stll a heavy webber, but they are much less bolty, and often sit calmly, even with a light right on them....this visibility, IMO, gives a newer keeper a better learning experience, as its easier to learn about a ts behaviors when you can observe these behaviors.

Plus a t with a horn is just soooo cool and unique. And they may not be orange, but they are still patterned very nicely.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My formosa are all high strung, more than any of my other Poec species. They're not a good Poec to start with.

Arialflash

Arachnopeon
I would suggest a cam and then a Ceratogryus (you could even get a Ceratogryus first then a cam, it all depends IMO on what direction you want to head, like if you really liked arboreals or were really into fossorials), but once you have raised a cam for a year (males mature in about that time, females are typically over 4" in that time), you could go with an OBT...

I just suggest Ceratogryus because they are IMO, a more interesting t, that you really see a lot of. Its stll a heavy webber, but they are much less bolty, and often sit calmly, even with a light right on them....this visibility, IMO, gives a newer keeper a better learning experience, as its easier to learn about a ts behaviors when you can observe these behaviors.

Plus a t with a horn is just soooo cool and unique. And they may not be orange, but they are still patterned very nicely.
I'll do that. I don't really like orange angry venomous blobs anyways.....

cold blood

Staff member
Should I get C. darlingi or C. marshalli?
Whichever you prefer. IME the darlingi are a little more defensive and are a little more likely to hide. Marshalli IME grows a little bit faster...both are great eaters, even when small.

Arialflash

Arachnopeon
How can you go wrong with black and gold?
Yep, really cool dude, I don't even know that species existed until now! I dont think they sell those here in Indonesia tho... Maybe some suggestions on an alternative T that is native to Indonesia?

Arialflash

Arachnopeon
Change of plans, I saw a D. pentaloris sling and absolutely fell in love with it lol. Should I get it? How do I care for it?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Maybe some suggestions on an alternative T that is native to Indonesia?
Very few Ts native to Indonesia, 2 that are: Lampropelma nigerrimum and Lyrognathus lessunda. I know zero about L. lessunda, you can Google it, not in the pet trade here in the U.S. The L. nigerrimum is, a large semi-arboreal, maintains a burrow throughout its life. Give it a cork tube and you'll rarely see it, a cork slab and you will. Will threat posture if provoked, usually bolts to its burrow when disturbed.
Check your local laws, some countries require a permit to keep native species, just precautionary advice.

You can you ABs search function and find care info on nearly every species thats kept by hobbiests. ;)

Arialflash

Arachnopeon
best choice yet....a NW.
Yeah, I think I'll get D. pentaloris then get a P. cambridgei.
Very few Ts native to Indonesia, 2 that are: Lampropelma nigerrimum and Lyrognathus lessunda. I know zero about L. lessunda, you can Google it, not in the pet trade here in the U.S. The L. nigerrimum is, a large semi-arboreal, maintains a burrow throughout its life. Give it a cork tube and you'll rarely see it, a cork slab and you will. Will threat posture if provoked, usually bolts to its burrow when disturbed.
Check your local laws, some countries require a permit to keep native species, just precautionary advice.

You can you ABs search function and find care info on nearly every species thats kept by hobbiests. ;)
What about Selenocosmia javanensis?